Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
While they're shown the controller, I think right now Sony is aiming for a system box that will be just slightly bigger than the first PS3 "Slim" model.

Don't be surprised that the PS4 includes two new features:

1. HDMI 2.0 support to interface with 3840x2160 resolution "4K" displays at upscaled resolution even at 30 frames per second (HDMI 1.4 supports 3840x2160 only at 24 frames per second).

2. 802.11ac Wi-Fi adapter support, especially with the expected drop in 802.11ac Wi-Fi routers later this year.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

Awesome!!!! Even if you don't want a Playstation 4 this is good news cause this will put serious pressure on MS to also not block second hand games as they'll have to go it alone (unless they want to give a serious edge to Sony).

The more I hear about the PS4 the more I'm excited. Though I do fear the rumor this time they will charge for online features is probably true (judging by the fact they actually put some real effort into making them appealing and didn't mention they will be free. As some one else said in this thread, they'd probably mention that cause that's a big selling point... maybe we're lucky and it just means they haven't made up their mind yet).

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Let me guess, you tried Android a couple of years ago and haven't seen the latest and greatest Android has to offer. And you're comparing that to current iOS...? :rolleyes:

If not, then you're either lying, trolling, or saw a messed up Android device.

I actually own an S3 with Jelly Bean while my brother owns the iPhone 5. I know which is smoother and more pleasant to use. I regret getting the S3.

PS. Ever since the first iPhone I always have noticed how smooth the animations are.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I'll replace my PS3 with a PS4, hopefully the release price will be more reasonable this time and I won't have to wait a year and a half to buy it like I did with the PS3 (in 2008 after a price drop).

erawsd

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2011
While they're shown the controller, I think right now Sony is aiming for a system box that will be just slightly bigger than the first PS3 "Slim" model.

Don't be surprised that the PS4 includes two new features:

1. HDMI 2.0 support to interface with 3840x2160 resolution "4K" displays at upscaled resolution even at 30 frames per second (HDMI 1.4 supports 3840x2160 only at 24 frames per second).

2. 802.11ac Wi-Fi adapter support, especially with the expected drop in 802.11ac Wi-Fi routers later this year.

Sony's has already confirmed 4K video/picture support but not for games.

Bantz

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
Cant wait for the new xbox, I image it will carry on the excellent games and services the 360 has. No one can compete with the xbox.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Cant wait for the new xbox, I image it will carry on the excellent games and services the 360 has. No one can compete with the xbox.

Apart from Sony, Nintendo and Steam, it seems.

----------

Sony's has already confirmed 4K video/picture support but not for games.

Makes sense that it won't be 4k for games. 24fps would be pants for gaming!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Sony and Nintendo are both leaking money

If that was actually the case, why do they still put out the highest-rated first party games this generation? Are you interested in games or finances?
Sony's gaming side has been healthy. Nintendo continue to sell the most (barring the WiiU at the moment) than anyone else. Are you worried about them?

Last edited:

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Let me guess, you tried Android a couple of years ago and haven't seen the latest and greatest Android has to offer. And you're comparing that to current iOS...? :rolleyes:

If not, then you're either lying, trolling, or saw a messed up Android device.

I played with a days-old Samsung Galaxy S3. It was indeed, laggy and choppy compared to my iPhone.

C42D

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
It's like a telephone with a cord still attached. and a rotary dial. ....the last gasp of a dying company. iTV will make gaming consoles obsolete in 5 years. Yes, you too, Microsoft.

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
I don't care about the controller's touch screen. Just make it not have awkwardly-placed thumbsticks, bad triggers, and a bad shape. The XBOX 360 has way better controllers.

Says you! The xbox controller sucks. I'll admit the triggers on the DS3 aren't great but everything else is just fine. I hate everything else on the 360 controller. Sony is not going to make their loyal PS3 gamers upset just to please a few whiny 360 fanboys.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
It's like a telephone with a cord still attached. and a rotary dial. ....the last gasp of a dying company. iTV will make gaming consoles obsolete in 5 years. Yes, you too, Microsoft.

I don't understand why that is the case. Aside from cheap non resellable games, what else would Apple bring to the gaming market (in terms of game playing experience)? It seems pretty straight forward, you put a disc in and play the game, the OS and whatnot are supposed to get out of the way when that is happening, so what is there to improve in that process?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I don't care about the UK, so I don't have this pissy attitude toward's Sony and this apparent lack of trust in the company.

You're the one with the "pissy attitude".

I made a simple comment that Sony had previously promised to launch the PS3 and PS Vita in time for Christmas and had failed on both occasional with actual launch coming months later. And it's not just the UK. As far as I remember they only managed to launch in the US and Japan on time. The rest of the world had to wait well past Christmas.

Forgive me if that makes me a little sceptical of their plans this time.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I did watch, and they didn't release all those specs at the meeting. As the link you provided even states, the spec sheet releasing full details was released later, after the meeting.

They did reveal some of the specs at the event, just not all of them. I'm sure most people were more interested in watching the game demos than learning that the PS4 would have a blu-ray drive, USB 3.0 and HDMI ports.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Oct 9, 2011
I don't care about the controller's touch screen. Just make it not have awkwardly-placed thumbsticks, bad triggers, and a bad shape. The XBOX 360 has way better controllers.

The interface looks better than whatever MS can make, but I hardly know anything about it. I know that I like the PS3 interface waaaaaaaay better than the 360 interface. Wanna play a local multiplayer game? Plug in another controller. Wanna do that on an XBOX 360? D00d you need to sign in br0! Wanna play online? There, enjoy. Wanna do that on a 360? You must subscribe to XBOX Live. You want Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Copper, Helium, Germanium, or Hydrogen Phosphate? Too late, you slow, RRoD, bai.

and it's people like you are misinformed,first off sony ps3 you can have the option to auto sign in or manually sign in as well as the xbox 360,i never have to manually sign into xbox live when my console is turned on i am singed in within seconds,secondly don't bash xbox live for what they give you it's worth it half of those features psn don't have and you guys have been crying for them since the ps3 has been out,sure ms has had product issues but so did the ps3 with the yellow lights and many defective ps2 units,as stated users posting non sense,mind you i own both ps3 and xbox 360 console and hands down the 360 trumps the ps3 for an online play,but it's also funny how you can bash ms but also forgot to mention how sony has had there psn network breached with millions of credit cards compromised you know what they say YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
and it's people like you are misinformed,first off sony ps3 you can have the option to auto sign in or manually sign in as well as the xbox 360,i never have to manually sign into xbox live when my console is turned on i am singed in within seconds,secondly don't bash xbox live for what they give you it's worth it half of those features psn don't have and you guys have been crying for them since the ps3 has been out,sure ms has had product issues but so did the ps3 with the yellow lights and many defective ps2 units,as stated users posting non sense,mind you i own both ps3 and xbox 360 console and hands down the 360 trumps the ps3 for an online play,but it's also funny how you can bash ms but also forgot to mention how sony has had there psn network breached with millions of credit cards compromised you know what they say YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

You don't pay for PSN. You don't give them your credit card. There's nothing a hacker could steal from you by hacking PSN.

You clearly didn't read what I said about the 360 except for maybe one in 3 words. For local multiplayer, each person has to sign into an account (not XBOX Live but can be). It just takes much longer than it should since each person has to press A like 10 times just to enter the game.

----------

Says you! The xbox controller sucks. I'll admit the triggers on the DS3 aren't great but everything else is just fine. I hate everything else on the 360 controller. Sony is not going to make their loyal PS3 gamers upset just to please a few whiny 360 fanboys.

I'm not a 360 fanboy, FYI. I like the PS3 better. I don't own either because I don't really like either in general.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
You don't pay for PSN. You don't give them your credit card. There's nothing a hacker could steal from you by hacking PSN.

You clearly didn't read what I said about the 360 except for maybe one in 3 words. For local multiplayer, each person has to sign into an account (not XBOX Live but can be). It just takes much longer than it should since each person has to press A like 10 times just to enter the game.

----------

I'm not a 360 fanboy, FYI. I like the PS3 better. I don't own either because I don't really like either in general.

Finally, someone who speaks sense. I don't see all the hype with console gaming. I like to just sit at my desk and play games on my iPhone, maybe it's just because I'm a workaholic.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Oct 9, 2011

----------

actually many people had there cc on file for psn for the ps store and other items that required a credit card on file with psn,once again obviously you don't know what your talking about

and yes i did read what you said clearly,for another person to log into xbox live to play multi player isn't that hard if they want to sign into there account yes they have to recover a gt or a fast way would be sign into a guest account which take seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bantz

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
If that was actually the case, why do they still put out the highest-rated first party games this generation? Are you interested in games or finances?
Sony's gaming side has been healthy. Nintendo continue to sell the most (barring the WiiU at the moment) than anyone else. Are you worried about them?

Yes because if Nintendo and Sony go bankrupt my preordered ps4 and wii u will be worthless.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yes because if Nintendo and Sony go bankrupt my preordered ps4 and wii u will be worthless.

Profitable game divisions, plenty in the bank (in the case of Nintendo, weren't they the 3rd richest company in Japan recently?). Nothing to worry about.

----------

Finally, someone who speaks sense. I don't see all the hype with console gaming. I like to just sit at my desk and play games on my iPhone, maybe it's just because I'm a workaholic.

Same here, but I use handheld consoles. There's nothing quite like Zen Pinball 2 on the Vita or Pokemon B&W 2 on the 3DS. I don't get much time for my consoles because I work too much making games for those machines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.