Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
I´ve waited already for almost 2 months for the new iMac. Now I´m told by Apple if I want to have the SSD price cut, I´m gonna have to go back in line and wait another 4-6 weeks.

I would skip the iMac and buy a Mac Pro if they were available, but they are not available either.

What´s with Apple not having ANY powerful computers in stock or available for many months to come? Why are they treating their loyal customers this way? I always could trust Apple, but not anymore.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I feel your pain. I've been through 3 27" iMacs so far, and had to return them all. Went for a 2.6 i7 Mini and just can't stand the display issues and buzzing noise (plus its noisy as hell when running Handbrake). I had sold my 2011 13" MBA and 2011 21.5" iMac to upgrade everything, but I'm having so many issues that I wish I would have just held off. (Heck, even my new iPad 4 is having image retention issues).

At this point I have Apple sending me my 4th iMac (wasn't going to do it, but the issues with the Mini and the $250 credit Apple has given me makes the cost of a brand new iMac a little easier to swallow). But at this rate they'll be in the refurb store a few weeks after I finally get a working one.

And I still need a laptop too...

ApplesAOranges

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2011
They should manufacture the Macs in US, but I guess greed is more powerful than making quality products with good delivery times.

Using cheap labor is just pure greed and creates all these problems.

----------

Do you have an Apple store nearby? Check there because some stores have them in stock.

No I don´t, besides I ordered with the SSD, so those are probably not available at the stores anyways, although they should be!

yourashero

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2009
I feel your pain. I've been through 3 27" iMacs so far, and had to return them all. Went for a 2.6 i7 Mini and just can't stand the display issues and buzzing noise (plus its noisy as hell when running Handbrake). I had sold my 2011 13" MBA and 2011 21.5" iMac to upgrade everything, but I'm having so many issues that I wish I would have just held off. (Heck, even my new iPad 4 is having image retention issues).

At this point I have Apple sending me my 4th iMac (wasn't going to do it, but the issues with the Mini and the $250 credit Apple has given me makes the cost of a brand new iMac a little easier to swallow). But at this rate they'll be in the refurb store a few weeks after I finally get a working one.

And I still need a laptop too...

I went through several screen issues on my late 09 27" imac. I won't do it again. I cringe at how nice I was through the entire process of getting an ok imac that kept yellow tinge. I just got tired of dead pixels and random shutdowns.

I'm now told I have to wait another 2 weeks past my original delivery date. I feel like a fool waiting 6 weeks for a product thats been out for over 2 months when I know apple wants to make it seem like "its a hot item that you just can't get your hands on!" Its the same thing nintendo did with wii.

I LOATHED windows 4 years ago, but I am seriously considering doing it right this time and building my own desktop, and putting a good third party AV on it.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I´ve waited already for almost 2 months for the new iMac. Now I´m told by Apple if I want to have the SSD price cut, I´m gonna have to go back in line and wait another 4-6 weeks.

I would skip the iMac and buy a Mac Pro if they were available, but they are not available either.

What´s with Apple not having ANY powerful computers in stock or available for many months to come? Why are they treating their loyal customers this way? I always could trust Apple, but not anymore.

What are you talking about??? Where are you shopping for yours?

dvdlovr24

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2008
They should manufacture the Macs in US, but I guess greed is more powerful than making quality products with good delivery times.

----------

I just got mine in today from Apple and it was manufactured in the US yet it still took three weeks from the day I ordered it to get it.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
I just want a 15" laptop. But if I get a retina I know I'll be overpaying. Especially for a 750gb SSD. If I go with a non-retina, I'm spending $2000 on outdated hardware.

I just want a work computer that isn't ridiculously overpriced or outdated.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008

I fail to see how manufacturing in the US will change anything. And besides, a portion of Macs is manufactured in the US anyway.

The reason why the iMacs take so long to deliver is because of the shortage of the components and the difficulties with the new manufacturing process. There is actually lots of information on this exact issue in these forums.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I find it insanely hard to believe you've received 3 defective imacs from apple. This is usually a case of user error when such a streak of bad luck comes from any product.

As for mini's humming. Which mini? the 2011 mini running at maxed cpu is pretty much silent. I think the highest I've seen the fan was like 3800 rpm and I was astounded to see it get that high. only then was there any perceptible noise from it. Do you keep your macs in poor ventilation?

Liquidstate

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2012
Pacific Northwest
First of all, I agree with the OP. The Mac product line has become increasingly chaotic for those in need of a productivity machine. I'm still on the fence after months of research and lurking MR. Some of this is due to the long wait for the MP. But some of us don't need that kind of power and expansion, yet need to get stuff done. IMO, all the current Mac desktops require serious compromises.

Regarding the Mini noise issues, this is one issue in particular that has people on both sides of the issue, without any clear resolution. From what's been reported, the 2.6 i7 Mini's appear to have the most noise complaints. So maybe a 2.3 i7 is a better choice as far as noise is concerned.

Does the increased power of the 2.6 create this issue?

jeffreyfranz

macrumors member
May 21, 2012
California
ApplesAOranges

----------

Based on corporate America's history of cooking the books, destroying their own manufacturing infrastructure, deserting their workforce(s), and then getting the taxpayer to foot the bill whenever it all falls down, what makes you think so?

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
I find it insanely hard to believe you've received 3 defective imacs from apple. This is usually a case of user error when such a streak of bad luck comes from any product.

As for mini's humming. Which mini? the 2011 mini running at maxed cpu is pretty much silent. I think the highest I've seen the fan was like 3800 rpm and I was astounded to see it get that high. only then was there any perceptible noise from it. Do you keep your macs in poor ventilation?

You don't work for Apple, do you?? These are the same things they are telling me (that it's user error). But here's the synopsis:

First iMac - seemed perfect, except Target Display mode failed to work. Screen would flicker blue, and then just settle to black. The MBA I was connecting to the iMac is showing the iMac as a screen in Display Arrangement, but I could not actually see anything on the iMac. (And yes, I tried raising the brightness to no avail.)

Second iMac - Connected immediately to the First iMac and initiated Target Display mode (Second iMac was a second screen to the first iMac). This worked. Left it this way and used both iMacs for a few days and started getting horrible image retention (would take hours for it to fade away and not be noticeable).

Third iMac - Having sent the First iMac back, but retained the Second iMac, I immediately set up the Third iMac as a second screen to the Second iMac. This worked as well (or at least I think it did), but then I started noticing image retention on both iMacs. Connected an iMac to my TV and still noticed IR issues on the iMac (note - I believe IR is exacerbated by the use of a second display, be it a monitor, TV or another mac in Target Display mode). Then, after switching the Third and Second iMacs around on my desk (moving the second one to be on the left and the third one to the right) Target Display Mode stopped working again (or so I thought)...

2012 2.6 i7 Mac Mini - Enter the Mini. Having packed up the Third iMac and leaving the Second iMac on my desk, I connected the brand new Mini to the iMac and initiated Target Display mode, and BAM, nothing. Screen flickered blue, but dropped back to black with no backlight. This time, I had some windows open since it was now the main display for the Mini, and I noticed I could see the outline of different windows. Looking closely I could see that technically the iMac was working, but no backlight was on to actually display the images. Talked to Apple support a number of times and they are still working on it. I moved the iMac back off to the left side of the desk again and set the Mini up in its place. Tried Target Display mode again a few days later and it WORKED! But why its hit or miss is a mystery still.

Unless Apple really isn't supporting TDM or using an iMac with a second monitor, I don't think it can be user error. I will note that I have a Tewlvesouth HiRise stand that the iMacs are sitting on, and unless that is causing some kind of grounding issue, I can't believe that is to blame at all.

As for the Mini's hum, it sounds more like a power supply hum (or maybe HDD). The fans top right out at 5500rpms on Handbrake since the Mini has poor ventilation as many have noted. Don't get me wrong, its a very powerful machine, but being 2 feet in front of me those fans are like white noise generators and I can't take business calls while sitting right in front of it.

Any of this sound like user error? (Seriously, am I doing something wrong??)

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
where is this mini sitting that its getting such ridiculous heat? What's the ambient office temperature? Is this area not climate controlled? Is it in a confined space?

Most of the complaints I've heard of involve computers at high load in horribly ventilated areas that have a generally high ambient temperature. In such circumstances, virtually any computer will be load.

Of course, the noise might be your optical drive... Particularly in light of how loud they can run. However, if your fans are running at 5500 rpm for extended periods of time, you're doing something wrong. If its permanently at 5500rpm, a temperature sensor was likely detached.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Nobody is waiting 2+ months, unless they ordered from a 3rd party. I hope the $5 savings was worth it. (Or, perhaps, the opportunity to "defer" your sales tax payment.)

Should be common knowledge by now that on a supply-contrained Apple product, you order from Apple or you don't order.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Nobody is waiting 2+ months, unless they ordered from a 3rd party. I hope the $5 savings was worth it. (Or, perhaps, the opportunity to "defer" your sales tax payment.)

Should be common knowledge by now that on a supply-contrained Apple product, you order from Apple or you don't order.

In your case, you can drive to the Christiana mall in Delaware and get what you want from the apple store to defer sales tax.

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Hard to believe the refund story because Apple has a price protection plan that is very clear. Please refer to your countries policy. Here in Thailand, it's the same as the USA. Within 14 days of receiving your product, you can get the difference. Speak to Apple care about your case, be polite and refer to Apple policy.

As far as defective iMacs, mine is nearly flawless and I love it. Quiet during all Apps, fast, but have seen slight IR two times and my rep sent me a replacement which I will get in a few weeks with advance replacement.

Be careful with all the doom n gloom folks, the only reality is LG displays tend to have a higher rate of defects and that's a shame.

MadJens

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
The delivery times really are ridiculous. There is absolutely no excuse whatsoever, in this day and age the delivery times are weak! I cancelled my order at the Apple Store after seeing over that period, that a reseller got 2 shipments of every iMac configuration while nothing was moving at Apple during February. And instead of 1 year warranty I also got 2 years warranty, I mean get your stuff together Apple, really!

mtngoatjoe

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
You don't work for Apple, do you?? These are the same things they are telling me (that it's user error). But here's the synopsis:
Any of this sound like user error? (Seriously, am I doing something wrong??)

Have you tried using a different cable? Some cables can be pretty finicky, they'll work one minute and not the next. They might work with one machine, but not another. Maybe you could borrow one? Good luck!

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
I've been through 3 27" iMacs so far, and had to return them all.

Either you have the worst luck in the world, or you are a bit OCD about your computer. There simply aren't that many quality issues out there for you to statistically end up with three bad units.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.