Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uncleMonty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Making a slideshow - I understand you can't have a transition longer than the still photos on either side of it. Is there a way to obtain a long fade-in (say 10 seconds) from white at the beginning of the slideshow, where the first photo starts appearing immediately?

I can have this:
blank white screen (5 secs) --> cross-fade transition (4 secs) --> first real picture (5 seconds),

but this results in 5 seconds where nothing happens, a 4-second fade-in to the first image, then that first image remains on-screen for 5 more seconds.

What I would like is something like this:
blank white screen (0.5 sec) --> long cross-fade (takes 10 seconds for image to appear at full darkness) --> first real picture (stays for 1 second longer, after the cross-fade is completed).

I know iMovie won't let me do it that way if I try to proceed normally. But does anyone know of a way to "fake" this sequence of events? It doesn't sound complicated enough to be impossible...

TheKnifeFight

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2008
Socal
Just put a white background in from a title slide (no text) that should do it. Or drag a white jpg into your timeline and use that.

uncleMonty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Well, that's exactly what I've done, but it still gives me the problem of durations: either I have to sit and stare at a completely white screen for a long time before the transition starts, or if I make the duration of the initial white screen short enough then the transition is forced to happen too quickly.

I'm trying to have a short duration on the empty white screen before the fade-in starts, a long fade-in, then a short duration on the completely faded-in first image.

admwright

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2008
Scotland
Would it work to take the original image and use a graphics program to make it 50% faded (50% white layer). Then you have white to 50% image and 50% image to full image, hopefully without any stutter with the extra image transition.

uncleMonty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Good idea - but it doesn't solve the waiting before and after the transition. You can have this:

White screen (5 secs) --> cross-fade (5 secs) --> 50% image (10 seconds total including the transitions) --> cross-fade (5 secs) --> 100% image (10 seconds) --> transition to second image etc.

There are 5 secs of nothing at the beginning before the first transition starts, and 5 secs of the fully visible first image before the next transition.

Does anyone understand why iMovie imposes this apparently arbitrary rule about transitions not lasting longer than half the duration of the stills around it?

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
I'm certain you can have a slideshow of stills in iPhoto and you can adjust the sliding scale to the time you require.

uncleMonty

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2012
Can you not adjust your transition timing by clicking on it? It seems silly to have such a long transition.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1098

----------

Did you read the page you linked to? The very first thing it says on that page is: "Summary: You can change the duration of the transitions in your video project, setting how long it takes for one clip to transition fully to the next. Transitions can be no longer than half the length of the shortest adjacent clip."

That last restriction is what I'm trying to get around.

As for "it seems silly to have such a long transition" - really, you can't imagine ANY artistic use for a long fade between two stills? Or a long fade-in to the first image?

----------

I'm certain you can have a slideshow of stills in iPhoto and you can adjust the sliding scale to the time you require.

ok... but I need to use iMovie, not iPhoto, as there are many, many things iMovie lets me control in my movie.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
Have you tried the Ken Burns effect in iMovie?. Also once you have assembled you movie in iPhoto move it to iMovie.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.