Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a.gomez

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2008
I still hate the idea of "post PC". None of these portable devices replaces a laptop or a desktop computer. Its simply Post PC because Apple said so, and people like to do what they are told.

There is none, all these numbers say is that there are no more feature phones - just about everything is a smartphone. There has not been a 20% world sales decline on PCs in the past year.

This is just wanting to see something in the Data

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
I don't buy this graph as meaning the PC/Laptop are going away..

I owned a laptop in 2010, and 1 iPhone.. that was a 50/50 marketshare, since then i've purchased an ipad, and another iphone, now my laptop is only 25% of my marketshare.. But that doesn't mean i don't use it just as much. Its my main vehicle for anything, just because i have 3 other tablet/iphone devices, does not mean i'm doing less work on the laptop..

I agree with the other posts on here that say these are "complimentary" devices, that will not replace true PCs.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
This doesn't necessarily mean that people are using less PCs and laptops.

It could be that just as many people are using PCs/laptops but they are also buying smartphones/tablets as well. So, there are the same number of PCs/laptops but more smartphones/tablets.

That would explain the percentage changes, just as well.

Without more information, don't jump to conclusions too quickly.

This.

******** chart is ********.

All the chart actually proves is that a greater volume of Smartphones are being sold, thus pushing down the overall percentage of desktop systems being sold. It also doesn't factor in that desktop systems are slowing in performance growth, so there's not as much reason to upgrade as often, leading to slower sales numbers.

They need to indicate the total sales numbers for each type of device. What you would find is that the overall market is growing, but most of the growth is of course in the smartphones and tablets, while desktops are flat or a slow decline.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I don't buy this graph as meaning the PC/Laptop are going away..

I owned a laptop in 2010, and 1 iPhone.. that was a 50/50 marketshare, since then i've purchased an ipad, and another iphone, now my laptop is only 25% of my marketshare.. But that doesn't mean i don't use it just as much. Its my main vehicle for anything, just because i have 3 other tablet/iphone devices, does not mean i'm doing less work on the laptop..

I agree with the other posts on here that say these are "complimentary" devices, that will not replace true PCs.

I agree with your general reasoning, but I'd say with the iPad and iPhone is definitely do not use my traditional PC's "as much". Any web page, email, game, music app I run on my iOS devices I most likely would've done by desktop or laptop before. I think the iOS devices have taken at least *some* "computing" share from the other stuff.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
This.

All the chart actually proves is that a greater volume of Smartphones are being sold, thus pushing down the overall percentage of desktop systems being sold. It also doesn't factor in that desktop systems are slowing in performance growth, so there's not as much reason to upgrade as often, leading to slower sales numbers.

They need to indicate the total sales numbers for each type of device. What you would find is that the overall market is growing, but most of the growth is of course in the smartphones and tablets, while desktops are flat or a slow decline.

That is by definition called Post-PC.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
This.

Exactly.

Plus... what is the point of grouping smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops in the same chart anyway?

Laptops and tablets I can see some parity... but a smartphone and a desktop?

IDC may be trolling us :)

Oh and they did break it down by category:

idc-3.jpg

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
LOL.... I would prepare more than just popcorn... how about an early beer with fried calamari or chicken wings??? :D

Too bad I gotta get some work done, so I won't be able to hang around. Enjoy!

I'm heading out for pizza. Think I will bring my iPhone with me but leave my PC at home.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Apple may have less than 20% of the marketshare, but from that meager number they have about 80-90% of the global profit in this space. I think they are probably much happier with their position vs. the rest. You can't spend marketshare.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple may have less than 20% of the marketshare, but from that meager number they have about 80-90% of the global profit in this space. I think they are probably much happier with their position vs. the rest. You can't spend marketshare.

I prefer:

"You can't pay your rent with market share"

:D

MacBookR2012

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
Post PC? Not that simple

OF COURSE there are going ot be more portable devices than desktops in use today. In my house we have 1 desktop PC, but also 3 portable PCs, 2 tablets and 4 smart phones. I didn't replace my desktop with my laptop, table or smart phone.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Plus... what is the point of grouping smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops in the same chart anyway?

Right, this is like grouping sales of cars, trucks, motorcycles, scooters, segways, and motorized skateboards together, and concluding something about the post "horse and buggy" market.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Desktop PC's are just for work and work is boring.

All other time is party time, and that's for portable party machines.

Oh wow, you know what I'm not even going to bother pointing out how many things are incorrect with that statement. In just going to sit back and hope you realise.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
OF COURSE there are going ot be more portable devices than desktops in use today. In my house we have 1 desktop PC, but also 3 portable PCs, 2 tablets and 4 smart phones. I didn't replace my desktop with my laptop, table or smart phone.

Does anyone remember the exact quote from Steve Jobs regarding this "Post PC" movement?

Surely he didn't say the personal computer is dead... Apple still sells Macs after all.

And you still need a Mac to develop iOS apps! :D

frabber

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2008
Apple and we the consumers need a cheaper iphone variant.
Yes we in the west too.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
It's not much of a comparison between Apple and Samsung. it's a lot like Comparing a Mercedes S Class with an entry level Hyundai. The numbers do not tell the real story. Samsung gives away close-top, cheap plastic boxes which are probably just the thing to get your ten year old who will drop it or lose it. Brand S is picking up the bottom of the market at a lower price point and lower profit and they treat their customers accordingly. Not everyone can afford or appreciate the Mercedes S Class which is why there are beaters.

Samsung is the Toyota of phones. They have a million models and three different brands (Lexis, Toyota, and Scion) that cater to all markets with multiple options. Some people call that SMART.

S class is no longer all that btw

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Not really surprised Samsung are on top. They do have about a million different devices to sell. :rolleyes:

Yeah damn them for catering for different markets across different countries with different amounts of cash to spend. Those bastards how dare they. :rolleyes:

You know (and this may come as a shock to you) its actually possible to support Apple whilst still accepting that their competition are clearly doing something right.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Post-PC is a myth. Yes, they'll be used less by them who don't need them. Overall, they're not going anywhere. Nothing but marketing spin to convince the masses that their perfectly good PC devices are dated.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
The iPhone is available on over 120 carrier around the globe.

The difference is... Samsung makes phones that retail for $80 unlocked in developing nations. No wonder they have a huge amount of shipments/sales.

Not that it's a contest or anything ;)

Well, here in the U.S., where it matters the most to me, it's just AT&T (Sprint and Verizon don't even cross my mind), and it's killer!

I do have my iPad on a grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan, which I will never let go.

My XDA HD2 Android is on T-Mobile, but I wish it was an iPhone instead. Someday....

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Well, here in the U.S., where it matters the most to me, it's just AT&T (Sprint and Verizon don't even cross my mind), and it's killer!

I do have my iPad on a grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan, which I will never let go.

My XDA HD2 Android is on T-Mobile, but I wish it was an iPhone instead. Someday....

It's your problem if you choose to exclude the other 2 major nationwide carriers in the US.

Oh... and the iPhone is on many regional carriers as well.

Bottom line... the iPhone is on many carriers in the US... it's not "just" on AT&T

Maybe it's your particular location... and that's an infrastructure problem.

But again... the iPhone is on many carriers in the US

mysticalos

macrumors member
May 8, 2007
Desktop PC's are just for work and work is boring.

All other time is party time, and that's for portable party machines.

You must not do any heavy tasks then. If you want to play a game greater than angry birds, you need a good machine. Some laptops are pretty good, but nothing beats a strong solid desktop for gaming or serious production stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.