Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Battery and starter were replaced last September so I know battery couldnt be that dead. When put in the key to start nothing happens. All silent no noise No lights at all. I did not leave anylights on as I got home in the day time too. What could be happening? I had my oil changed about two months ago as well.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Sounds like the battery ... do you have jumper cables / a neighbor that can jump you?

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Sounds like the battery ... do you have jumper cables / a neighbor that can jump you?

I will try in a few once my parents are back. I still don't understand the battery is only about 4 months old. Could it be that it is extremely cold here? Last time I filled anti freeze was about 4 months ago but then if it was engine or something wouldnt the light at least come on?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I will try in a few once my parents are back. I still don't understand the battery is only about 4 months old. Could it be that it is extremely cold here? Last time I filled anti freeze was about 4 months ago but then if it was engine or something wouldnt the light at least come on?

Yes, the cold can cause a battery to not give enough power to start.

If it was the starter, the lights would come on.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
Yes, the cold can cause a battery to not give enough power to start.

If it was the starter, the lights would come on.

Yeah 4 months ago it cracked but not start. Aparantley my battery was really bad and my started too so both got replaced. So I'm still wondering what's going now.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Yeah 4 months ago it cracked but not start. Aparantley my battery was really bad and my started too so both got replaced. So I'm still wondering what's going now.

My best guess is the battery - whether it is actually drained or just frozen, I can't know for sure.

You could try warming the battery somehow, or jumping it. Once you get it started, it will be important to leave it running for a while.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
My best guess is the battery - whether it is actually drained or just frozen, I can't know for sure.

You could try warming the battery somehow, or jumping it. Once you get it started, it will be important to leave it running for a while.
OK I'll get back to you with results. Thanks So much!!!

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
lets say the alternator was dead? wouldi get some lights at least?

It's not the alternator ... it only works once the engine in running.

At least, that isn't your immediate problem - the alternator could be dead as well, which could explain the dead battery.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
It's not the alternator ... it only works once the engine in running.

At least, that isn't your immediate problem - the alternator could be dead as well, which could explain the dead battery.

So say I jump start and car still won't come on. Then its the alternator?

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
lets say the alternator was dead? wouldi get some lights at least?

The alternator charges the battery when the engine is running. It doesn't do squat if the engine is off. The easiest way to test the battery is with a multimeter. If it shows less than 12 volts then the battery is kaput. Even with 12 volts, the battery might still be bad. You need to test it under load to see if it's truly bad. Most auto parts shops can do that for you.

An easy test to see if the alternator is bad is also with a multimeter. You should be getting 13-15 volts with the engine running.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas

No. If it was the alternator, the car will start and run, but when you shut it off (after it's been running for a while, at least an hour) it will not start again.

The alternator charges the battery and provides power for the electrical system when the car is running. If the alternator is dead, everything runs from the battery.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
No. If it was the alternator, the car will start and run, but when you shut it off (after it's been running for a while, at least an hour) it will not start again.

The alternator charges the battery and provides power for the electrical system when the car is running. If the alternator is dead, everything runs from the battery.

So If I jump start and It turns on and say I drive it for a bit then turn it off. But when I turn it on and it doesn't come on then its the alternator

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
So If I jump start and It turns on and say I drive it for a bit then turn it off. But when I turn it on and it doesn't come on then its the alternator

Possibly. The only way to be sure is to take it to a mechanic if it does that.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away

No, and no.

If your battery is as dead as you've described, it's entirely possible that (1) you won't be able to jumpstart the car, and/or (2) simply driving it around for a bit won't charge the battery enough for you to restart the engine after shutting it off.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
No, and no.

If your battery is as dead as you've described, it's entirely possible that (1) you won't be able to jumpstart the car, and/or (2) simply driving it around for a bit won't charge the battery enough for you to restart the engine after shutting it off.

How long to leave it on?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
If you get car started, around 20 minutes should give it sufficient charge. Just make sure no one take off with it. And don't have it running in an enclosed area.

How much do you drive it everyday? A lot of short trips? You are probably not driving enough to recharge the battery.

Cold messes with batter power too.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
When you do get it started and take it for a drive shut off any electrical load you can (heated seats, heater fan, radio) to help speed the charging. Something the others missed is that you could have a bad/loose ground connection, especially if you have no lights at all.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
When you do get it started and take it for a drive shut off any electrical load you can (heated seats, heater fan, radio) to help speed the charging. Something the others missed is that you could have a bad/loose ground connection, especially if you have no lights at all.
What is this ground connection? Loose cable?

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

hey i found one of those battery booster packs and im charging it, it has a red cable and black cable to jump start. Red goes to negative and Black goes to positive? sorry for just a noob question but im new to this

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
hey i found one of those battery booster packs and im charging it, it has a red cable and black cable to jump start. Red goes to negative and Black goes to positive? sorry for just a noob question but im new to this

NNNOOO!!!

Look that wires on the car, match the red to the red. The black on the booster should go to a good ground (NOT the black on the battery), it should be an un-painted surface such as a mount bolt on a component on the drivebelt end of the engine or a bolt on the strut/shock mount.

http://www.edmunds.com/how-to/jump-start.html

----------

What is this ground connection? Loose cable?

Yes. It could even be on the battery but it could be on the starter or the engine block someplace.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
NNNOOO!!!

Look that wires on the car, match the red to the red. The black on the booster should go to a good ground (NOT the black on the battery), it should be an un-painted surface such as a mount bolt on a component on the drivebelt end of the engine or a bolt on the strut/shock mount.

----------

Yes. It could even be on the battery but it could be on the starter or the engine block someplace.
i as just told black on black and red or red now black on surface? ugh

----------

NNNOOO!!!

----------

its a jumper box btw not jump start from another car

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.