Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
London
Hi peeps ^.^
I really appreciate all the help and advice given on these forums and am very grateful in advance.

My issue at the moment, is that I'm using a PC. (Speaks for itself)
I do not like how windows handles multiple displays, therefore I want to swap out my desktop workstation for a PM G5. (NO hackintosh :3)
My needs/wants go along with the following:
-It needs to support 4x 20" Alu ACD's.
-I'd need to shove as much ram in this baby as I can, since I have alot of stuff open at once, I'll go through that below.
-My PC is a 24/7 machine, and has proven well, except for the fact that it is far to noisy for my liking. (like a jet)
-^In relation to above, the PM will be a 24/7 machine, and will be on all the time, so that as soon as I sit down at my desk, it is ready to go.
-I recently had to leave school (personal) so I'm going to be doing an online education to finish off the last year of my GCSE's. This course is by "Interhigh", and I was wondering if it's compatible with PPC and/or 10.5
-I do not need vast amounts of storage, however, I will most likely be throwing in a 240GB SSD. All my data is networked.
-Noise, in general, is not an issue, I don't mind the whirr of a computer running, so don't tell me it will be loud. I only mentioned my PC, as it uses extremely fast fans, of which I cant control.
-I do not care about power consumption, at idle, or under load, I am also not concerned about the amount of heat it will kick out.

Okay, back to the kind of programs I use on a daily basis, and the kind of horsepower I need; Please bare in mind that almost all of these will be open, all the time.
-xchat for IRC, don't know what I'll be using on PPC.
-MS Office
-Teamspeak 3 (can I use it on ppc? o.o)
-Firefox/any other browser, I dont mind, with usually 15+ tabs open
-Netflix (I know, I can't get it on PPC, I'll use my macbook)
-Calendar
-Unfortunately, I've always got some sort of Picture heavy PDF open
-I also used to game at the same time as alot of this kind of stuff was open, but I'm moving away from gaming now, as I don't really feel it anymore :/

I would like a model with dual gigabit ethernet, since my dad has quite the network setup:
1 Router, 2 8 port switches plugged into said router, now, each of the switches are plugged into different fuse breaker circuits in the house, since there's always someone tripping them. The router has it's own one so that's not a problem. However, when I'm connected to the web, and one of the switches in my house goes offline, it takes a while for me to get everything set up again, therefore I want to be able to plug my machine into both switches, so that I'm safe in the event of one of them getting killed.

For any things that I NEED or absolutely must use on intel, it's not really a problem as I can pull out my Mid 2010 MBP anytime, and I will be keeping my current pc.

Thank you to everyone who reads this wall of text! I really appreciate it, and can't wait to be able to convert my whole setup to (finally) apple! :D
:cool:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Well, I can't speak to the model of G5. Others here are more knowledgeable than I on that. I will say that the G5 I have at work has been on 24/7 since February of 2005. It drives two monitors on one video card, so I imagine all you'd need to do is add another video card to whatever G5 you get.

The G5 is SATA I I believe so your SSD would be limited to that. Again, I'm no expert. G5s are pretty quiet, so whether you care for noise or not it's not going to really matter. I understand that some models of G5 can accept up to 16GB of ram, but I'm not sure of that. 4 or 8 is usually the current load out.

Dealing with your list…
Try Adium

-MS Office
Office 2008 is the latest. Use Office 2004 if loading the programs quickly matters to you.

Don't know.

TenFourFox or Aurorafox. Leopard Webkit also usually comes highly recommended.

Version 2.8.something is the last version that will run on PowerPC Mac. Note that there is an Adium plugin that will control Skype. Since Adium handles oodles of IM networks I usually just Adium to Skype.

-iTunes
10.6.3 is the highest you can use. If you have an iDevice with a Lightning connector you won't be able to connect it to iTunes.

Don't know.

-Calendar
iCal. Leopard version is 2.x something and you will be unable to connect to anything iCloud related.

The last OS for PowerPC Mac is Leopard. As mentioned above, anything that you need for iCloud you'll have to find different apps for. SOHO Organizer is one app that you can use instead of AddressBook and iCal.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
London
Writing inside your quote, putting my words in bold.

Well, I can't speak to the model of G5. Others here are more knowledgeable than I on that. I will say that the G5 I have at work has been on 24/7 since February of 2005. It drives two monitors on one video card, so I imagine all you'd need to do is add another video card to whatever G5 you get.
Fantastic, gotta love a 24/7 machine

The G5 is SATA I I believe so your SSD would be limited to that. Again, I'm no expert. G5s are pretty quiet, so whether you care for noise or not it's not going to really matter. I understand that some models of G5 can accept up to 16GB of ram, but I'm not sure of that. 4 or 8 is usually the current load out.
I am already aware of these limitations, and I'm not really bothered
Dealing with your list…
Try Adium Looks good.

-MS Office
Office 2008 is the latest. Use Office 2004 if loading the programs quickly matters to you. Loading times don't bother me, thanks for the info!

Don't know. Website says it works. not too worried about this one

TenFourFox or Aurorafox. Leopard Webkit also usually comes highly recommended. Thankyou!

Version 2.8.something is the last version that will run on PowerPC Mac. Note that there is an Adium plugin that will control Skype. Since Adium handles oodles of IM networks I usually just Adium to Skype.
So, all good in this sector.

-iTunes
10.6.3 is the highest you can use. If you have an iDevice with a Lightning connector you won't be able to connect it to iTunes.
Meh, I don't care for any lightning devices, and I never really mix my mobile gear with my desktop gear, I sync all my iOS stuff with my macbook

Don't know. Looking to switch to something else anyway

-Calendar
iCal. Leopard version is 2.x something and you will be unable to connect to anything iCloud related.
hah, iCloud, who cares?.. thanks for the ical info.

The last OS for PowerPC Mac is Leopard. As mentioned above, anything that you need for iCloud you'll have to find different apps for. SOHO Organizer is one app that you can use instead of AddressBook and iCal.
Again, iCloud?

This whole panic about iCloud, I really dont care for, I didn't need iCloud 5 years ago when I bought my first mac and iPhone, and ever since I have never missed it.

Regardless, thank you very much for all of your insight, I'm sure I'll be going for some sort of PM that can take 16GB of ram.

Last edited:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I'd recommend a late 2005 model, so you get PCIe graphics.

-I'd need to shove as much ram in this baby as I can, since I have alot of stuff open at once, I'll go through that below.
You'll want one of the late 2005 models, which can take 16GB of RAM
-My PC is a 24/7 machine, and has proven well, except for the fact that it is far to noisy for my liking. (like a jet)
The PM will probably be louder. My 2.7 is crazy loud, and it is hovering at 180 Degrees F. Of course, I'm installing ports with Macports, so it is being taxed.
-^In relation to above, the PM will be a 24/7 machine, and will be on all the time, so that as soon as I sit down at my desk, it is ready to go.
Will you have it sleep?
-I recently had to leave school (personal) so I'm going to be doing an online education to finish off the last year of my GCSE's. This course is by "Interhigh", and I was wondering if it's compatible with PPC and/or 10.5
Users of Apple Macintosh Computers can also login to InterHigh services by running ‘add on’ software that will run Windows. This can either by provided and installed by Interhigh (costs can be supplied on application. If you prefer you can use your own emulator however we will only be able to support software on our approved provider list.
-I do not need vast amounts of storage, however, I will most likely be throwing in a 240GB SSD. All my data is networked.
Get a SATA II SSD, III has known issues.
-Noise, in general, is not an issue, I don't mind the whirr of a computer running, so don't tell me it will be loud. I only mentioned my PC, as it uses extremely fast fans, of which I cant control.

It'll be loud. You might not care about noise now, but these things are the loudest computers I've ever used.
-I do not care about power consumption, at idle, or under load, I am also not concerned about the amount of heat it will kick out.
Other occupants of the home asked me if I wanted to move the G5 to the basement in Summer, upstairs in Winter. They're hot!
As for power consumption, if you have it on sleep mode, you should be fine. Running it 24/7 will be a noticeable increase in electric bill.

Adium will work. This application will work, but you need to download an older version (linked to on their download page).
-MS Office
Office 2008 will run. This works with .docx
The client appears to work.
3.6.28 is the last official version compatible. You can use Tenfourfox or Aurora, which are builds of the latest source and are optimized.
You can get Skype here.
10.6.3 is the last compatible version. Will not work with iPhone 5.
You can stream from Macbook to Power Mac.
-Calendar
iCal is installed by default.
Preview is excellent.

I would like a model with dual gigabit ethernet, since my dad has quite the network setup
The late 2005 models had Dual ethernet.

I'm sure I'll be going for some sort of PM that can take 16GB of ram.
Late 2005 models can take 16GB of RAM.

Did I mention that you should get a late 2005 model? :D

Wildy

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2011
What's wrong with the way Windows handles multiple displays? Is it worth buying an entire new computer just because of this?

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Hi peeps ^.^
I really appreciate all the help and advice given on these forums and am very grateful in advance.

My issue at the moment, is that I'm using a PC. (Speaks for itself)
I do not like how windows handles multiple displays, therefore I want to swap out my desktop workstation for a PM G5. (NO hackintosh :3)
My needs/wants go along with the following:

Okay, back to the kind of programs I use on a daily basis, and the kind of horsepower I need; Please bare in mind that almost all of these will be open, all the time.
-MS Office
-Calendar
-I also used to game at the same time as alot of this kind of stuff was open, but I'm moving away from gaming now, as I don't really feel it anymore :/

I would like a model with dual gigabit ethernet, since my dad has quite the network setup:
1 Router, 2 8 port switches plugged into said router, now, each of the switches are plugged into different fuse breaker circuits in the house, since there's always someone tripping them. The router has it's own one so that's not a problem. However, when I'm connected to the web, and one of the switches in my house goes offline, it takes a while for me to get everything set up again, therefore I want to be able to plug my machine into both switches, so that I'm safe in the event of one of them getting killed.

For any things that I NEED or absolutely must use on intel, it's not really a problem as I can pull out my Mid 2010 MBP anytime, and I will be keeping my current pc.

Thank you to everyone who reads this wall of text! I really appreciate it, and can't wait to be able to convert my whole setup to (finally) apple! :D
:cool:

16 gigs ram max
Get a 7800 GTX

It ia a sata pc so you can use any most ssds. Make sure the ssd is compatible first. Mine did not work. Any mechanical drive will work. I have 1.5 tb of storage in mine, but one drive is unrecognized, so 1 tb of that is for looks. MAKE SURE THE DRIVE WILL WORK by posting the model on the forums.

-MS Office
USE tenfourfox. it is firefox for PPC
-Calendar
-I also used to game at the same time as alot of this kind of stuff was open, but I'm moving away from gaming now, as I don't really feel it anymore

All things listed above will work.

I recommend lubuntu linux and osx 10.8 via QEMU.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
16 gigs ram max
You fail to mention that you would need a late 2005.
Get a 7800 GTX
You fail to mention that you would need a late 2005.
It ia a sata pc so you can use any most ssds. Make sure the ssd is compatible first. Mine did not work. Any mechanical drive will work. I have 1.5 tb of storage in mine, but one drive is unrecognized, so 1 tb of that is for looks. MAKE SURE THE DRIVE WILL WORK by posting the model on the forums.

-MS Office
-Calendar
-I also used to game at the same time as alot of this kind of stuff was open, but I'm moving away from gaming now, as I don't really feel it anymore

A quick read of the thread would have shown you that we've answered all of these questions.

That is a lie. A blatant one. As you have admitted, it would be pointlessly slow, if it even ran at all. Please don't spread misinformation.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
That is a lie. A blatant one. It would be pointlessly slow, if it even ran at all. Please don't spread misinformation.

It will show it working once I get my partition to work.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
It is just slow. Not unusably slow, just slower than a native app. It would run like an app in rosseta.

No, it wouldn't. Rosetta equals faster Intel processor emulating slower PowerPC processor. Yours equals slower PowerPC processor emulating faster Intel processor running resource heavy OS over Ubuntu. Not going to work. At all. Period. So please stop recommending it, as I would consider it a lie.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
No, it wouldn't. Rosetta equals faster Intel processor emulating slower PowerPC processor. Yours equals slower PowerPC processor emulating faster Intel processor running resource heavy OS over Ubuntu. Not going to work. At all. Period. So please stop recommending it, as I would consider it a lie.

Slower as in 2009 MBP 3200 geekbench; QC G5 3800 geekbench?

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
no, it wouldn't. Rosetta equals faster intel processor emulating slower powerpc processor. Yours equals slower powerpc processor emulating faster intel processor running resource heavy os over ubuntu. Not going to work. At all. Period. So please stop recommending it, as i would consider it a lie.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361556528.242590.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361556538.981241.jpg

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009
Slower as in 2009 MBP 3200 geekbench; QC G5 3800 geekbench?

For the record folks, do not believe a single thing rabidz7 says. Even his signature is a bold-faced lie, as 4700 is impossible on a G5.

I'm never one for banning people, but seriously, kid, everything you post is either a straight up lie (as contested by people, including myself, with degrees in engineering and CS) or asking enormously low-level, obvious, and sometimes simply dumb questions (thus betraying your complete lack of computer knowledge, and given this fact, you really shouldn't be offering any of your misinformation or poor advice).

That's something else I never thought I'd say, dumb questions -- once I believed there were no such thing as dumb questions. Then I read some of rabidz7's posts.

EDIT: Also, what exactly is your Geekbench of the MBP supposed to prove? It neither legitimizes your impossible claim to a usable boot of ML on PPC, nor does it substantiate your mythical 4700 score on the G5. All it does is prove that you have access to the internet and should have no issue uploading this mythical score, negating your excuse as to why you haven't.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009

And this is all in theory of course. I'm still not convinced it could be run at all without substantial legwork of your own emulating certain advanced instructions, which is clearly far beyond the capabilities of rabidz7.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
not uploaded yet. did benchmark before i got my ethernet cable

Please upload. If the default site does not work, please dropbox it, or use some other means of uploading.

Are you going to address what I said about processor emulation?

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
London
I'd recommend a late 2005 model, so you get PCIe graphics.

Oh okay, thanks, how many PCIe slots does it have? And Which cards work?
Well, what I want to ask it, what are the best cards/card?

You'll want one of the late 2005 models, which can take 16GB of RAM
I guess I'll get a late '05, probably just get a quad.

The PM will probably be louder. My 2.7 is crazy loud, and it is hovering at 180 Degrees F. Of course, I'm installing ports with Macports, so it is being taxed.
I understand where you're coming from, however, I've got fans here stuck at 3000 RPM.

Will you have it sleep?

Likely not, do you think this would be an issue?

Get a SATA II SSD, III has known issues.
The one I was looking at anyway was Sata II, but thanks for informing me.

It'll be loud. You might not care about noise now, but these things are the loudest computers I've ever used.
I'm sure I've had/known louder :3

Other occupants of the home asked me if I wanted to move the G5 to the basement in Summer, upstairs in Winter. They're hot!
As for power consumption, if you have it on sleep mode, you should be fine. Running it 24/7 will be a noticeable increase in electric bill.
I don't think it would make much of a difference to my £150 - £180 monthly, which my dad pays anyway. I don't want it to sound like I'm disrespecting my dad lol, but he earns plenty enough.
Adium will work. This application will work, but you need to download an older version (linked to on their download page).

Thank you! I never would've found this.
Office 2008 will run. This works with .docx
Yay!!
The client appears to work.
Thank you very much for this too, gotta love a bit of teamspeak, right?
3.6.28 is the last official version compatible. You can use Tenfourfox or Aurora, which are builds of the latest source and are optimized.
Brill.
You can get Skype here.
Thank you, I'm not bothered which version, as long as it works ^.^
10.6.3 is the last compatible version. Will not work with iPhone 5.
Never bother syncing stuff with my desktop anyway, thats a job for my macbook. Thanks.

Interesting. :)
iCal is installed by default.

Preview is excellent.
Yep, and yep.

The late 2005 models had Dual ethernet.
oh. so a late 05, uhm yes, sure.
Late 2005 models can take 16GB of RAM.
Sounds good.
Did I mention that you should get a late 2005 model? :D

Yeah, I think you did, actually.
Thank you so much for all your help.

16 gigs ram max
Get a 7800 GTX

-MS Office
-Calendar

I dont want linux. Okay? If I wanted linux surely I would go and buy a £120 zoostorm PC and stick ubuntu on that?

No, 10.8 DOESNT work, therefore I won't be taking advice from misinformed people, of whom are spreading misinformation, being very vague about GPU's and system requirements for 16GB of RAM.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Slower than an Apple TV 1 running Leopard. QEMU doesn't support the CPU extensions required to boot 10.8, namely SSE 3.

Wait, I thought rabidz7 had this working? Certainly he wouldn't recommend something that didn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.