Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
http://www.zeit.de/digital/mobil/2013-02/google-chromebook-pixel

german newspaper article. they are citing Google-Manager Sundar Pichai.

Foolish. The device, while great spec wise won't even compete against other chromebooks. That much power in a notebook can be had for less with a full OS.

I love my Samsung Chromebook at what it can do. But it was $250. Less than most laptops but still highly function for my use case.

I honestly have no idea who this is targeted for really. If you want to run ubuntu - again - there are cheaper options.

bradgfromboo

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
That's EXACTLY how Google makes money - selling other people's data, which is basically statistics of how people surf the web. You want 30-somethings with 100K income who've been searching on new car sites? Here you go, Ford. You want teenagers who surf clothing sites? Here you go, Gap. You want 60-somethings who are surfing retirement and travel sites? Here you go, Carnival Cruise lines.

Pull your head out of the sand, and stop flying the Google flag. Ignoring something doesn't make it not true.

wow. Not sure if its pure idiocy, fanboyism, or drugs.... but lol.... such ignorance displayed by many people who visit this site

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Foolish. The device, while great spec wise won't even compete against other chromebooks. That much power in a notebook can be had for less with a full OS.

I love my Samsung Chromebook at what it can do. But it was $250. Less than most laptops but still highly function for my use case.

I honestly have no idea who this is targeted for really. If you want to run ubuntu - again - there are cheaper options.

You could buy a Surface Pro 128GB with the type cover, Microsoft Office, a 64GB micro SD card and have money left over vs the Pixel.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Remind me again why you need an i5 processor to run webapps over a 1-5MBs connection?

If they really wanted to do something interesting, they would have made it 200 bucks and just make it a pretty hi-res screen and a dumb terminal/pixel scraper.

In these situations I ask myself what would my Mom say if she were using this thing. Because as silly as that sounds, most moms represent the world when it comes to how real people use technology.

Mom: "So where do I save this file?"
Me: Well, you don't, it's in the cloud
Mom: "But what if I want it back?"
Me: Well, you'd connect to the internet and get the file
Mom: "This is stupid, I just want it on my desktop so I know where it is"
Me: Well, that's actually not such a bad idea, but Google wants you to put all your files in their cloud so they are parse it, rip it into little bits and use it to serve you and others ads and track your likes and dislikes?
Mom: "Just like Facebook?"
Me: Uhm...yeah I guess.
Mom: "And what do I get out of it?
Me: Well, you get to pay them $1500 for the opportunity
Mom: "F-that! At least Facebook is free"

bradgfromboo

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012
Remind me again why you need an i5 processor to run webapps over a 1-5MBs connection?

If they really wanted to do something interesting, they would have made it 200 bucks and just make it a pretty hi-res screen and a dumb terminal/pixel scraper.

In these situations I ask myself what would my Mom say if she were using this thing. Because as silly as that sounds, most moms represent the world when it comes to how real people use technology.

Mom: "So where do I save this file?"
Me: Well, you don't, it's in the cloud
Mom: "But what if I want it back?"
Me: Well, you'd connect to the internet and get the file
Mom: "This is stupid, I just want it on my desktop so I know where it is"
Me: Well, that's actually not such a bad idea, but Google wants you to put all your files in their cloud so they are parse it, rip it into little bits and use it to serve you and others ads and track your likes and dislikes?
Mom: "Just like Facebook?"
Me: Uhm...yeah I guess.
Mom: "And what do I get out of it?
Me: Well, you get to pay them $1500 for the opportunity
Mom: "F-that! At least Facebook is free"

uummm..... you do know that you can have files saved locally in Chrome OS ... right? Or were you trying to be funny?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Except that iAds aren't primarily to make Apple money. They are for the developers to make money in their ads. And the data from those ads is very limited.

Well, if you want to believe the PR, yes, and it is to make the world a little better making pretty ads :rolleyes:

Yap, paying almost $300 million for Quattro and trying to be the first mobile ad provider it is not for making money

And they have proven time and again they will sell all sorts of data to the those that will say for it.

Where has been proven?

And in the case of Google Play, give it away to developers.

No, Google Play doesn't give away anything, the give the PAID apps developers the data needed for their tax processing. And it has been like that since the beginning. That's the problem with people not reading the TOS

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Ok so it seems silly to sell a $1,300 web-only computer. But I wonder how many Mac Books are used this way. I'd bet a good percentage of MacBook owners only use the browser.

A full fledged computer used that way isn't the same as one for the same price that can only be used that way.

And Apple designed the iPad for those types of people. Even the snazziest one is still $500 off these laptop prices.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
but this new google machine is revolutionary in so many ways. I suppose I should watch how much praise I give it here on a Mac site...and I should not call out those who show they don't seem to get it by calling this a "pricey browser" with too much force as I can see how they might mistakenly think so or miss why this devise really exists, or why it was released today. (The timing blows my mind)
This is huge.

So why does it exist and why was it released today?

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Even if they did bring out a version of CS6 that worked on ChromeOS, good luck fitting it on that 32GB SSD!

You assume it would be a full version. Rather than more of a CS6 Elements

----------

In 3 years cloud services would be dirt cheap.

Folks said the same thing about Flash storage but I haven't seen the price of iPads etc go down. So perhaps that should be 'should be dirt cheap'

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
This will only work if they can lower the price by half. You should just get a MBA and install the Chrome browser on it for that price.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
There is no market for this.

Message to Google… don't do hardware, do services.

That's what they are doing. This is a ploy to get folks to 'buy into' their Drive service. They are assuming that once someone spends 3 yrs using the service they will pay to keep it rather than hassle with moving everything. They might even run some special where those that signed up via buying a Chromebook Pixel will get a special rate on continuing the service so long as they keep a plan of at least 1TB.

----------

No. They don't. Pure FUD.

I wouldn't say its total FUD but aspects of it are.

Google is most likely aggregating information about users and yes probably is tracking users across services to some degree.

But I think you are correct that they sell the demographics built from that data got the actual data. Or rather access to those demographics. If I'm advertising with Google and my target audience is 18-24 year old women who like fashion, they use their tracking to best guess the right times to show my ad. Probably make me pay more for such premium placing.

Fact is that a lot of companies have the means and to some degree do this kind of tracking. Even Apple with their Genius and 'customers also bought' is tracking us. Utility companies at the least know how many folks in a certain sociogeographic area have cable,with or without premium channels, got a low income discount in their gas bill and so on.

The real issue is if they can pin specific information to specific people. That is the real part to fear

----------

No, Google Play doesn't give away anything, the give the PAID apps developers the data needed for their tax processing. And it has been like that since the beginning. That's the problem with people not reading the TOS

So getting the full names and locations of the people that bought their apps is needed for tax purposes. Good to wok now.

The developers themselves have admitted they received that information and no where in the user TOS does it say the developers would receive it.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
nope

I was able to try out one of these pixel "netbooks" yesterday, and while nice I would never buy it. At 999$ it might represent some reasonable value for some people, but not at this price at all.

screen was also WAY too glossy for me, not like the rMBP that I use daily. I couldn't possibly use the screen on a day to day basis with that much gloss.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
But I think you are correct that they sell the demographics built from that data got the actual data. Or rather access to those demographics.

They don't sell any data and they don't give access to that demographic.

So getting the full names and locations of the people that bought their apps is needed for tax purposes. Good to wok now.

Yes, they need it because the merchant is not Google, it is the developer

The developers themselves have admitted they received that information and no where in the user TOS does it say the developers would receive it.

ONE developer has said that, only one since 2.008.
Ah, and by the way, it is not Goole Play who sends the information, it is Google Wallet.

Marcus-k

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2011
lmao is this 2004? or targeted towards hipsters? and this aspect ratio ... disgusting. i thought this went extinct years ago

The aspect ratio really hits you in the face when they open it up, honking.

I have no idea why anyone would design a laptop with that aspect ratio in 2013.

I'm not just saying this, but this thing is TERRIBLE! First of all, it's absolutely hideous - have you seen how fat the display is?!

What's with the 4:3 aspect ratio? Is it 1992 again?

YES. Such a horrible display... I assume you say the same thing about the Macbook displays to? Since they are practically the same aspect ratio (Purple is Apples 16:10 displays, green is Googles 15:10 display):

78842303.jpg

50$ a month. Wow. It's almost the price of a 1TB disk.

Well yes, it has to pay for electricity, servers, a place to host those servers, cooling for the servers, an internet connection, and 3+ harddrives for redundancy.

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
What are you talking about?

Google said that the life of this laptop was around 3 years, suggesting that either they break or are sold after three years. If they are saying they break after three years, thats poor quality. If they are saying we should sell them after three years, no one will buy them because to get more that the miserable 32 or 64gb of storage you will have to pay.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
I wouldn't say its total FUD but aspects of it are.

Google is most likely aggregating information about users and yes probably is tracking users across services to some degree.

But I think you are correct that they sell the demographics built from that data got the actual data. Or rather access to those demographics. If I'm advertising with Google and my target audience is 18-24 year old women who like fashion, they use their tracking to best guess the right times to show my ad. Probably make me pay more for such premium placing.

Fact is that a lot of companies have the means and to some degree do this kind of tracking. Even Apple with their Genius and 'customers also bought' is tracking us. Utility companies at the least know how many folks in a certain sociogeographic area have cable,with or without premium channels, got a low income discount in their gas bill and so on.

The real issue is if they can pin specific information to specific people. That is the real part to fear

I think Google can but I doubt they are selling it to anyone else. Since, who would be interested in my specific search data anyway? But it doesn't change anything. Demographic information which includes my search history still contains my data. It's irrelevant if they anonymise it 100 times. It still is my data. It's my search history. It's my web traffic. And my emails. And sure Google isn't alone on this but who said they are?

.macbookpro.

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2012
london
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.