Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I partitioned the drive just like the guide said to do.
However carbon copy cloner kept giving me errors.

Now there is information on the external drive but I do not believe they copied right :(.

Is there a way to start over? erase whats currently on the external?

Errors:
Archiving or deleting this item /volumes/untitled 1/_ccc Archives/ 2013-02-21 (february 21) 19-49-32
Modifying this item's filesystem entry on the destination /volumes/untitled 1/applications/googlechrome.dmg
Setting information about this item on the destination /volumes/untitled 1/_ccc archives/2013-02-21 (february 21) 19-49-32/ applications.....

Nov 28, 2010
located

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Nov 28, 2010
located
yes I did that and the copy failed the first time on CCC because the "drive was not ejected properly" Then each other time it gave me the above errors.

Not sure where to go from here

So the reformatting works fine, but using CCC produces those results every time?

What exact SSD do you use in what exact enclosure? What exact CCC version do you use and have you tried SuperDuper! yet?

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
So the reformatting works fine, but using CCC produces those results every time?

What exact SSD do you use in what exact enclosure? What exact CCC version do you use and have you tried SuperDuper! yet?

180 gig OWC Aurora Pro 6G for macbook air 2011
OWC envoy enclosure
I used both versions of CCC. I tried the old one first because it was free then proceeding using the new one.

I have not. Will I miss up the drive continuing to try to copy onto it now that there is some data on it?

Nov 28, 2010
located
Will I miss up the drive continuing to try to copy onto it now that there is some data on it?

No, you will not mess up the SSD.

Normally modern SSDs have a theoretical write/read limit of 10,000 to 100,000 cycles (P/E cycles), meaning if you had a 64 GB SSD and its cycle limit would be 10,000, you would have to write 625 TB to it, which would be 351 GB per day everyday for the next five years. Assuming those numbers vary and it would only be a tenth of that, it would still mean 35 GB per day, which under normal usage no average computer consumer does, not even with temporary files.

Since you purchased this drive from OWC, you probably have a right for technical support. Maybe contact them for Live Chat Support or email support.

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012

Normally modern SSDs have a theoretical write/read limit of 10,000 to 100,000 cycles (P/E cycles), meaning if you had a 64 GB SSD and its cycle limit would be 10,000, you would have to write 625 TB to it, which would be 351 GB per day everyday for the next five years. Assuming those numbers vary and it would only be a tenth of that, it would still mean 35 GB per day, which under normal usage no average computer consumer does, not even with temporary files.

Since you purchased this drive from OWC, you probably have a right for technical support. Maybe contact them for Live Chat Support or email support.

I will try super duper and then try owc

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012

Trying superduper it gets all the way to copy and then it fails.
it does succeed in erasing it but fails to copy anything.

Then I get the "hard drive was not properly ejected"
Then I try to eject it and it does nothing

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Trying superduper it gets all the way to copy and then it fails.
it does succeed in erasing it but fails to copy anything.

Then I get the "hard drive was not properly ejected"
Then I try to eject it and it does nothing

turned everything off reformatted/ erased drive.

Super duper fails to erase now
error, "the disk you inserted is not readable by the computer"
Finally got it to erase but still failed to copy

Last edited:

Apple Techs

macrumors member
Dec 14, 2012
Phoenix, Az
turned everything off reformatted/ erased drive.

Super duper fails to erase now
error, "the disk you inserted is not readable by the computer"
Finally got it to erase but still failed to copy

Just for right now why don't you try a clean install see how it turns out and restore from a time machine back up....I just did a CCC on the same ssd about a week ago for a customer and everything went through fine can't see why you are having an issue outside of corrupted data....

Weerez935

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
I called owc. The tech walked me through it again.

The reason I was having problems is that the toshiba ssd and the owc ssd are different voltages. The envoy is for the stock ssd but the voltage is to high for the owc aura. This isn't an issue with other standard size drives

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.