Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
The ground connection is the black cable connected to the battery on one end and usually the engine block on the other. It could be loose, corroded, or broken. Same goes for the red (positive cable) that is connected to the battery on one end and either the starter or terminal block on the other.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Black on unpainted surface, doesn't matter that it's a box and not a vehicle. It absolutely has to be a bare metal surface, no paint. As I said, a bolt on the strut/shock mount (above the tire), some other bolt on the engine.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
hey guys, i couldnt wait any longer and took the jumper box while it was half charged. plugged it in and lights came on, but engine was kind of cranking, like if it wanted to start. then unplugged the jumper box from the battery and boom no lights, nothing!. should i have waited for the jumper box to be full or does it not matter, the car shouldve started anyway?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
You need to wait. That sound indicates the battery doesn't have enough juice to start the engine. Wait until it is done to actually try starting it.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
You need to wait. That sound indicates the battery doesn't have enough juice to start the engine. Wait until it is done to actually try starting it.

gotcha thanks bud

----------

a couple of guys wanted to come and jump start it but neither of us had the cables. I've learned my lesson, "always have the jump start cable with you" -.-

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I always keep a cable in the car. I've never used it on my own car, but it's been used a few times.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.