Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

codefuns

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
I like your idea, the glass is a platform, and apps give it soul.

Wow, I am a huge apple fan but I don't let that limit my vision.

Google glass is just missing some useful apps and suddenly it turns into a AR tool.

Look at this TED Sixth Sense video: http://www.wired.com/business/2009/02/ted-digital-six/

Google glass can perform this as is. Its just a matter of feeding images into googles existing search algorithm and providing a useful output.

Think of this. Go shopping. Pick something up and immediately see ratings, competitive prices, ingredients, etc. No more taking a phone out of the pocket to snap a pic, and feed it into the appropriate app.

See something on TV or in a magazine and immediately 'bookmark' it to review later or do additional searches for information.

Get in a car accident and immediately have replay footage.

And with future versions possible real time driving alerts for things you may not notice like Speed Cameras, Deer, Pedestrians.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
Really, you're gonna wear those glasses while performing ballet?

has potential, but half the stuff shown in that video would not be practical in real life :rolleyes:

ncaissie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2011
the last thing i want to do is go running or cycling with these glasses on my head instead of a handy wrist watch to keep track of how i'm doing

So you would rather hold your arm up to you head instead of holding onto the handlebars and seeing the sms show in your peripheral vision?

Ok to each his own I guess. It seems more like a defend apple at all cost thing to me.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
I would buy it for 1.5K, but how does it work with prescription glasses? Would I have to wear 2 pairs of glasses?

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
I have a buddy who is nearly quadriplegic and has a hard time reaching / grasping his phone to accept calls, access texts / emails, etc. I can see this being extremely useful for him.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Absolutely love the idea, but I wear glasses.

Can't wear contacts.
Most of smart people wear glasses. So I guess Google glass is not for us :) I guess for another $1000 they can embed google glass into the prescription glass. And they can throw a build-in blue tooth speakers.

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I am apprehensive about that product but c-mon, if Apple were doing this it would be an absolute mastermind idea in here.

If Apple were doing this people like you will be saying how Apple's ripping off Star Trek. Apple made absolutely nothing inside the glasses. The chips are from company xyz, the glass are from company abc, and assembled by foxconn. All Apple does is marketing.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Such tethering uses would be so much better if more carriers made tethering free (after all, I'm still paying for the mobile data, why not encourage me to use more via iPhone tethering?). I'm looking at you, AT&T.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
What's with the hate?

Not only is this a cool thing, it's a good thing. Good so maybe Apple or any other tech company can answer back with something that will help evolve and elevate this type of tech to the next level.

I can't imagine what this thread would like like if it came from Sasmsung.

I think we all know what this thread would look like if it came from Apple.

Yes it's a niche product. But it's a f*$#ing cool niche product.

igorleandro

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2008
It is a pity that the industry is all about fake videos.

A roller coaster car is about to go down insanely fast and yet, your head don't move.

An acrobatic plane does a sharp roll and yet, your head don't move an inch.

And it goes.

I wonder if the movies, or pictures, or anything at all would be any useful.

We will see when the first units come out. But I'm quite curious if that will work at all.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
These will be a bust... a complete bust. The money & wearable use does not justify a crummy experience.

Basically, this is just the Jetson's talk... if you want to drive cars that fly, go ahead. But cars were meant for the road, and glasses were meant for the sun or a prescript.

I see only glorified UX with no real daily incentives to purchase a device going on my head. Nonetheless, a device with a steep price tag!!!

Annoying use... annoying price.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Do people seriously not see the appeal in this?

It's like a handsfree smartphone for tasks that don't require much input. FaceTime conversations, for instance. Perfect for that. Maps/directions, sending/receiving messages via Siri.

Recording photos and videos without having to take out your phone. It's gonna make apps like Vine really useful. No funny moment will go missed while you struggle to get your phone out in time.

It would go perfectly with my cellular iPad mini which can stay in my pocket when Glass will suffice. Way better than a smart watch that requires you to look at your hand instead of what's in front of you.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Awesome. I didn't think this was a project that would go live, even less within a year from now.

I read the full theverge report. While the author certainly had a lot of self consciousness issues with wearing it (every paragraph ends with "who would want to wear that in public"), it seems that google found ways to actually make this useful in practice.

I wear glasses, my biggest concern is whether I can get my prescription in that frame.

Is this a great, marketable product? I don't know. But it is exiting to see it becoming real. Of course people here would be much more positive if this was an Apple product.

flat five

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2007
newyorkcity
Most of smart people wear glasses. So I guess Google glass is not for us :) I guess for another $1000 they can embed google glass into the prescription glass. And they can throw a build-in blue tooth speakers.

i'm sure you'll be able to have frame options/ prescriptions made eventually..

seems like a lot of professional fields could use these to their advantage..

for instance, throw a safety frame on there and they'll be very good tools in construction fields.. cut lists, assembly docs, etc ..sent straight from the cad files to a seemingly optimum viewing position..

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
If Apple were doing this people like you will be saying how Apple's ripping off Star Trek. Apple made absolutely nothing inside the glasses. The chips are from company xyz, the glass are from company abc, and assembled by foxconn. All Apple does is marketing.

Seriously? I think it's safe to say that regardless of the tech we have, we've compared it to things found in movies based in the future. Yes I'm aware that people said Apple ripped off the ipad from star trek, but they said the same of the first mobile phone. The hologram. almost anything featured in movie or tv series that we actually have now.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.