Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I love apple's build quality...the rMBP is near perfection in every way...

but this new google machine is revolutionary in so many ways. I suppose I should watch how much praise I give it here on a Mac site...and I should not call out those who show they don't seem to get it by calling this a "pricey browser" with too much force as I can see how they might mistakenly think so or miss why this devise really exists, or why it was released today. (The timing blows my mind)
This is huge.
Amazing price...now realizing what the Pixel means to the future of the industry and how brilliant of a device it truly is.

I run my design side of operations on a Mac still, but I run my entire business on Google+ and google's other services.
Almost everyone I do business with is connected to us on G+ and now 100% of our online meetings are on hangouts, including factory meetings. 90% of our files and docs are on Google drive. All of my word files are now on Google docs.

Up until now it made sense to run the show through chrome on our macs and nexus devices, with samsung chrome books being the OK machine to bring to Starbucks and worry less about coffee splashes....

But this is something different.
Add on project glass and retail...oy.
Very excited to see Apples next few moves.
Very exciting times ahead for sure.

What exactly is revolutionary about this computer?

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
It's a classy design, looks nice and has some good points. Maybe the name isn't too bad either.

But that Price?

Google does have a killer to incorporate Android into their Chrome OS if it kicks off, though, which could be a real selling point.

(Then again, if you look at the first time the Macbook Air was introduced people said the same thing about the "dumbed-down machine." As Technology and Demand increased the price moved down and it became more towards the usual target audience.)

Google does love to try out new ideas after all.
They're definitely not into the "All-eggs-in-one-basket" style like Apple is.

tracker_oz

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2002
So now they are stealing Hardware Designs too!

Paraphrasing the start of the ad!

"When we started the project two years ago we set out to steal Apple's designs just like we had for iOS!"

Fark! Is google not satisfied with stealing iOS! Now they are also stealing the designs for the Macbook Pro to repackage their ***** software in?

The sad thing is that they will probably get away with it too!

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Fark! Is google not satisfied with stealing iOS! Now they are also stealing the designs for the Macbook Pro to repackage their ***** software in?

The sad thing is that they will probably get away with it too!

And exactly what had been stealth from iOS by Google?

I would have thought that meant google, not themselves

I have thought that it is what Engadget thinks about the three years subscription

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I bought the Samsung $249 chromebook to play around with. It's a pretty great device for what it is. I've written earlier in this thread about it. It's taken over much of any iPad use I was doing. And at that price - I consider it a great deal for what it is. If something happens to it - I wouldn't be crushed because of the value vs price.

That being said - the Pixel doesn't make much sense to me. There are cheaper alternatives that do more and have the same/similar specs. Heck - Samsung just released the Series 7 Chronos that is the same price but runs a full OS.

This device has great specs - but if you're going to be productive, you're going to need to put ubuntu or the like on it. And again - you can get a kick-but machine for less to do that.

----------

Or made a mistake.

You know - like when Tim and others got up on stage and said the iPhone was the worlds thinnest phone?

I am definitely getting a consensus from you and the other levelheaded posters that are rather platform agnostic that the Pixel is certainly the new Palm Folio. A device that is confusing in its implementation.

djgamble

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2006
YES. IMO the 64GB Air is pretty much a joke. At least that's only $999 with a good OS. But $1300 for an Air clone with the same SSD as the LOWEST-END iPod touch with a useless OS...?

Also it's thick!!! WTF is with that? Sony and a few other brands have MacBook Aur competitors... this is too thick to be one.

DAVIDUGLY

macrumors member
May 16, 2010
This Chromebook Pixel is the biggest thing
since the Bondi Blue iMAC,
no question....

and sorry but you guys have totally turned into....

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Gooogle does not sell your data or your privacy, stop spreading that FUD that has been explained to you many times before

Yes, actually, they do sell your privacy, and your attitude about "it being explained many times before" is both wrong and your tone is a bit offensive.

Here's how they sell my privacy: I do not grant them the right to understand any aspect of my life, everything I do is my own business and not someone else's. Simply put, my life is private. Google (and others - I'm not limiting this to just one company, they just happen to the top of the evil empire chart), however, believes it's perfectly acceptable to track my activities and sell information related to my private life to companies that want to sell me crap and scheit I neither want nor need. They don't have the right to track me, whatever they or anyone else thinks, and they certainly don't have the right to profit off any information gained from their tracking activities related to my life. That is neither FUD nor wrong.

OK... You have made your point repeatedly. Since you are getting tired of repeating yourself, please feel free to stop! :p

Why so polite? You could simply adopt his tone and just tell him to stop, as he has done over and over again. ;)

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Apparently you agree with my comments.

1) Google 'dodges' it's taxes.
2) The product is a 'ripoff'
3) Google 'sends spam to your Gmail account'

You missed a critique on my point about Adwords 'advisors' which should be known as corrupt shills. They lie to you, and work against your best interests by selling concepts that will actually blow your ad budget more quickly, by encouraging modifications with generate 'junk' clicks.

You said that Google does not pay taxes. It's a fact that they do indeed pay taxes. Having a bad advertising program does not mean that they are invading your privacy, but I do agree that advertising with Google Ads is a bad plan. Sending spam is not violating your privacy either, just annoying you with "Google+ Top Posts" or whatever BS they send.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Little late on this one, but I have to say this is probably one of the most impractical product that I've ever seen advertised :rolleyes: And DEFINATELY doesn't compete with the MBA or even really the rMBP. I mean why do you need an i5 processor to only browse the web? I don't understand :confused:

Renzatic

Suspended
Little late on this one, but I have to say this is probably one of the most impractical product that I've ever seen advertised :rolleyes: And DEFINATELY doesn't compete with the MBA or even really the rMBP. I mean why do you need an i5 processor to only browse the web? I don't understand :confused:

With a better OS, it would be a much more compelling device.

Which, according to a post ChazUK made down in The Devil's Outcasts Subforum, might happen sooner rather than later.

Though a proper OS still won't fix the fact you've only got 32-64GB of SSD space to play with. with a 256GB drive and about three hundred knocked off the base price, this would make for a prime Linux machine.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Are there people who actually have terabytes of data to dump into google drive? The main reason I can think of for getting one is if you are already a very heavy user of google's services, and if you are going to pay for them, may as well get a free laptop out of the deal.

Myself - I am struggling to fill up more than 1 gb of Dropbox storage! This reminds me of those all-you-can-eat buffets where you end up spending much more than if you had simply bought a simple meal at any other eatery.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Not gonna read all 20+ pages of comments, and I can't find it on the linked info page. I wonder if you also have to pay for monthly data on top of the nuts up-front payment? (For the LTE version, obviously). The only way something like this is useful (at least to a commuter like me) is with cellular data. But 1000+ is way to much to pay upfront and then have to shell out whatever else per month. Totally defeats any (small) attraction the free Google drive might offer

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
With a better OS, it would be a much more compelling device.

Though a proper OS still won't fix the fact you've only got 32-64GB of SSD space to play with. with a 256GB drive and about three hundred knocked off the base price, this would make for a prime Linux machine.

I definitely agree. My own theory about this Chromebook, though is that possibly google created it in order to show off the potential of how far they could take a chomebook… Is it possible that they don't expect to really sell a whole lot of these?

Renzatic

Suspended
I definitely agree. My own theory about this Chromebook, though is that possibly google created it in order to show off the potential of how far they could take a chomebook… Is it possible that they don't expect to really sell a whole lot of these?

That's very possible. You won't be able to find the Pixel at any Wal-Mart or Best Buy, only from the Google Play store. It's too high priced, and won't have all that much exposure beyond what we're seeing here. It's really only something tech enthusiasts would know about or consider.

I think Google made it just to have a high end Chromebook out there somewhere. See how people take to it, experiment with it, and maybe see if people end up building a small app community around it to take advantage of the hardware.

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
That's very possible. You won't be able to find the Pixel at any Wal-Mart or Best Buy, only from the Google Play store. It's too high priced, and won't have all that much exposure beyond what we're seeing here. It's really only something tech enthusiasts would know about or consider.

I think Google made it just to have a high end Chromebook out there somewhere. See how people take to it, experiment with it, and maybe see if people end up building a small app community around it to take advantage of the hardware.

Thought so. I just came across this article, as well, that states a similar opinion on the pixel

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2029034/why-google-bothered-to-make-the-chromebook-pixel.html

Even if Google doesn't sell many Pixels, its mere existence opens the door for Chromebooks that eschew the usual Celeron CPU paired with a chintzy plastic case. The low end has already been established, and the Pixel lays claim to the high end. Now, let's see if other manufacturers take Google's bait and try to flush out the middle.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
uh.... the chrome book is a cheap low powered to like like the MBA ultra-slim.

Expect to have a price raise then. But then again... those who buy Chromebook currently anyway, is not really the same kind of people who would run windows n a business.

Its hardly a performer by any stretch.... Only for simple tasks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.