Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikehockenballs

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Greater Manchester, England
Ok so...

I placed my iphone 4 into my dock to connect to itunes and a window opened telling me that there was an update for itunes, I did not want to update itunes at the time because I was short on time so I clicked NO.

Shortly after I got another window opening saying that there was an update to iOS version 6.1.2 which I downloaded and installed on my iphone.

Later that day I connected my phone to itunes again to download the update for itunes, but I could not see a button to manually start the download.
I wondered if itunes had automatically been updated when I downloaded and installed version 6.1.2 on my phone but I can not find the version of itunes that I am using anywhere in itunes, I have done google searches looking to find the answer but none can point me in the right direction.

This may be something very obvious that I am missing but I simply cannot find the version number of itunes or a button to manually start the itunes update.

Please put me out of my misery and point out the glaring obvious lol :)

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Ok so...

I placed my iphone 4 into my dock to connect to itunes and a window opened telling me that there was an update for itunes, I did not want to update itunes at the time because I was short on time so I clicked NO.

Shortly after I got another window opening saying that there was an update to iOS version 6.1.2 which I downloaded and installed on my iphone.

Later that day I connected my phone to itunes again to download the update for itunes, but I could not see a button to manually start the download.
I wondered if itunes had automatically been updated when I downloaded and installed version 6.1.2 on my phone but I can not find the version of itunes that I am using anywhere in itunes, I have done google searches looking to find the answer but none can point me in the right direction.

This may be something very obvious that I am missing but I simply cannot find the version number of itunes or a button to manually start the itunes update.

Please put me out of my misery and point out the glaring obvious lol :)

Would be helpful to know if you're on a PC or Mac, either way File--->About iTunes should tell you. It's highly unlikely that iTunes could have been updated without you knowing, especially since the install requires admin access. You can also check for updates under the file menu, should at least tell you if you're on the latest version or not. (iTunes 11 is also GLARINGLY different from 10, you'd notice.)

mikehockenballs

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 6, 2007
Greater Manchester, England
Thanks for your reply!

I am on PC using Windows 7.

I do not appear to have a 'File - About itunes' option in my drop down menu at the top left hand corner of itunes, my options are:-

New, Library, iTunes Store, Add File To Library, Get Info (greyed out), Switch To MiniPlayer, Preferences, Show Menu Bar and Exit.

I do think I have version 11 of itunes but I want to find the option to manually select to update it to the latest version and also where it shows me what version I am using at the moment.
When I select the apps media option I see a 'check for updates' button but that is for third party apps on the phone and not to update itunes itself.
I can also see on the 'summary' page the 'check for updates' button but this is for updates to iOS and not for itunes.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It sounds like you have 11 if you have no menu bar. Go to Show Menu Bar then look in the Help menu.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.