Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toccino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Medellin, Colombia
HI!
I suppose some similar thread has already been posted but nothing could solve my problem and I'm starting to get mad! help would be much appreciated

I'm trying to boot from the original system disc of my mac pro, or from a cloned system I have on an external HD in order to restore the time machine backup from a macbook pro..
The cd shows up on the desktop, but when i try to boot from it I always get a kernel panic message saying I have to manually restart ther computer.
I've tried reseting NVRAM, booting to safe mode to verify and repair the disk..
I first thought it was a RAM problem, so I moved the RAM in the Slots, tried to take some out, and back.. I even run Rember for memory test.. everything seems ok.. I just don't understand.. I really need your help.. thanks a lot

I have a mac pro 2x3 GHz Dual-core Intel XEON
with 4 Go 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
running OSX 10.5.4

----------

I forgot to mention that I tried hitting the Alt key on start up, and that all the bootable devices (cd and external drive) are here, but when i select one of them for start up, I still get the kernel panic message

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Have you upgraded the graphics card?

If you're trying to boot from the original 10.4.7 (or 10.4.9, depending on model) disk, you'll need to put the original one back in.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
HI!
I suppose some similar thread has already been posted but nothing could solve my problem and I'm starting to get mad! help would be much appreciated

I'm trying to boot from the original system disc of my mac pro, or from a cloned system I have on an external HD in order to restore the time machine backup from a macbook pro..
The cd shows up on the desktop, but when i try to boot from it I always get a kernel panic message saying I have to manually restart ther computer.
I've tried reseting NVRAM, booting to safe mode to verify and repair the disk..
I first thought it was a RAM problem, so I moved the RAM in the Slots, tried to take some out, and back.. I even run Rember for memory test.. everything seems ok.. I just don't understand.. I really need your help.. thanks a lot

I have a mac pro 2x3 GHz Dual-core Intel XEON
with 4 Go 667 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM
running OSX 10.5.4

----------

I forgot to mention that I tried hitting the Alt key on start up, and that all the bootable devices (cd and external drive) are here, but when i select one of them for start up, I still get the kernel panic message

Have you disconnected all non-essential peripheral devices? Have you tried a "safe boot"?

toccino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Medellin, Colombia
Thank you so much for the prompt responses
I didnt upgrade the graphics card I didnt think of that i will try it right away..
And yes i tried the safe boot (holding shift key is that right?
maybe I didnt use the safe boot properly.. i just ran a verify disk in disk utility.. are there other things I can do in safe mode?
and well yes i disconnected everything not useful.. Im using a non apple keyboard though.. would that be a problem?

----------

Oh and cal6n.. Im trying to boot from an original 10.5 cd.. I have 10.5.4 on the computer

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Thank you so much for the prompt responses
I didnt upgrade the graphics card I didnt think of that i will try it right away..
And yes i tried the safe boot (holding shift key is that right?
maybe I didnt use the safe boot properly.. i just ran a verify disk in disk utility.. are there other things I can do in safe mode?
and well yes i disconnected everything not useful.. Im using a non apple keyboard though.. would that be a problem?

----------

Oh and cal6n.. Im trying to boot from an original 10.5 cd.. I have 10.5.4 on the computer

Kernel panics are typically hardware-related. Couldn't hurt to try the original Apple keyboard, if you have it.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
In my experience, being able to load the startup manager (by holding "alt") but then experiencing a kernel panic usually indicates that there is a driver problem associated with upgraded hardware. Graphics cards are a favourite but other components might also be to blame. What graphics card and other PCIe cards do you have installed? Any solid state drives?

Last edited:

toccino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Medellin, Colombia
mm I dont have it.. Maybe theres some kind of a test i can run to see if this one is compatible?

----------

I dont have many things installed.. I dont have airport.. I have a pioneer DVD-RW DVDR-112D superdrive , an nvidia GeForce 8800 GT graphics card and thats basically it.. by upgrading the graphics card you mean the latest driver right?

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
You can't boot from the DVD because it is 10.5.0 and your graphics card requires 10.5.2 or later. You'll need to either use a later install disk (a 10.5.6 retail disk used to be available) or an earlier graphics card, NVidia 7300 or ATI X1900.

----------

Incidentally, is there a good reason why you're not using a Snow Leopard DVD (10.6)?

That should work just fine.

toccino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Medellin, Colombia
Wow I coulnt think of something like that.. ever.. Would you know by any chance how can I obtain a 10.5.6 retail disk?
Anyway thank you so much cal6n it really sounds like its the problem

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
HI!

I'm trying to boot from the original system disc of my mac pro, or from a cloned system I have on an external HD

all the bootable devices (cd and external drive) are here, but when i select one of them for start up, I still get the kernel panic message

Do you know what version of OS X is on your external drive?

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Wow I coulnt think of something like that.. ever.. Would you know by any chance how can I obtain a 10.5.6 retail disk?

Ebay's probably your best bet. They're getting rare now, though, and therefore pricey.

Search for "Leopard retail 10.5.6" and you should find something.

Snow Leopard discs are much more plentiful and cheaper, though. It's a better OS too, unless you've a pressing need to stay on Leopard.

toccino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Medellin, Colombia
thanks again cal6n
What I want to do actually is just to be able to erase everything on the mac pro, and than migrate files and system from my macbook pro which has Lion on it.. so I thought the only way was to boot from an install disk on the mac pro, and then tell it to erase and reinstall everything from the backup time machine drive I was using with the macbook.. but maybe you can think of an easier way to do it ??

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Well, it should be easy, then.

Do you have a firewire cable to connect the 2 Macs? That would be easiest.

*edit* It'll be easier to put Lion on it.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
Yes, there is!

Boot the Macbook Pro into the recovery partition by holding cmd-R.

Boot the Mac Pro into target disk mode by holding T.

Connect the 2 with a firewire cable and the Mac Pro will show up as an external drive in the Macbook Pro's Disk Utility. Wipe it and you'll be able to install Lion onto it too, and then migrate your data.

(We are talking Lion here, not Mountain Lion, right?)

toccino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Medellin, Colombia
OK I managed to boot both as you said.. and I erased the mac pro.. but I have to say I Have doubts about how to install lion on the mac pro then.. Im afraid Ill do something wrong.. maybe you can tell me?? :)

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
It's all quite straight-forward. The instructions should walk you through it.

With the 2 computers still connected via firewire, quit disk utility and select the "reinstall OS X" option. Follow the directions until you're given an option to choose where to install it and make sure you choose the Mac Pro. You may need to have your Macbook pro connected to the internet, too.

Once Lion is installed on the Mac Pro, it should reboot and ask if you want to transfer your files from another Mac. You might be OK to leave your laptop in recovery mode or you may have to reboot it to the desktop. I'm not sure. Either way, it's plain sailing from there on in.

toccino

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Medellin, Colombia
cal6n you're my absolute god!!!
The installation is very slow but im positively sure its gonna work!! (otherwise I'll come back and bother a little more :D )
Thank you so much!!!
I may go to England this summer and I'll have to invite you for a pint!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.