Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Do some people find them annoying, I'd just like to know, I think they're a necessary evil.

I'm sitting here in the library just tip typing away, and I'm wondering if anyone can actually hear it.

No becuase they annoy me and are turned off anyway.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
One of the first things I do after getting a new iPhone is disable the keyboard and lock/unlock clicks. I find them very annoying haha.

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
The only thing more annoying than loud keyboard clicks are those people that wear headphones with the volume turned up too loud. Typically in Gyms and on trains the external noise that you hear is unbelievable annoying.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I turned my clicks off. Both on iPhone and iPad.

Also the lock/unlock sounds. They were cool for some time, now they just seem passè.

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
Why would you think that any unnecessary noise is ok in a library? A real keyboard can't be "muted", so no one is a big enough jerk to tell anyone that they're hitting the keys too hard. But you can mute your phone REALLY easily, and even if no one tells you to turn the sound off, you should.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
This is so my mum, her phone is always at full blast, no matter what shes doing.
Also, yes, I have, but it was in fact, the keyboard on my mac, I woke up my (very) light sleeping roommate.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
I've always turned off Keyboard Clicks, Lock Sounds, and New Mail. Otherwise it would be annoying, for me with my own phone and for anyone around me I'm sure. I also turned off Keyboard Clicks on my wife's phone because it annoyed me. She didn't notice or complain.

In fact, I was just at a restaurant several hours ago, and there was someone whose phone was emanating all three of those sounds frequently, and I thought "oh, there's someone with an iPhone who doesn't know how to turn off all those annoying sounds"

I don't think Keyboard Clicks is a necessary evil. I can manage 30WPM without it on (and that's without autocomplete, the app I used to measure it didn't do autocomplete), and turning it on doesn't increase my speed. I don't even look at the keyboard while I'm typing. I look at the output only (though see the keyboard in my peripheral vision). I imagine many seasoned iPhone users do this, and do it with Keyboard Clicks off. I'm just saying, I think you just haven't practiced enough with Keyboard Clicks off.

I haven't been a library in ages, but shouldn't you be putting your iPhone on mute/vibrate in the first place?

jumpmanpro97

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2010
it annoys me when people are clicking away on their iPhone it feels like I'm in a computer lab back in college. I shut mine off

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
It's barely audible on my iP5. It's not like i'm sat there with a cherry blue mechanical keyboard or something.

If people get annoyed by that slight noise, then tough luck.

People obviously never have any real stress in their life if that's an issue, first world problem at most. It's not even that.

I can appreciate the constant ding noise from texts being annoying though, they are pretty loud.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
If you are thinking they are too loud... Then they probably are. You may not like typing without them but others may not like studying with your clicks happening on the time. Turn them down or off when you are in a place that is quiet such as a library. It's common sense and simple etiquette.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
everybody seriously hates you in there you cant tell?

LOL who would even bother to get upset over some keyboard sounds, whoever does I my view has nothing else to complaint about. I love the tactile sound iPhone keyboard sound makes.

Six8

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2012
Earth
You must be one of those people who has their phone on full volume alerts... DING DING, as the text comes. Click as you unlock the phone. Tick tack tick tack as you type your message. Swoop as it sends. Another click as it locks.

In short... we hate you.

That's what they're for no?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
LOL who would even bother to get upset over some keyboard sounds, whoever does I my view has nothing else to complaint about. I love the tactile sound iPhone keyboard sound makes.

Just like kids, you don't mind yours, but if somebody else's kids is making a ratchet...

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
We need haptic feedback. I hate the clicks, but hate the lack of feedback too...

On a side note...Anyone afraid of their phone ringing in public? I feel like everyone judges me when my phone makes an iPhone ringtone sound. I'd turn my phone on vibrate, but :
1-I like the sound it makes
2-I get startled by the vibrate it does

• Love
Reactions: compwiz1202

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Wow, most people have them off? Mine is switched on, don't find them annoying. Or rather I'm used to it.:D

Rocko1

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2011

It's not a few sounds, it's constant clicks that are unnecessary in a quiet place. It shows complete lack of respect for other humans. It says I am a narcissist, I will make as much noise as I like, to hell with you people reading. That is why people get upset. And that is why the tribe needs to handle these inconsiderate people strong and swiftly.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
It's not a few sounds, it's constant clicks that are unnecessary in a quiet place. It shows complete lack of respect for other humans. It says I am a narcissist, I will make as much noise as I like, to hell with you people reading. That is why people get upset. And that is why the tribe needs to handle these inconsiderate people strong and swiftly.

well said!

I always pop my phone to vibration only in a quiet place. Some people are just rude.

Reactions: compwiz1202
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.