Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
Hello everyone! I have a much discussed and debated question to ask. Should I sell my full size iPad 4th generation for a 16GB white iPad mini? I tried it out today at the Apple Store, and I fell in love. But I am not sure if I will be satisfied with it. Have any other people out there did the same thing I'm thinking? What do you guys think? Thanks :D

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
The only reason to make the trade is for the size factor. Otherwise the iPad is miles better than the Mini. It's really no contest to which is a better machine.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hello everyone! I have a much discussed and debated question to ask. Should I sell my full size iPad 4th generation for a 16GB white iPad mini? I tried it out today at the Apple Store, and I fell in love. But I am not sure if I will be satisfied with it. Have any other people out there did the same thing I'm thinking? What do you guys think? Thanks :D

To add to GimmeSlack12's advice, it is obvious that the iPad mini is positioned to have more dated internals than its larger counterpart in the same way that the iPod touch is now positioned to have more dated internals than the contemporary iPhone. Given how quickly it took the A4 iPad to become slow with software updates, my guess is that, in terms of software support, the iPad mini, running the A5 will probably not give you as much mileage as the A6X 4th Generation iPad. If you love the form factor, I'd wait until it gets both a retina display and some flavor of A6(X) processor, because it is obvious that those advancements are coming.

Otherwise, it's a size disparity. Personally, the ability to type on my iPad when in landscape mode in the same way that I can on a laptop is an incredible feature that one would be giving up in going to the iPad mini. I couldn't do it unless said iPad mini became yet a tertiary iOS device (but that seems a tad excessive).

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
Otherwise, it's a size disparity. Personally, the ability to type on my iPad when in landscape mode in the same way that I can on a laptop is an incredible feature that one would be giving up in going to the iPad mini. I couldn't do it unless said iPad mini became yet a tertiary iOS device (but that seems a tad excessive).

Good input.

Also I just should state this clearly:
Do not think you will not notice the non-Retina display if you are used to a Retina display. I encourage to keep the iPad and ignore the mini.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Keep the full sized device, its a lot more powerful and the screen is a huge advantage. Retina displays have become the standard now, why settle for less?

That being said, it depends what you do with it...

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
If you already own the iPad 4, I would just stick out with it until a retina iPad mini appears. I have both an iPad 4 and iPad mini and both are interesting devices.

martinm0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2010
Good input.

Also I just should state this clearly:
Do not think you will not notice the non-Retina display if you are used to a Retina display. I encourage to keep the iPad and ignore the mini.

THIS. I tried the iPad Mini and just couldn't take the non-retina display. Its a wonderful device outside of that and suggest to hold onto the iPad 4 and wait for a Retina Mini later this year. You have a great iPad and no sense losing money selling it now and then lusting after a Retina Mini when they are released.

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
I did this - and would not recommend. It's most certainly a downgrade, not just size but everything else, especially the screen.

Wait for retina and an improvements which make it a feasible swap!

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I'd rather have both or just the iPad 4 but I do love the Mini.

I suggest the Mini for people who are REALLY on the go. As in, constantly hopping on buses, cabs, subways.

If you spend more than 20% of your "work day" sitting down, iPad 4 all the way.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I bought both, and found that most of the time (unless I'm on a couch), I'm reaching for the mini. Charges in no time, it's light, fits in one hand, & tucks in a back jeans pocket or coat pocket. I love this thing. The convenience of it far outweighs the lack of retina for me. It's nowhere near as powerful, but so far it's been powerful enough not to be a bother.

The next gen will have Retina, but will probably be barely powerful enough to drive it. I'll skip it.

The generation after that will be the sweet one to get, with the retina display and the more significant chip, cameras, etc.

After that, I'll be content, until the day they add Thunderbolt & a Wacom digitizer layer.

iAsimov76

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
The only reason to make the trade is for the size factor. Otherwise the iPad is miles better than the Mini. It's really no contest to which is a better machine.

For you perhaps. I find my mini miles better than the regular iPad in terms of every day use for it's size and portability and the fact I can hold it in the palm of my hand. The "non-retina" issue is also a personal one. I went from a retina iPad to a mini and have no complaints whatsoever. But to each their own.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I went for an iPad mini (got my girlfriend one for her birthday) and I have to agree with the consensus.
Yes it's still an iPad through and through but you cant help but feel like youre not experiencing the full ipad experience due to the non retina display and the small screen. it felt a bit like a big ipod touch.

On an iPad I feel like I'm on a full computer. the iPad mini felt like a mobile compromise of such. like a big ipod touch.

I would stick with iPad 4. the weight issue is exaggerated around here and you're getting a full web experience.

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
Well everyone, I took the plunge and sold my iPad 4th gen. It just didn't make sense to me to have a MacBook Air and a full size iPad, I think the iPad mini will be much more of a better compromise. AND MORE MONEY IN MY POCKET ;)

MalooNZ

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2012
Auckland NZ
Depends on your usage

If you only read books the mini is great - if you do anything else i can't see why you would buy a mini other than price. As you have 4 stick with it. Also it's hard to go from a retina display.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
Well everyone, I took the plunge and sold my iPad 4th gen. It just didn't make sense to me to have a MacBook Air and a full size iPad, I think the iPad mini will be much more of a better compromise. AND MORE MONEY IN MY POCKET ;)

Totally don't understand you reasons, but now you have a poor proforming iPad Mini enjoy!

iAsimov76

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
If you only read books the mini is great - if you do anything else i can't see why you would buy a mini other than price. As you have 4 stick with it. Also it's hard to go from a retina display.

Apparently not since the OP traded his 4 for a mini.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada

I have a MacBook Air, an iPad 4 and we have a Mini in the house, I can use anytime. For me, I dislike the Mini, don't like tablets with small screens. Sounds like your decision was largely money motivated with the emphasis of caps and all... To each their own.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011

In your logic, doesnt make sense for you to haave an ipad at all. At this point, keep the money and wait for the next ipad refresh

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011

Seeing how many Apple products you have, internals really don't seem to matter to you much. Which is probably a good thing. They don't define the experience completely.

I love my mini. I couldn't go back to regular iPad. Mini is MUCH better to type on, and has much better battery.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
In the same situation but I'm definitely holding out for the Retina iPad Mini. the larger iPad will do just fine until it comes out.

nickprete11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 5, 2012
Philadelphia
I think my decision was more fueled by the size then money. I liked the cheaper price point, yeah, but cheaper prices mean cheaper upgrades mean more saved to spend on other things. Also, I mainly use my iPad for web, FB and social, iBooks, and some gaming. Other than that, I do nothing professionally. I will most likely upgrade to the iPad mini with Retina Display, but I'm not even sure. I'll probably be happy enough with the current mini.

prdlacky

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2013
Mini is fine for bed lazy stuff :)) But when you want nice display and big display size.. Original iPad for this is best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.