Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
London
I have subscribed to one to one as this is my 1st mac and am not familiar with the os and thought it sounds very usefull.

What are your experiences of the one to one service?

Also, has anyone used apple to carry out the data transfer to a new mac from a windows pc and how did it go? We're there any problems? Is it easy enough to do yourself?
Thanks.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
i am also new to the Mac OS having just recently purchased a imac
i was also considering purchasing one to one
but knowing me i just think its really fun to try and figure out the OS yourself and go exploring and transfering data such as music documents and videos was really simple and a breeze
you dont have to be tech savy to figure that out
i just used a external HDD and copied all my stuff to the hdd and put it on the imac and it was a usb 3 hdd so its was super fast :D

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
London
i am also new to the Mac OS having just recently purchased a imac
i was also considering purchasing one to one
but knowing me i just think its really fun to try and figure out the OS yourself and go exploring and transfering data such as music documents and videos was really simple and a breeze
you dont have to be tech savy to figure that out
i just used a external HDD and copied all my stuff to the hdd and put it on the imac and it was a usb 3 hdd so its was super fast :D

Could I just plug my laptop in via an Ethernet cable and do it like that?

I only want my music and pictures.

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas

yea i think you can do that too
i think windows and mac have a tool to help you transfer all your stuff
---migration assistant

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA

The easiest method of transferring your music and pictures is to move the libraries to an external hard drive and then simply drag and drop them into your iMac. Very very simple to do.

Migration Assistant is a tool that will migrate much more information however it doesn't give your the choice of picking and choosing what files you want, that is why I'd suggest my approach. I'd strongly recommend you bookmark and read Apple's Mac Basics, it's located at:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/

In that link you will find information that advises of the different methods of migrating from a PC to a Mac. I've found that following Apple's instructions is the best approach. I made the switch from PC's to Macs about 6 years ago now and have never looked back. If you are pretty familiar with MS Windows you shouldn't have too much trouble, there is a learning curve but it's not steep. And if you are like most users after a couple of months you will find yourself saying, "why didn't I do this years ago!"

BTW if you are interested in learning about Migration Assistant please read Pondini's article, it's the definitive standard for explaining Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant. The link is:

http://pondini.org/OSX/MigrateLion.html

Regarding One to One, that's really a personal decision. If you feel very comfortable with a PC IMHO it's probably not necessary. However if you are the type of user that likes hand holding then by all means it's a great service. Also don't forget you have a free 90 days of AppleCare telephone support, so you can call and ask as many questions as you're like. I'd also recommend buying AppleCare (anytime within the first year of ownership but not one day after!!!), this will extend your warranty to 3 years and also provide 3 years of phone support. IMHO AppleCare isn't something to think about it's a mandatory!!! You can buy it directly from Apple or if you want to save some money buy it from a reseller such as B&H or Amazon, each discount it. Do NOT repeat DO NOT buy it from Craig's List or E-Bay.

Last edited:

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
London
The easiest method of transferring your music and pictures is to move the libraries to an external hard drive and then simply drag and drop them into your iMac. Very very simple to do.

Migration Assistant is a tool that will migrate much more information however it doesn't give your the choice of picking and choosing what files you want, that is why I'd suggest my approach. I'd strongly recommend you bookmark and read Apple's Mac Basics, it's located at:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbasics/

In that link you will find information that advises of the different methods of migrating from a PC to a Mac. I've found that following Apple's instructions is the best approach. I made the switch from PC's to Macs about 6 years ago now and have never looked back. If you are pretty familiar with MS Windows you
shouldn't have too much trouble, there is a learning curve but it's not steep. And if you are like most users after a couple of months you will find yourself saying, "why didn't I do this years ago!"

BTW if you are interested in learning about Migration Assistant please read Pondini's article, it's the definitive standard for explaining Setup Assistant and Migration Assistant. The link is:

http://pondini.org/OSX/MigrateLion.html

Very useful, thanks:)

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
London
Regarding One to One, that's really a personal decision. If you feel very comfortable with a PC IMHO it's probably not necessary. However if you are the type of user that likes hand holding then by all means it's a great service. Also don't forget you have a free 90 days of AppleCare telephone support, so you can call and ask as many questions as you're like. I'd also recommend buying AppleCare (anytime within the first year of ownership but not one day after!!!), this will extend your warranty to 3 years and also provide 3 years of phone support. IMHO AppleCare isn't something to think about it's a mandatory!!! You can buy it directly from Apple or if you want to save some money buy it from a reseller such as B&H or Amazon, each discount it. Do NOT repeat DO NOT buy it from Craig's List or E-Bay.

What is wrong with the eBay ones?

rkaufmann87

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2009
Folsom, CA
What is wrong with the eBay ones?

The issue is they are very easy to counterfeit, so a unsophisticated buyer can buy a copy then successfully register and then find out when he really needs service it is denied because he doesn't have an authentic registration and is denied service. AppleCare's retail cost is $169, I just looked at B&H ($122) and Amazon ($120), it's not worth "saving" a few bucks on Ebay just to find out you have been swindled.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
I also subscribe to one2one. I've only been to two classes since signing up in August 2012. What I discovered was OSX is not too dissimilar from Windows. I learned the system on my own. For you, your experience might be different. :)

Willmo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
London
I also subscribe to one2one. I've only been to two classes since signing up in August 2012. What I discovered was OSX is not too dissimilar from Windows. I learned the system on my own. For you, your experience might be different. :)

What were the classes for may I ask?

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
What were the classes for may I ask?

Getting Started on Your (1 hour, 6 to 8 people in class), general overview OS X. The second, again Getting Started on Your Mac, this time 30 minutes (didn't last that long/only me in class) I had a question on Mac files and folders. I learned later I could accomplish the same thing from a YouTube presentation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.