Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
I just bought my first apple PC - the iMac.

I got a store configuration with the following

27" screen
3.2 GHz core i5
8 gigs of ram (gonna upgrade soon)
1 tb hard drive (wanted fusion but the only configuration with fusion was 2,600 and wasn't trying to spend that!!!)
1 GB of GDDR5 memory
Magic Trackpad (I love this thing already!!!)

Now my questions are as follows:

1. I was told by the guy at the apple store that if I tried to copy files over from my old windows format to my new apple PC that it would reformat the drive and erase EVERYTHING on it without copying it, is this true? If it is, how would I get my stuff off of my my old PC?

2. The downloads in the taskbar, it doesn't look like it's making any progress, I clicked on it, but I see a progress bar, but no estimated time left (is there a way to pull that up?) on the download. How can I check this info?

3. how does mac handle zip files and other compressed file formats?

4. Is there any software to mount an ISO to have the new PC read it as if it were a disc in the drive so that I can install some stuff? I have backups of some software and without a DVD drive I wouldn't be able to install it.

5. How do I do boot camp to run windows 7? Where is a guide for that?

Sorry for so many questions, I'm formerly a windows guy making the transition.

bt22

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2009
Alabama
1. windows uses ntfs format of course and apple uses HFS + an Apple computer can't read ntfs. the only way you can share a hard drive is to format it in fat 32. so i don't see how this is true.

2. need more info

3. no experience

4. if you had another mac that had an optical drive you could share that drive, but i don't think this is an option between windows and mac.

5. try google or youtube

Nov 28, 2010
located
Congratulations on your purchase and I hope you will not be overwhelmed by the number of guides I will probably link to (I am known for that), and if it is too much, just say so.

1. I was told by the guy at the apple store that if I tried to copy files over from my old windows format to my new apple PC that it would reformat the drive and erase EVERYTHING on it without copying it, is this true? If it is, how would I get my stuff off of my my old PC?
Reading from any HDD will not delete or format any data on it.
What that guy probably meant, is that once you copied all your data from that external HDD you used with Windows, in order to transfer all your documents, you can reformat the HDD to your needs, if it needs to be used with Windows still or if it can be used only with Mac OS X.

Overview of the four major file systems (called "Formats" in Mac OS X) used on Windows and Mac OS X, compiled by GGJstudios. You can use Disk Utility to format any HDD to your liking.

Any external hard drive will work with PCs or Macs, as long as the connectors are there (Firewire, USB, etc.) It doesn't matter how the drive is formatted out of the box, since you can re-format any way you like. Formatting can be done with the Mac OS X Disk Utility, found in the /Applications/Utilities folder. Here are your formatting options:

HFS+ (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36).
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

exFAT (FAT64)
  • Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT. See disadvantages.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)
  • Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
    [*]Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

2. The downloads in the taskbar, it doesn't look like it's making any progress, I clicked on it, but I see a progress bar, but no estimated time left (is there a way to pull that up?) on the download. How can I check this info?
What you call a "taskbar" is the Dock.

Basic Mac OS X Graphical User Interface (GUI) Elements
clickable for bigger picture
2011_11_15_pB1_MacOSX-GUI-Elements.png
If you download with Safari, on the top right there should be an icon which indicates a download in progress and also should show the remaining time.
The Dock icon of the Downloads folder is not an actual place to store files, it is just a link to your proper Downloads folder, and it also should not indicate any time remaining.

And again, that frelling REDO button on top of the text entry field, which I accidentally clicked, deleted the already given answer to this, and UNDO does not work. Fine work VBB.
Anyway, ZIP files will be decompressed via a double click on the ZIP file in Finder, ZIP and other compressed archive preview tools are available via the Mac App Store (MAS), since OS X does not do that. RAR and other compressed archives can be extracted via The Unarchiver, freely available from the MAS. Other tools exist of course.

4. Is there any software to mount an ISO to have the new PC read it as if it were a disc in the drive so that I can install some stuff? I have backups of some software and without a DVD drive I wouldn't be able to install it.
Double clicking an ISO file should mount that image and make it available in Finder's Sidebar under Devices.

You get a Windows installer (USB or DVD) and go to Applications / Utilities / Boot Camp Assistant.
More info: Booting Windows on the Mac

This could give you some ideas:
To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

----------

1. windows uses ntfs format of course and apple uses HFS + an Apple computer can't read ntfs. the only way you can share a hard drive is to format it in fat 32. so i don't see how this is true.

A Mac running Mac OS X or OS X can read NTFS formatted volumes, it cannot write to it without additional software though.
Look above for a more thorough guide on file systems and their compatibilities.

Booch21

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
Parallels had a thing where it would make the transition for you. I'm not sure if they sell the same package or not, but it allows me to run Win in a virtual computer. Never used it in Boot Camp because I rarely fire up Windows regularly anyway.

As for helping in other issues, when I bought mine, Apple's website had lots of resources for making the transition from Win to Mac. Here is the starting point: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2518

Hope this helps!

12dylan34

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2009
1. Open up Migration assistant on your Mac and do what it tells you to transfer files from your old PC. Just type "Migration Assistant" into spotlight in the right of the menu bar.

2.not sure what you're referring to.

3. Just double click the .zip file to unzip it. It unzips into the same location as the .zip file. To make a .zip, simply right click he folder/file and click "compress."

4. Not sure. Maybe someone else knows.

5. Again, just google it. It'll be one of the first results.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru

27" screen
3.2 GHz core i5
1 tb hard drive (wanted fusion but the only configuration with fusion was 2,600 and wasn't trying to spend that!!!)
1 GB of GDDR5 memory

How was it going to be 2600 with fusion?
im planning on buying the 27 too but with i7 3.4ghz and fusion. all comes up as 2400

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013

27" screen
3.2 GHz core i5
1 GB of GDDR5 memory

1) Setup your new mac and copy from the windows machine your documents, photos, iTunes if you have that. Put documents folder(s) in the documents folder, photos folder in the photos folder, iTunes folder in the music folder

2) estimated time to completion is BS, apple shows you size progress but doesn't try to estimate time. If it took 5 mins to get half-way, expect another 5 mins.

3) by unzipping them. Rar and other formats need free software from the app store. Click on the big "A" in the dock.

4) double click on the iso and it get's mounted.

5) apple website will give you all you need to know about bootcamp. I don't use it or I'd tell you.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
How was it going to be 2600 with fusion?
im planning on buying the 27 too but with i7 3.4ghz and fusion. all comes up as 2400

It was also the core i7 with the 1tb fusion and 2gb video card

----------

But thanks for all the advice

Graveyard

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Romania

Dude! Really?!? Osx CAN READ ntfs, it CAN'T WRITE ntfs without third party software.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Oh look, someone needs an optical disk drive. Who'da thunk it?

I don't know anyone that doesn't use optical drives.

But I don't think they should come internally only because it only leaves one more thing to go wrong.

Drive goes bad, you have to take the whole computer back

It should have been included in the box for an optimal user experience.

But overall I love the computer

symber

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2012
London
I don't know anyone that doesn't use optical drives.

But I don't think they should come internally only because it only leaves one more thing to go wrong.

Drive goes bad, you have to take the whole computer back

It should have been included in the box for an optimal user experience.

But overall I love the computer

Sorry, probably being overly sarcy there, but my point stands. Lots of people defending the thin design and ODD omission with slightly condescending shouts of "obsolete tech!" which got my goat recently.

To be fair, not heard your argument before (that it's an extra component that might fail), but is that a reason not to include a feature? That it might break? Seems pretty defeatist to me.

The real test of design would be to make something both good looking AND easily repairable, don't you think? Maybe the next one...

Sorry fella. I'm probably just jealous. (In fact, I am: of the graphics card in the 2012.)

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Sorry, probably being overly sarcy there, but my point stands. Lots of people defending the thin design and ODD omission with slightly condescending shouts of "obsolete tech!" which got my goat recently.

To be fair, not heard your argument before (that it's an extra component that might fail), but is that a reason not to include a feature? That it might break? Seems pretty defeatist to me.

The real test of design would be to make something both good looking AND easily repairable, don't you think? Maybe the next one...

Sorry fella. I'm probably just jealous. (In fact, I am: of the graphics card in the 2012.)
I totally agree with you, you speak the truth.
Should have at least been included in the box

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I totally agree with you, you speak the truth.
Should have at least been included in the box

Disagree. The iMac experience, for a while now, has been about simplicity. You take your iMac out, plug the power cord in, and that's it. With the wireless mouse/trackpad, it's that very experience that makes Apple ... Apple!

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Disagree. The iMac experience, for a while now, has been about simplicity. You take your iMac out, plug the power cord in, and that's it. With the wireless mouse/trackpad, it's that very experience that makes Apple ... Apple!

iMac simplicity only works for shiny retail demo. Once you buy an iMac and take it home, and then ACTUALLY uses it, you'll need bunch of peripherals, externals, thumbdrives, phones, iPad plugged.

Yep it's messy, nasty, so unApple once you use it .. So does a Ferarri.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
iMac simplicity only works for shiny retail demo. Once you buy an iMac and take it home, and then ACTUALLY uses it, you'll need bunch of peripherals, externals, thumbdrives, phones, iPad plugged.

Yep it's messy, nasty, so unApple once you use it .. So does a Ferarri.

Incorrect. I know a large number of people who just bring home their iMac, plug it in, and that's the end. Some of those people plug in a printer, and some do not.

The key is that initial experience is something that does, in fact, stay with you. You know what they say about first impressions...

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Incorrect. I know a large number of people who just bring home their iMac, plug it in, and that's the end. Some of those people plug in a printer, and some do not.

The key is that initial experience is something that does, in fact, stay with you. You know what they say about first impressions...

Well that's too bad because it would be a waste of this state of the art computer.

It has 4 USB 3.0 ports so I'd like to make sure all of them used optimally. I also bought Thunderbolt ssd drives just for backup and so they do not eat into my precious usb.
I use the Ethernet connected to Router and NAS as movie libraries
I also connect it with my surround receiver via miniTOSLINK so I can get optimum sonic clarity and surround system instead of using an analog 3.5mm.

Yes there are a few messy cables out of my iMac's rear chassis. But I bought those ports along with my iMac so it's nothing more than optimizing what I have on hands for actual, real life usage ;)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Well that's too bad because it would be a waste of this state of the art computer.

Define "wasteful." Surely if you're concerned about waste, money would be in there, too. For less money you can buy a computer with loads of USB 3.0 ports, many more than four!

It all depends on who you are. Some people like to buy an iMac, plug that power cord in and be done. The rest of us (myself included) want to attach TwelveSouth Backpacks, sit it in a HiRise, and attach several Thunderbolt devices and other accessories.

I'd say we're in the minority, though. Most people are not going to plug tons of stuff into their iMac. A waste? Maybe? Maybe not? Some people like the Apple aesthetic, and that's it. Can't say I disagree with them if it makes them happy.

varunsanthanam

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2007
California

Unlike Windows, no 3rd party software is required for that. OS X has that functionality built in -- it can both mount AND burn disc image files including .dmg, .iso, and .img files

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 3, 2013
Unlike Windows, no 3rd party software is required for that. OS X has that functionality built in -- it can both mount AND burn disc image files including .dmg, .iso, and .img files

I just realized that, but i also just realized my Xbox 360's hd dvd drive (forgot I had the thing) works to read discs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.