Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
They use it for any and every post that they don't like or agree with. I have seen many threads hijacked because of the use of this term and I believe that users should start being called out for misappropriating the term when a post is clearly not trolling. It's not just misuse, but it's overuse of this word. It's used as a tool to dismantle sensible discussions.

Why should some members be treated better than others because of their opinions? I thought everyone should be respected the same.

Last edited:

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Calling someone a troll is name calling. As mentioned above please report the post where it will be reviewed.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
They use it for any and every post that they don't like or agree with. I have seen many threads hijacked because of the use of this term and I believe that users should start being called out for misappropriating the term when a post is clearly not trolling. It's not just misuse, but it's overuse of this word. It's used as a tool to dismantle sensible discussions.

Why should some members be treated better than others because of their opinions? I thought everyone should be respected the same.

I agree, it seems to be difficult sometimes to differentiate between opposing viewpoints and trolling. As I see it, it's all in the presentation of the viewpoint. If people are truly interested in discussing an issue with others who have differing viewpoints, everybody's got to remember to challenge the content of a post, not make personal comments to or about the member who posted.

Real trolling is posting only to rile other people up, with no genuine desire to discuss.

I think if people ignored real trolling, the real trolls would give up pretty quickly. It's tempting to sucked into it, but not worth it.

And like stridemat points out, name-calling isn't allowed here.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I don't think most people have ever even seen a real troll. When people go around calling anything and everything a troll post, the word becomes less meaningful.

A real troll is not going to try to discuss anything, they will just do one opening post and then watch the community descend into madness. Trolls are actually very smart people. Everything they do is planned.

I've had people looking into my history and claiming that I'm a troll, so they'll put me on ignore or whatever. But I'm going to call then out on it. You can't just tell troll everytime someone says something and you don't agree.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
A real troll is not going to try to discuss anything, they will just do one opening post and then watch the community descend into madness. Trolls are actually very smart people. Everything they do is planned.
I think there are people that post an inflammatory content in a thread and walk away - as you mentioned.

There is however people who choose to continue to engage other members for a single purpose of inciting them, i.e., wanting to push their buttons.

As for people's intelligence level, like all of humanity you'll get a varied mixture, some will be extremely intelligent and some who may not be.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004

A real troll is not going to try to discuss anything, they will just do one opening post and then watch the community descend into madness...

I wish it were that simple, but it's not. As maflynn points out, posting with the intention to upset or taunt other members is also trolling. It can be very subtle.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I think there are people that post an inflammatory content in a thread and walk away - as you mentioned.

There is however people who choose to continue to engage other members for a single purpose of inciting them, i.e., wanting to push their buttons.

As for people's intelligence level, like all of humanity you'll get a varied mixture, some will be extremely intelligent and some who may not be.

And I think this is where the mistake is made. People will mistake it for "trying to push buttons" when in reality it's just a post that states something that they don't agree with.

If someone says that they didn't like the new iPad, I can guarantee that someone here would label that person a troll, even though that person really doesn't like the new iPad!

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Theres always lots of posts from people that can only be described as trolls on here. They are always a newbie and weirdly never return after making their ridiculous statement.

Some people do post such strange things that you begin to wonder if they can be serious or if they are just trying to to wind people up. I suppose often they are genuine and get falsely labeled a troll, but just use the report button if it bothers you.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
If you say you don't like the iphone and state why with very valid reasons you're called a troll and an apple hater.

It's happened to me, I called the iphone 5 out on its shortcomings and was called an apple hater and once it was implied that I couldn't afford an iphone.

Never mind that I have an ipod touch which costs the same or less than an iphone 5 and an imac.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I don't think most people have ever even seen a real troll. When people go around calling anything and everything a troll post, the word becomes less meaningful.

I've had people looking into my history and claiming that I'm a troll, so they'll put me on ignore or whatever. But I'm going to call then out on it. You can't just tell troll everytime someone says something and you don't agree.

Like under a bridge? I don't think I've seen one of those. I agree though, you're NOT a troll, you're...something else. It's fair for person to ask a question or two if they don't know something or are confused. Your posts, however, drastically cross that line. Asking if the iPhone can play PS3/XBOX games for example. Acting like it's crazy that people are annoyed if you have keyboard clicks on in a library, complaining that your hand gets tired browsing the store or "suffering" verbal "abuse" from non-iphone users all indicate someone who has A) never been out of their house or B) someone who is just posting inane things so people pay attention to them. So there you have it, attention whore or troll, but for most it's a potato/potato thing.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London

Kinda what happened to my PM G5 thread, heh. :rolleyes:

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Yeah.... I think your issue is you make things up to start threads and people get tired of seeing it.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
If you say you don't like the iphone and state why with very valid reasons you're called a troll and an apple hater.

It's happened to me, I called the iphone 5 out on its shortcomings and was called an apple hater and once it was implied that I couldn't afford an iphone.

Never mind that I have an ipod touch which costs the same or less than an iphone 5 and an imac.

I don't really take regard to people like that.

What I classify as trolling is when people say that they don't like an Apple products, and everyone (millions) of people who buy it are blind followers and sheep, even though they have their own personal reasons to buy it.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Yeah.... I think your issue is you make things up to start threads and people get tired of seeing it.

And what basis do you have to make that judgement? How do you just assume, in your own mind, that these are made up, with no actual basis.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

I think you're trolling.

:cool:

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004

And what basis do you have to make that judgement? How do you just assume, in your own mind, that these are made up, with no actual basis.

I think you're trolling.

:cool:

This is a perfect illustration of how difficult it can be to identify trolling sometimes. :p Is a member purposely trying to rile up other members? Is he/she just mistaken (thinking something is fact and saying so when in fact it isn't true)? Are other members getting irritated because a member is purposely trolling, or are they only irritated because they won't allow room for opposing views (which are often made harder to swallow if the member posting the unpopular viewpoint isn't wording him or herself well, or maybe even isn't a native English speaker)?

My advice? Give people the benefit of the doubt, and if you think they may be trolling, ignore them. Trolls die out if they are ignored, they feed on attention.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Would it be considered trolling if I sat around acting like I agreed with whatever you're saying? If you've been accused of trolling, and you can't effectively prove that that person is in fact trolling, and not having a sensible discussion, you need to one reevaluate the word into you should not be banning them.

Fact of the matter is, I try to have sensible discussions just like a lot of other people on this forum, and we keep getting it stepped on because some people cannot sit with the fact that they have different views then we do.

Last edited:

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Would it be considered trolling if I sat around acting like I agreed with whatever you're saying? If you've been accused of trolling, and you can't effectively prove that that person is in fact trolling, and not having a sensible discussion, you need to one reevaluate the word into you should not be banning them.

Fact of the matter is, I try to have sensible discussions just like a lot of other people on this forum, and we keep getting it stepped because some people cannot sit with the fact that they have different views then we do.

I'm having a hard time understanding what this post says :confused:

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I'm having a hard time understanding what this post says :confused:

People should not be getting banned for trolling unless they are a proven troll. I know no one's going to take this seriously but it's your forum, and your choice.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
A real troll is not going to try to discuss anything, they will just do one opening post and then watch the community descend into madness.
That's a succesful troll vs. an unsuccesful troll, not a "real" vs. a "fake" troll.

Trolls are actually very smart people. Everything they do is planned.
That's not smart, it's malicious. I haven't seen a smart troll yet.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Trolling does not include posting opposing viewpoints, posting something that not everyone will understand, taboo or controversial discussions.

There is only one definition for trolling and that is posting in order to make someone angry, to flame them.

The fact that I was given a time out on the count of trolling for the topic, "What's the difference between the iPad 3 and 4" means that somebody was inevitably, angered by that question, or they may have not been, but thought that the topic was created in order to anger someone.

Which is not the case, and therefore I have been served an injustice.

The next time someone attempts to call me a troll I'm calling them out on it.

~End of discussion.~

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.