Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nyartist63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
I recently downloaded several Adobe programs for use on my MacBook Pro (15", late 2008 version). I noticed after doing this (it could be just a coincidence) I now have three files which look like Excel files from their icons, but I can't open them to be sure. I can't delete them and I can't get info on them. They were never there before and I mention the Adobe downloads only because these files appeared about the same time. The names of the three file are: D2AF1000 64082000 9A733000

Can anyone tell me what they are and how to get rid of them? Thanks.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I recently downloaded several Adobe programs for use on my MacBook Pro (15", late 2008 version). I noticed after doing this (it could be just a coincidence) I now have three files which look like Excel files from their icons, but I can't open them to be sure. I can't delete them and I can't get info on them. They were never there before and I mention the Adobe downloads only because these files appeared about the same time. The names of the three file are: D2AF1000 64082000 9A733000

First, try restarting your Mac to see if they still appear. If so, for problems deleting items or emptying the trash, you may find some useful ideas here:

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006

No idea what they are. Removal should be simple.

Open Terminal (in Utilities) and paste in the following

Code:
cd ~/Desktop; rm -f D2AF1000 64082000 9A733000

and press return.

That should remove them, but if not, there's stronger medicine available.

nyartist63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Thanks

Thanks to both of you and I will let you know what happens. It worries me since they seem to be totally inaccessible in normal ways.
Cheers and thanks again.

----------

HI LPZ

I tried your method but all I got was this
new-host:Desktop patrickfinegan$

(Thats me) Files are still there.

When I op ned Terminal it gave me the login info and such which I couldn't erase. Is that ok? I was not able, after two tries, to paste what you wrote cleanly. Could this interfere with carrying the code out?

Still trying. Thanks.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
new-host: Desktop patrickfinegan$

Looks like you entered the Terminal command properly, but it didn't remove the files.

First, have you tried simply rebooting your computer, as suggested by GGJstudios? If not, try that.

If the icons are still on your Desktop, you could try pasting this into Terminal and then pressing return. You'll need to supply your password when requested.

Code:
cd ~/Desktop; sudo rm -f D2AF1000 64082000 9A733000

Last edited:

benthewraith

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Thanks to both of you and I will let you know what happens. It worries me since they seem to be totally inaccessible in normal ways.
Cheers and thanks again.

----------

HI LPZ

new-host:Desktop patrickfinegan$

(Thats me) Files are still there.

When I op ned Terminal it gave me the login info and such which I couldn't erase. Is that ok? I was not able, after two tries, to paste what you wrote cleanly. Could this interfere with carrying the code out?

Still trying. Thanks.

You just type the command at the prompt. Not sure why you can't copy pasta, however. I don't know if there will be a password prompt or not (I don't think there will be), but in case there is, just type your password in. The field will appear to remain blank, just type the password in and hit enter. Should be simple enough.

nyartist63

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2013
Rebooting worked! Thank you

Hi again,

It worked! I rebooted and the files disappeared. Strange but I don't really understand programming. Thank you GGJstudios (I should have tried your advice first) and LPZ (I very much appreciate your patience) so much for your help.

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.