Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rowbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Gatineau, PQ, Canada
Another Barred Owl shot.

PHD_6270-XL.jpg

Awesome portrait !

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
Another beauty. Lines, texture, reflection, color. My eyes keep wandering all over this one. Another signature Phrasikleia photo.

Excellent again Miss P.

Its obvious that a lot of preparation went before you trigger the shutter; from the overall composition, your positioning to maximize the colors from the sky reflecting in the water, the details in foreground snow...magic :)

Thanks to you both for the comments. I really appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts. fcortese, it's nice to think that there might be something 'signature' about my photos...aside from the fact that they each bear one as a watermark, of course. ;)

Another Barred Owl shot. I'm certain this is the same guy I got shots of a couple weeks ago judging by the small brown mark/stain on his beak.

PHD_6270-XL.jpg

It's great to see him up close and personal like that. Beautiful bird.

The cats look great entwined together and gazing toward the light. I'm wondering if there is anything you could have done about the window taking such an assymetrical chunk out of the top of the frame, but I doubt that any other angle would have accomplished it. I like the photo so much that I took a quick stab at continuing the window to the left and adding a slight vignette at the top just to see how it would look. I think it takes the photo to a whole other level, but I don't know how averse you are to editing your photos to that extent. If you would like me to share the edit, I'll be happy to do that.

shashin

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
City Hall

CityHall_zpsb73f1238.jpg

Tokyo City Hall. I happened to be there today and the weather was good for this kind of photo.
The original image is a little more dramatic than this. Photobucket seems to be flattening out the contrast a lot:confused:
Maybe I should try Flicker next:rolleyes:
Nikon 24mm ISO 100 f/5.6 @ 1/60

Last edited:

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

The cats look great entwined together and gazing toward the light. I'm wondering if there is anything you could have done about the window taking such an assymetrical chunk out of the top of the frame, but I doubt that any other angle would have accomplished it. I like the photo so much that I took a quick stab at continuing the window to the left and adding a slight vignette at the top just to see how it would look. I think it takes the photo to a whole other level, but I don't know how averse you are to editing your photos to that extent. If you would like me to share the edit, I'll be happy to do that.

I had similar thoughts. The cats look fantastic, but the eye keeps getting drawn up to the top of the pic. Someone with better Photoshop skills than I have might be able to get rid of the window altogether, and maintain the uniform dark background across the whole pic. Just a thought...

kallisti

macrumors 68000
Apr 22, 2003
Providence hurricane barrier 2

8500086719_d0facda52a_c.jpg

A slightly different composition from the pic from yesterday.

For yesterday's, the arch of the bridge is the subject, with the actual openings of the barrier present but not the focus. The lamp on the left may be a distraction rather than adding anything.

For this one, the emphasis is squarely on the barrier mechanism itself.

I shot both the same day as I was waiting for the light on the power plant pic I posted earlier in the month. When I shot them I wasn't sure which composition would make a stronger image. While all aspects of photography can be challenging, I'm currently trying to focus most on my compositions. I don't trust myself yet, but I'm hoping practice will make perfect :)

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Another photo of El Capitain at Yosemite from across the Merced River
mercedriver201302166355.jpg

Beautiful Florian! I’m envious…Yosemite is right at top of my bucket list. I’m looking forward to more of these shots.

This is really good Doylem…so much to look at that just oozes history.

Awesome portrait !

It's great to see him up close and personal like that. Beautiful bird.

Thank you Rowbear and Phrasikleia…they really are beautiful creatures and sometimes you get lucky and other times you don’t:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87263055@N06/8499132532/

After a lengthy pursuit of this hawk, in bitter cold weather, he perched within lens reach for only a moment. I snapped-off this quick shot and then as I moved to try for an unobstructed view, he took flight once again. At that point, with numb fingers and very cold toes, I retired to Tim’s for one of the best cups of coffee I’ve had in awhile.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.