Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Exactly. It kinda ruins it for me when a game is not optimized for iPad/iPhone5. I'm not a mobile developer, (but I do use C++ and Visual Basic) but what is really involved in optimizing a game for the iPhone 5 that couldn't be done when they updated for iOS 6 support?

I actually paid for this game and I want iP5 display support!

Yeah I was kind of disappointed they never updated the iPhone version for the expanded screen. That game would have benefited from it a lot too.

When it came out they didn't promise you that so don't complain.
Anyways, a sequel is in the works I believe so you can pay and get your retina gaming. ;)

:D

29bfy21.png

can.rules

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2008
I've bought this game for PC, then on Steam for my Mac, on XBox Live, and for my iPhone. It's one of the greatest casual games ever, and still fun.

iOS version is fun, with cool achievements, but nothing beats the PC/Mac version with all the mini-games. "I, Zombie" is mad fun, I actually like it better than the main game!

Downloading the HD version for the iPad I don't own (future-proof).

The iOS version does have all the mini-games. It also has retina screen support (for iPhone 4) even in the non-HD version. It doesn't use the full screen on the iPhone 5, but it is still pretty good.

This game has been the best 2.99$ I ever spent. My kids have been playing with this for 2 years now, and are still hooked!

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Suspected it was App of the Week since this morning when it was first posted.

If you've never finished the game... Let's just say that you're in for a big "what just happened" moment. :D

I did finish the game...three times, twice on my iPhone, once on my PC/Steam, and I'm not sure what "what just happened" moment you're talking about? Maybe it was a minor surprise for me, but something big for you.:confused:

----------

Looks like PVZ 2 is nearing!! :)

I think they said late spring, but I wouldn't mind an early spring release. I just hope they didn't screw up one my most anticipated sequels in years.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
When it came out they didn't promise you that so don't complain.
Anyways, a sequel is in the works I believe so you can pay and get your retina gaming. ;)

No but they make enough money to spend a couple of hours making the game slightly longer!

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Those have always been there (for as long as I've had the game anyway). And if you're patient - willing to accumulate in-game coins - you can get those extras for free... it's just that impatient people are given the option to buy in-game coins with real money. :D

The coins have always been there as an in-game currency - but I'm pretty sure the option to buy extra coins via in-app purchase, and the use of coins to unlock mini-games, only appeared post-EA-takeover... accompanied by some quite serious inflation to make buying currency more tempting.

I wouldn't say that its ruined the game, but its an annoying trend.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
Yeah, this, and in-app purchases greed!

Yeah, it's so greedy when businesses with salaried employees and other overheads ask you for money in exchange for thousands of hours of development work. If only we had the choice to not buy, the world would be such a better place.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
YES! LOVED Plants vs Zombies on my iPhone but couldn't bring myself to pay for the iPad version. Looks like I don't have to now!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
The coins have always been there as an in-game currency - but I'm pretty sure the option to buy extra coins via in-app purchase, and the use of coins to unlock mini-games, only appeared post-EA-takeover... accompanied by some quite serious inflation to make buying currency more tempting.

I wouldn't say that its ruined the game, but its an annoying trend.

Ah, ok. I had previously played on my computer, and have only played the iPad version since I got the Mini. I noticed the difference you mentioned, but assumed it was just the difference between the computer and iOS versions.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
Yeah, it's so greedy when businesses with salaried employees and other overheads ask you for money in exchange for thousands of hours of development work. If only we had the choice to not buy, the world would be such a better place.

OK when its a free, or $0.99 game.

PvZ has not, until now, been free. People paid for it - about $10 originally. The in-app purchase stuff was put in later, as part of an update.

I have no problem with the principle of paying to unlock extra levels and new mini-games. What annoys me is the way it is implemented - by letting you use real money to buy in-game currency. PvZ has always had 'coins' that you earned by progressing in the game, and used to buy extra plants and other power-ups. I'm sure PopCap play-tested this to get the difficulty of earning coins and the cost of power-ups just right. Once you add the facility to buy coins with real money, it will inevitably lead to designers tuning the game to make it tempting to whip-out your credit card... I don't have an original PvZ to compare, but I'm pretty sure that Crazy Dave hiked up the prices of his twiddlydinks when the in-app purchase was added.

Having said that, PvZ is still a great game. I just hope that PvZ2 doesn't turn in to Farmville.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.