Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boomer9000

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2009
Tried this...

Not that I feel it solved :) but launching of Word:2008 now went down from 5+ min. to 2:17,6 min.

Mac Mini late 2008, 1.83Ghz, 2GB RAM.

Amuraivel

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Disable WYSIWYG

Disabling WYSIWYG shortened my open time on SL 10.6.2 from minutes or system hang to about 3 seconds.

Þanks for ðe tip!

bzollinger

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2005
I know this is an old thread, but thanks for the tip!

I'm going to try it tonight last night I was copying and pasting .jpgs from iPhoto to word and it was horrendous!!

dianeoforegon

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
Oregon
Starting with Office 2008, Microsoft installs fonts in this location:

Library/Fonts/Microsoft

They also installed duplicate fonts that Apple installs. Removing these older duplicate fonts then deleting font caches can help with startup and random crashes.

Microsoft fonts to delete after installing Snow Leopard (includes help deleting font caches)

http://www.office.mvps.org/troubleshoot/remove_fonts_snowleopard.html

See Font Management for help with Office 2011 fonts.

http://www.officeformachelp.com/office/font-management/

BTW, if you had Office 2004 installed, you can delete the fonts in your User's Library/Fonts/Fonts Disabled folder. When you install Office 2008 or Office 2011 Microsoft moves your older fonts to this folder.

Another folder you can delete in the User's Library to clear up some space are the cache files for Spotlight for Office 2004 and 2008.

/Library/Caches/Metadata/Microsoft/Entourage"

jtrauscht

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I realize this thread is pretty old, but I'm still using Word 2008, and it just took 75 freaking minutes to "optimize font performance" on launch. I am not exaggerating. (It's probably because I have a ton of fonts activated with Extensis Suitcase.) Everything else on my machine runs wonderfully.

I wish I would have discovered this tip sooner. I don't use Word a whole lot, but when I do, I don't need it for it's font handling.

Redbarchetta2112

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017
Hey,
I just posted this fix in another thread, but thought it deserved it's own.
Many of you have been having problems with very slow startup times with Office 2008.

My word/excel/powerpoint used to take about 1+ minutes to load.

It seems as though the office programs hang on startup due to 2 reasons.
The first being the auto start up of the project gallery and the second is the way it renders the preview of fonts(I use "Font Book" to preview my fonts anyhow.).

Here is how to fix it:

1. Launch word
2. Go to Word>Preferences
3. Click on "General"
4. uncheck "WYSIWYG font and style menus"
5. uncheck "Show Project Gallery At Startup"
6. Quit word
7. Reopen Word

My office programs now boot in 4 seconds or less and run smoothly.

Your Welcome :)

You can also view my blog for a more information http://bbold.com/blog/?p=7
Thanks. This worked for me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.