Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Spring Training games have gotten underway which marks the return of the best sport in history. Time for the annual MLB thread.

• How will the Miami Marlins perform in Toronto this year?
  • Will the Nationals/Orioles regress?
  • How will the Yankees perform? Here's hoping ARod is fired for using PED's still…..
  • Will the Red Sox bounce back?
  • Will the Giants finally get off cloud 9 and return to being a middle of a pack team now that the PED user is gone?

Last edited:

TSE

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
Spring Training games have gotten underway which marks the return of the best sport in history. Time for the annual MLB thread.

• How will the Yankees perform? Here's hoping ARod is fired for using PED's still…..
  • Will the Giants finally get off cloud 9 and return to being a middle of a pack team now that the PED user is gone?

Why are so many fans against PEDs? And Yankees reaped the benefits of those mega contracts, time to suffer from them. Signing a player until he's 43 is ridiculous.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Why are so many fans against PEDs? And Yankees reaped the benefits of those mega contracts, time to suffer from them. Signing a player until he's 43 is ridiculous.
Not sure the Yankees gained anything from A-Rod. He has been a disease since day 1.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
That 2009 Championship doesn't happen without him....

Other than that, he can suck it.
The team should have won 3 but they choked when it counted. 2001 was in the bag, still bitter over that one. 2003 if Wells didn't puke it up against the Marlins. And well 2004...

Sideonecincy

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2003
The Cincinnati Reds managed to get rid of strike out king Drew Stubbs. While Stubbs did strike out an absurd number of times, the guy owned center field. Scott Rolen isn't coming back, so Todd Frazier is going to be playing every day at 3B.

Then the most exciting & questionable news is Aroldis Chapman getting moved into the starting rotation. I'm personally not a fan of this move, but if the Reds feel this is the right move, then we will see what becomes of it.

The Reds have a great shot this year and an excellent team.

RyanTheGeneral

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009

Agreed- I'm against PEDs however I agree on the contract part. Signing anyone till that age is ridiculous

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Mets fan here.

The starting pitching looks VERY promising - a rotation of Santana, Neise Gee, Marcum and Harvey looks good on paper.

The infield is unchanged but the depth chart for the outfield is decidedly bare.

The catchers are completely different from last year but they now have the best young catcher in the majors (d'Arnaud, traded from Toronto).

Bullpen is a whole other story.

I think they'll do better than last year but I don't have my hopes high for a championship run this year but I like what Sandy Alderson has done to recover from what Omar Minaya did.

Oh yeah, and the best broadcast trio in baseball! Gary Keith and Ron return for another season in the booth with play by play and analysis.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
The Mets have always looked promising on paper. They have the talent, but manage to suck anyway. :p

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
And Yankees reaped the benefits of those mega contracts, time to suffer from them. Signing a player until he's 43 is ridiculous.

Agreed. The Yankees have more money than God and aren't afraid to use it. In the case of A-Rod, his contract has become a boat anchor.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Why are so many fans against PEDs?

Because it is cheating. I was willing to show forgiveness for ARod because he admitted to it( when caught) for a short period of time. But if these latest allegations are true, he can burn. Pettitte I can also forgive since he was also honest when caught and if his reason for using was to recover from an injury when he was on the DL, then fine as long as he wasn't using when he played. '

Bonds, ARod, Clemens, etc should never be allowed to get into the HOF.....

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
You may recall the Giants won the World Series with the PED user sitting at home watching the games on TV. All I know is he never would have made any of the critical defensive plays Gregor Blanco made during the Giants' postseason run. What a resilient ball club they were in 2012.

If Lincecum returns to his normal form and Posey doesn't break his leg again, they should be playoff bound again despite the expected heavy competition from the Dodgers. Two trophies in three years and we're still the underdog! That's what I'm used to, so no point in changing now. :D

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Nationals fan here.

I'm excited for the season. Looks like Gio's thing may go away, which will be good for the team. Pitching staff is great top to bottom and our closer's from last year will now be our long relievers.

Should be a very fun year, can't wait to get to a few games.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
The team should have won 3 but they choked when it counted. 2001 was in the bag, still bitter over that one. 2003 if Wells didn't puke it up against the Marlins. And well 2004...

2004 was fun :D:D:D

The Red Sox three ring circus started up right where it left off last year. I think they are taking a page from the NY Jets playbook. Should be interesting again.. I don't think they're good enough to make the playoffs but they should be better than last place this time.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Annnnd Granderson is out until the first week of May.:( Fractured right forearm.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Should make him cheaper after this season now that he is injury prone. :p

Seriously, this sucks. Our offense is already lacking power.....

praterkeith

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2005
Montgomery, AL

1. Toronto has a better supporting staff and front office. People love playing there. It will transfer over to the field, and their pitching is solid.
2. Nationals won't regress because they weren't a story book team like Oakland and Baltimore. Washington will win the East. Baltimore will be determined down the stretch after the AS break.
3 Yankees are old. I hope Arod is fired also.
4. Red Sox are improved but missing a few pieces.
5. Melky served a 50 game suspension and they still won it all. He made no difference. Posey is the best catcher in the game and they've got the best manager in the game. Period. People love playing for him, and that matters.

----------

Mets fan here.

The starting pitching looks VERY promising - a rotation of Santana, Neise Gee, Marcum and Harvey looks good on paper.

The infield is unchanged but the depth chart for the outfield is decidedly bare.

The catchers are completely different from last year but they now have the best young catcher in the majors (d'Arnaud, traded from Toronto).

Bullpen is a whole other story.

I think they'll do better than last year but I don't have my hopes high for a championship run this year but I like what Sandy Alderson has done to recover from what Omar Minaya did.

Oh yeah, and the best broadcast trio in baseball! Gary Keith and Ron return for another season in the booth with play by play and analysis.

I don't think Santana is coming back man. I'm a Braves fan but I'd like to see the Mets field a good team, but it ain't happening. It'll be a success to finish above the Marlins in the East.

----------

I predict another year in the gutter for the Rockies.:(

At least you're honest, but I think they got a good shot in that division.

----------

I'm a DIEHARD Braves fan, but Washington's pitching is insane. They could win 100 games this year.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Go Cardinals!

Although I'm extremely disappointed that they didn't make any big moves for a shortstop this off season. Furcal can't stay healthy, and Cedeno is just an average, run of the mill shortstop. And we have no minor league depth at that position. Kozma and Jackson? No thanks.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
For those wondering what happened to Bobby Valentine. He is the new athletic director of Sacred Heart University.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.