Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
When you're recording video of someone else you want to heard them :rolleyes:

Like replacing my iPhone I've waited so long for an iPad a few more months won't kill me, can't wait to see what they release in June.

True, but what about front camera FaceTime video chats? Hopefully placing the mic on the back will not impact clarity. On the Mini it's still on the top.

Jamo12

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Ohio
True, but what about front camera FaceTime video chats? Hopefully placing the mic on the back will not impact clarity. On the Mini it's still on the top.

Video chat works fine on my 4th gen iPod touch. Or they could pull an iMac thing and have two mics (on the top and front, so ipad could be top and back), I think the 15" MacBook has two also to help voice recognition or something.

DaffyDuck

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
So we are seeing components from their partners and it's not going to be released for another 8 months? That is way too long.

SAIRUS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Video chat works fine on my 4th gen iPod touch. Or they could pull an iMac thing and have two mics (on the top and front, so ipad could be top and back), I think the 15" MacBook has two also to help voice recognition or something.

I'd just love if they could let me do a conference call or at least let me answer my phone on my iPad and use it as a more powerful speakerphone.

Gator Bob

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2011
I'm screwed. Happily so.

i love both my mini and ipad 3 so i'll immediately buy both a retina mini and a lighter, slimmer ipad 5 ... plus two new cases.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
Nice, loving this redesign. But I'm at a crossroads right now, I'm not sure if I should continue using my iPad with keyboard at school and buy this new generation, or to ditch it completely for the upcoming Retina 11inch MBA. I really don't know what to do, I love the iPad but an MBA would seem much more practical. Decisions decisions...

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia

I'd say the new iPad could have 2 mic's like on the new iMac, to help cut down on noise?

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Ain't no way this is coming out in the fall.

Right now, Apple usually has another announcement. It's DEAD quiet. They have to have something in the pipeline for April or May.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
And super painful to hold or rest on you considering the weight...

The iPad 2-4 form factor was really a bad design in my humble opinion for exactly that reason. I would've preferred if Apple kept the iPad 1 design and made it a little thinner.

The worst thing is that they kept this flawed design on three successive generations of iPads! I guess that Jony Ive with his "large manly hands" doesn't feel any pain from holding an iPad 4 for any amount of time (or uses a case).

It's also possible that Apple realized that the design was not optimal but that the replacement form factor took longer than expected to perfect and will only appear this year in the next gen iPad.

Last edited:

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
exactly my thoughts.. Although I'm really curious to see what iOS 7 will bring

I agree. I think iOS 7 is more important than any hardware release this year. There needs to be some new, fresh features and maybe a shakeup in the look and feel of the OS.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
So we are seeing components from their partners and it's not going to be released for another 8 months? That is way too long.

It does seem odd that we are getting this many iPad 5 rumours now considering most of us had resigned ourselves to a fall release.

I hope the June release is true! No, I hope the March release is true!! haha. Surely that's not going to happen.

IF June, it means iphone 6 and ipad 5? Mmm...

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Very nice

When my wife's old TiBook met it's inevitable demise a few years ago we debated wether or not to get another MacBook or get the iPad. We decided to get the iPad, an iPad2, and have zero regrets. My (at the time) three year old even knew what it was. She wasn't even talking very well at the time but we have video of her seeing the box and exclaiming "a iPad!". I don't really ever use it since I have an early 2009 Octo for design work, but more and more I have my eyes on an iPad for sketching (the old Wacom 9x12 is feeling a little dated) and other productivity stuff, and I really like this new [iPadMini style] design. I haven't held a mini yet but I can definitely wait until they're both updated before I make a decision. Even still, I'm pretty excited!

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
I agree. I think iOS 7 is more important than any hardware release this year. There needs to be some new, fresh features and maybe a shakeup in the look and feel of the OS.

Better usage statistics and mouse support are all that seem necessary to add :confused:
If iOS 7 comes out with some totally new interface that isn't better than the old one, "don't fix something if it ain't broke", staying at iOS 6.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
I saw this coming.. The iPad mini has a superior design I think and it's no surprise Apple will use it as an improvement for the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.