Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

facebook.jpg
Facebook today updated its main iOS app, adding free VoIP calling in the United States and Canada. Facebook previously beta tested the feature in its Messenger iOS app, which received an update to allow voice calling in January.

As in the Messenger app, voice calling within Facebook for iOS can be accessed by tapping on a friend's name in the chat menu and then tapping on the info button, which reveals the option to make a free call.

Both parties must install the newest version of Facebook to activate the feature. Facebook's latest update also adds newly redesigned Like, Share, and Comment buttons.
-New button design makes it easy to like, comment and share posts in News Feed.
-Improved buttons to like, comment and share posts
-Share button to re-post stories from your News Feed now available in all languages
-Call friends for free right from Facebook (US and Canada)
-Free calling uses your existing data plan.
Facebook is a universal app that can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Facebook iOS Update Adds Free VoIP Calling in US and Canada

Xgm541

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2011
Now you can Facetime while you Facebook. And have less face to face time.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
-new button design makes it easy to like, comment and share posts in news feed.
-improved buttons to like, comment and share posts
Two features, you say...? ಠ_ಠ

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Now if I could just figure out within the app how to:

1) Add a friend/family memebr to the "Favorites" list... I mean how can it be my favorites if I can't put my favorites there?

2) Change my cover photo from within the App.

maybe both are already possible and I'm just to dumb to figure it out. But I'm much more likely to use either of those than VOIP from within Facebook.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
The new update is a major fail. Newsfeed has disappeared or is broken, deleting and reinstalling doesn't help

weing

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2007
And the list of updates I have to refuse seemingly gets longer and longer...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I experienced the complete opposite. My newsfeed loads much quicker and scrolling it is smoother. The whole app feels more smooth actually.
I've observed similar behavior on a couple of phones that installed the update today.

mikeheenan

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2007
I experienced the complete opposite. My newsfeed loads much quicker and scrolling it is smoother. The whole app feels more smooth actually.

Which OS do you have? Curious... I'm on the latest (I think).

edit: I just deleted and installed again for the third time and now the Newsfed is back. Weird.

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
Newsfeed is much quicker for me, however Chat has duplicates of friends for some reason.
It's also got my profile twice as being available for Chat ?

I've deleted and reinstalled but still the same. Not a problem as i don't really use FB too often.

Last edited:

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
This works on my iPod touch why not my ipad 2 or 3?

Functionality may not be in the iPad part of the app yet. I've notices the iPad app needs to lag a little behind sometimes. Can't prove this though as I don't live in the Americas. Just a possible reason.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Good, maybe it'll actually be useful now. Gmail doesn't give VOIP in the iOS app, does it? And Google Voice doesn't have it at all for some reason. Pretty misleading title.

The Bogeyman

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
Under your stairs
I've noticed that the old version would occasionally get stuck when it was loading some landscape photos from the newsfeed. The new version seems to have stopped that. I only had that problem on my iPad and not on the iPhone. However, it seems much smoother than it was before. This is just my personal experience with it.

Detrius

macrumors 68000
Sep 10, 2008
Apex, NC

Me too! I'm no longer waiting 20 seconds on my iPad 3 for it to respond to tapping on a picture.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Good, maybe it'll actually be useful now. Gmail doesn't give VOIP in the iOS app, does it? And Google Voice doesn't have it at all for some reason. Pretty misleading title.
Misleading title?

As for Google (Voice), Talkatone app (or other similar ones like GV Phone) can be used for VoIP calling through Google.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
And the list of updates I have to refuse seemingly gets longer and longer...

Why do you have to refuse this update? You don't have to use features you don't want to use, and it seems as there are performance increases in this update.

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Any idea if Facebook is thinking about challenging Skype on the desktop as well? iOS to iOS user is one thing, but to use it cross platform, including in Windows and OS X, would be a great challenger to Skype.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Misleading title?

As for Google (Voice), Talkatone app (or other similar ones like GV Phone) can be used for VoIP calling through Google.

Where? I went to voice.google.com, and there was no option to call a number, only SMS. My friend, an avid Google fan, told me to go there. Then he said that it's actually not there and only on gmail.com.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.