Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Google Wave revolutionized email, no one wanted it.

ChromeOS pushing thin client computing. Not a new idea, but a pretty rare one these days.

Google Now gives you what you want before you ask.

Self driving cars, theirs is by far the best out there.

Cheap gigabit internet.

Wearable computing.

Spanner, which allows Google to run world-wide servers extremely well with little downtime

The most advanced web browser. I argue this because Chrome was the first to use multi-process architectures, much like being its own operating system (which is why it has its own task manager). Safari and Firefox soon adopted that.

Wearable computing was dreamed up many years before Google existed. Same with self driving cars.

You didn't respond to leading innovation in email and calendars? Are they still sitting on their asses or is it more important to build self driving cars than changing the way we interact with email and calendars??

Renzatic

Suspended
You didn't respond to leading innovation in email and calendars? Are they still sitting on their asses or is it more important to build self driving cars than changing the way we interact with email and calendars??

I'd say more important to build the self driving cars. I mean what more can you do with calendars and email? Certainly they can be streamlined a little bit, but they're not two things that are suddenly going to change the way we live forever just because someone figured out a nicer way to do them.

Self driving cars? Imagine plopping your ass in your car, telling it to drive you to such and such address...and it goes there. Everyone on the road will be driving nice and orderly at a consistent speed. Less chances for wrecks on the interstate. Those SOBs who text and drive at the same time? They won't be SOBs anymore. If you don't understand how awesome that is, you need to expand your horizons a bit.

fosking

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
All I want is a subscription based streaming service which gives me the latest music, film and TV episodes in HD for say €30 per month.
I don't care who it's from, Apple or Google.
I would have no problem spending €360 per year for this knowing I can have what I want, when I want it. even throw in some ads in the right places wouldn't bother me.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
99% of everything that made Wave cool ended up in Google Plus. It wasn't that no one wanted it, rather there was a better place for it.

And Google Docs. Realtime collaborative editing is something Wave was good at.

The Wave experiment wasn't a complete failure! :D

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
All I want is a subscription based streaming service which gives me the latest music, film and TV episodes in HD for say €30 per month.
I don't care who it's from, Apple or Google.
I would have no problem spending €360 per year for this knowing I can have what I want, when I want it. even throw in some ads in the right places wouldn't bother me.

So, iTunes & Netflix.. (but first any service would be useless without all content available), then you can bing these in.

This is very similar to everything.... needing forced to get multiple services, to try and "fill in the missing gaps" ...

Sadly to say, there is allot of overlap, but there is no number #1 service, that is out there, that fills these gaps 100%...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So Google's in negotiations just like Apple probably is. Meanwhile I'll keep using Spotify which I happen to love. :)

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Yeap, Google has a scan and match service similar to Apple, but the biggest difference is that is FREE. Apple should at least give users 2 years of Music Match per device per account.
I have about 15K songs in my Google Music app and can hear my music from my iPhone, android tablet, mac, pc, etc for free.

15k songs....mm....with a 4 min average length, that 60k min..thats 1000 hours...or 42 days of continuous music :eek:
good for you mate :D

Bantz

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
I expect good things seeing as Google's online services are just so far ahead of everyone elses.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Google is just throwing a series of sticky ideas mixed with non-sticky ideas at a surface (like a wall) to see which ones will stick and which ones will end up sliding off the wall.

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
The most advanced web browser. I argue this because Chrome was the first to use multi-process architectures, much like being its own operating system (which is why it has its own task manager). Safari and Firefox soon adopted that.
1. It's nothing like being its own operating system.
2. Despite "multi-process architecture", I've only experienced it crashing completely, the whole browser. Never yet I've seen a single tab crash without destroying the others. So this process separation hasn't been put to good use.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
In before someone tries to say that Google is just copying Apple.

Note that they obviously can't be copying Apple (yet) because Apple hasn't actually released any such service. Were Google to roll out such a service, it would, however, be appropriate to say that they're copying others, such as Spotify, or Pandora (it's hard to say without knowing exactly what flavor of music streaming service Google wants to go with.)

They're not copying Apple! They're copying Nokia's Music+ streaming service which is MUCH better than anything Google can offer.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Looks like Google's throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

Future posters: please repeat this phrase 50 times throughout the rest of this thread to make sure everyone knows this. It can't be stated enough.

It certainly seems that way, between this, Google Glass, the Chromebook Pixel, Nexus 7 and 10. High end, low end, everything in between. That said, it can be an effective strategy. It's working for Samsung.

Google Glass has some potential, particularly since they reportedly are working with Warby Parker so that wearing the glasses doesn't make you look like you are on the cast of Star Trek TNG.

The Spotify-like service is a case of entering a crowded market to keep pace.

palmharbor

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2007
google v. iTunes

Why listen to the radio, commercial free iTunes Radio, when we could pay cash for it with Google? What a deal.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
So Google's in negotiations just like Apple probably is. Meanwhile I'll keep using Spotify which I happen to love. :)

I think most people will, even after Apple and Google release their services.

Pandora and Spotify have name recognition with the average Joe when it comes to streaming.

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
Google music as it stands works better than iTunes match

----------

That is what Google is...
Google became big by copying other search sites. I am starting to loathe Google. I'm sorry, but I just can't help it.

Loathe them all you want....they are not going anywhere

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
1. It's nothing like being its own operating system.
2. Despite "multi-process architecture", I've only experienced it crashing completely, the whole browser. Never yet I've seen a single tab crash without destroying the others. So this process separation hasn't been put to good use.

Funny - because I have had THAT issue with Safari. Constant lockups/crashes/freezes and spinning beachballs. Both firefox and chrome have, for me, always been incredibly more stable.

Wearable computing was dreamed up many years before Google existed. Same with self driving cars.

Google has changed the way we interact with email. Do you use gmail? Have you installed some of their great lab plug ins?

That aside - I find the comment funny. Just like I find the comment that iOS is stale and needs a complete redesign (or similar comments). First - there would be outrage at having to do things on an iDevice completely differently than what people are used to. Second - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. This is NOT the same as making improvements. I think the iOS Mail App is horrible. Personally. They should completely rebuilt it.

But the whole OS? It's pretty simple and easy for people to pick up and start using. And after 5-6 years, Apple has a branded "look" to their OS. Does that mean it can't or shouldn't change. No. But not because people think it's stale looking. Or they find it boring. People need an "exciting" OS? No. People need a great functioning OS with features they want/need.

Gym Hellwig

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
Google is just copying Apple.

Apple already has a "streaming service". It's called iTunes.

Riiiiight :rolleyes:

----------

Looks like Google's throwing ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

Streaming is THE future of music. Nothing else can touch it. Nothing comes remotely close. Don't blame google (or apple) at all for entering that market. To ignore it would be lunacy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.