Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Why do you need Google maps for iPad? Do you need 8-10" GPS display in your car? Plug in 40" Plasma then, and get over with it.

Or perhaps you can consider that someone has a use case different from yours and instead of being snarky - just choose to not comment?

Since Apple was paying Google major amounts of money every year for Google Maps (high eight or low nine digits), and stopped paying a penny to Google for map data since, I doubt that Google didn't know about this.

Were they? Or was it a revenue split? And are we sure Google didn't pay Apple for placement on their iOS?

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Am I the only one that actually likes Apple Maps? :p

No, you're not. I have Google Maps loaded on my iP5, and I never use it. Apple maps works flawlessly for me. I use it in my car via Siri with the built-in bluetooth on my head unit, and it works fabulously for me.

I understand that some people have had issues with it, but I have had none, both when I was in California and now that I live in Colorado.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
No, you're not. I have Google Maps loaded on my iP5, and I never use it. Apple maps works flawlessly for me. I use it in my car via Siri with the built-in bluetooth on my head unit, and it works fabulously for me.

I understand that some people have had issues with it, but I have had none, both when I was in California and now that I live in Colorado.

I used to kinda like Apple Maps, but since having Google Maps I use it almost exclusively. I didn't even make an effort to switch! The icons are just side by side, and I tap Google.

The app is in sore need of an update, though. If I type in someone's name it can't look up their address in the contacts (fail!) and it also doesn't run full screen on the iPad without a jailbreak hack.

DonutHands

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Los Angeles
I really gave Apples maps app a shot. I love google products but i figured it would just be easier to use the built in app of ios 6. Unfortunately it is really a terrible app. I live in los angeles, a place i would have thought would be throughly mapped and tested. When getting directions i am often directed miles out of my way and at times to completely incorrect locations. Then i open up the google maps app and it is spot on every damn time.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Why do you need Google maps for iPad? Do you need 8-10" GPS display in your car? Plug in 40" Plasma then, and get over with it.

The Mini is very similar to the size of navigation systems that auto makers will install, but vastly cheaper.

Tesla's screen is 17", although only half is usually used for navigation, making it about the size of a large iPad.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I used to kinda like Apple Maps, but since having Google Maps I use it almost exclusively. I didn't even make an effort to switch! The icons are just side by side, and I tap Google.

The app is in sore need of an update, though. If I type in someone's name it can't look up their address in the contacts (fail!) and it also doesn't run full screen on the iPad without a jailbreak hack.
I prefer Google's traffic data, Apple's is just silly. Added a pointer via JB so all links go to Google Maps. Without it there's a mess, some app links go to maps.google via Safari, some go to Apple Maps, etc.

Although, Google needs to update so you can leave the traffic on as a default. It resets every time the app shuts down completely, or something like that. It's my job to worry about battery, not theirs.

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
I like them too, but I live in an area where I have had no issues with Apple maps.

I do think that choices help foster competition, and competition between Google and Apple, albeit outside of the courtrooms, really will benifit the consumers the most.

Nicely put. i too haven't had any issues with it.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
Nicely put. i too haven't had any issues with it.

And I bet you live in the good old US of A as well.

Outside of the USA they are useless.

Just as an example, I just saw a post in these forums from someone from Fletcham, Surrey - as I also live in Surrey but didn't know where Fletcham was I used Apple maps to search for Fletcham.

The first time it came up with Fletcham furnishings near Wandsworth, then, when I zoomed out and searched again, it came up with lots of pins for businesses with Fletcham in the name and, judging by where they were most prolific, I gathered where Fletcham was.

I went into Google maps on my iPad and searched for Fletcham and it had one pin in Fletcham. Just what I wanted. I then went to street view to have a look o see what sort of place it was.

Needless to say, Google maps is my default maps as every time I think I will give Apple Maps another go it fails. Together with very poor quality satellite view and no street view means Apple Maps are so far behind I really can't see them being a viable alternative any time soon.

Turn by turn navigation? That's what I have CoPilot on my iPhone for, a dedicated SatNav is likely to remain streets ahead (excuse the pun) for the foreseeable future.

DragonJade

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2009
Apple Maps is absolutely horrendous for Japan. I can't wait for the next iOS upgrade with the improved maps for Japan. I miss not having full-screen Google Maps on my iPad.

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
No, you are not.
But no one comes here to say how much they like Apple maps.
On the other had you have unhappy ones that bring the "Maps" subject on any possible Apple related thread.

This thread is about Google Maps, it is you Apple Maps apologists that insist on spoons your 'Apple Maps works for me so it must work for everyone' in every Google Maps related thread.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
This thread is about Google Maps, it is you Apple Maps apologists that insist on spoons your 'Apple Maps works for me so it must work for everyone' in every Google Maps related thread.

This thread is about Google Maps in MacRumors forum which happen to be a forum about Apple discussions! Get it? You do? Good for you!

confucious

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2010
Woking, UK
This thread is about Google Maps in MacRumors forum which happen to be a forum about Apple discussions! Get it? You do? Good for you!

Where to start?

This thread is about Google Maps on Apple iOS, I really didn't think I needed to point that out, what is it you don't understand?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Where to start?

This thread is about Google Maps on Apple iOS, I really didn't think I needed to point that out, what is it you don't understand?

Yes, and since the subject is maps and OS is iOS we did not run far from subject by discussing the alternative app to Google Maps! It's obvious you don't like it which is fine but have a cup of tea or something rather then running into pointless arguments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.