Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Do people think that the fact that top end PC rigs, despite their expensiveness, can already outperform the PS4 before it is even released is something to worry about?
Or is it not that important because developers will only develop to a certain standard that is determined by the current generation of consoles. Do you think we will see this change as PC gaming has become more popular?

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Do people think that the fact that top end PC rigs, despite their expensiveness, can already outperform the PS4 before it is even released is something to worry about?
Or is it not that important because developers will only develop to a certain standard that is determined by the current generation of consoles. Do you think we will see this change as PC gaming has become more popular?

PC has always out-performed, and did when the PS3/360 launched. The difference is cost - that console will cost you £300-400, whereas the PC rig will be £1500+.

It's all about pushing the baseline. Dead Space 3 was developed as a console game, which means the PC version looks pretty poor compared to titles such as BattleField 3 which is PC-centric. Once the new consoles are here, games will be developed with a higher baseline of performance.

Interestingly, I think it might be feasible that low end PCs might hold things back. Lots of people own old or low performance PCs (see Steam survey), and pushing the baseline up could mean these people can't play new games...so developers hold back to keep their purchases.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Please no....

You're not one of those who begrudges things other people like for no reason at all?

----------

I don't think PC (as a PC gamer) has gone far beyond what current consoles can do. I've always felt PCs had the power, but consoles were the driving force behind game progression. I think now we're going to see leaps in both graphics and gameplay in all new AAA games, for all platforms.

Miharu

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Finland
Before going for the next gen of TVs (4k), they should perfect the current gen and produce native 1080p games with as high frame rate as possible. 60 fps is just so much better for the eyes, especially in games with lots of camera movement.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

No not really. Sure a 'top PC' rig will outpeform. But how many people genuinely have £1200 or more to spend on that top of the line rig ? You can't factor cost out of this - as it's such a big difference. Seriously a decent GPU will often cost far more than an entire gaming console alone.

Those kind of really of devices are just for a small niche of users, whereas consoles are far better bang for buck when initially released.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I think Sony are trying to position the PS4 as a reasonably cheap, yet relatively high quality 4K player, just as they did with standard Blu-ray and DVD before that.

When the PS3 first came out I was essentially using it as a Blu-ray player/media streamer that just so happened to also play WipEout....

:apple:

Yes, and Sony completely lost its dominance over the console gaming market as a result.

Frankly I don't see 4k being anywhere near as strong of a selling point as DVD or even Blu-Ray. So few people are going to have compatible TVs for the majority of this console's life. Assuming 4K even catches on at all.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Yes, and Sony completely lost its dominance over the console gaming market as a result.

Frankly I don't see 4k being anywhere near as strong of a selling point as DVD or even Blu-Ray. So few people are going to have compatible TVs for the majority of this console's life. Assuming 4K even catches on at all.

Why wouldn't it catch on? Like HD and 3D before it, it starts off expensive and gimmicky and then becomes a standard feature.

And actually nothing has changed in terms of market positions. Nintendo had the 2000-2005 gen wrapped up with the GBA, last gen they were top again with the Wii and DS, and this gen they've got the 3DS. It has been (total markets) Nintendo on top, Sony second (big in EU and Asia) and Microsoft third (big in US) for a long time.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Why wouldn't it catch on? Like HD and 3D before it, it starts off expensive and gimmicky and then becomes a standard feature.

And actually nothing has changed in terms of market positions. Nintendo had the 2000-2005 gen wrapped up with the GBA, last gen they were top again with the Wii and DS, and this gen they've got the 3DS. It has been (total markets) Nintendo on top, Sony second (big in EU and Asia) and Microsoft third (big in US) for a long time.

I would argue 3D is still expensive, gimmicky, and not a standard feature.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I would argue 3D is still expensive, gimmicky, and not a standard feature.

You could if you want. Or you could try and find a good brand (Sony, Samsung etc) TV above 46" that doesn't support HD, 3D and Smart features. It's standard now on mid-high end TVs.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You could if you want. Or you could try and find a good brand (Sony, Samsung etc) TV above 46" that doesn't support HD, 3D and Smart features. It's standard now on mid-high end TVs.

I just picked up a decent LG 42" 2012 model with Passive 3D / Smart & Wifi built-in and myriad other features ... Came with 4 pairs of 3D glasses and it's fantastic picture quality on all inputs.....

Was €700..... Only 18 months ago I bought a Samsung LED 46" with Active 3D and no wifi, very basic smart features and it was €1500..... Yet the LG less than half the price has a far better picture and the 3D with passive is so much more comfortable and zero crosstalk what-so-ever. It's made 3D a real pleasure......

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I just picked up a decent LG 42" 2012 model with Passive 3D / Smart & Wifi built-in and myriad other features ... Came with 4 pairs of 3D glasses and it's fantastic picture quality on all inputs.....

Was €700..... Only 18 months ago I bought a Samsung LED 46" with Active 3D and no wifi, very basic smart features and it was €1500..... Yet the LG less than half the price has a far better picture and the 3D with passive is so much more comfortable and zero crosstalk what-so-ever. It's made 3D a real pleasure......

I wish I had picked up a passive TV instead of active last year. I picked up a Bravia 55" HX853 mid-last year (Wasn't even after 3D but like I say, every decent TV has it now). Came with 2 active glasses and they get the job done but they are a bit heavy, just got myself a Sharp 70" with passive 3D; so much comfier! But the 2D performance on the Bravia is just unparalleled :).

Last edited:

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
I bought a Sony 46NX810 and still see 3d as completely gimmicky and am unwilling to wear glasses over my glasses. Sure looks fine, but I have no interest, and it actually causes me migraines.

4k? I really doubt that will happen for this new gen of consoles. It will be nice though for my 3 46" TV iRacing rig when/if it comes out.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2010
England
Has anyone pre-ordered yet?

Thinking about putting £20 down at game but not 100% confident that they will be around by the end of the year.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
Has anyone pre-ordered yet?

Thinking about putting £20 down at game but not 100% confident that they will be around by the end of the year.

I'll be getting mine from Amazon, simply because I trust them to actually deliver the goods. I got my PS3 from GAME on launch day, and to be honest, I simply don't want to queue at silly o'clock in the morning (and risk them selling the console to somebody else if I don't turn up by 10am).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.