Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
Better usage statistics and mouse support are all that seem necessary to add :confused:
If iOS 7 comes out with some totally new interface that isn't better than the old one, "don't fix something if it ain't broke", staying at iOS 6.

.. and the ability to store files in your own folders, and on that note any file you like. Most of the time I have to store video and documents in Dropbox.

The Video app is a crippled store front on iOS. It's called video yet I can't use it to play video and have to store those in Photos?

Same with documents. Even PDFs of business notes and documents have to be stored in iBooks. Moronic.

The settings app is a bloated unintuitive mess. The text cursor is imprecise and terrible to move (see the many user created alternatives that are better). Safari still fails to work with many Web sites that a regular desktop browser has no issue with, and I'm not talking Flash either. Newsstand store page has no search option (?!) ... and many other instances where it looks stale and static.

Every mobile OS offers dynamic content now yet I'm still looking at the perfect weather in California, the full date can only be seen by opening iCal (how hard would it be to add it to the top bar for consistency on each page, it's been in OSX for a decade!) and access to airplane mode, wifi etc needs to be toggled through the settings menu instead of directly from anywhere.

iOS was revolutionary when it was released 6 years ago but it's one area that Apple has left in 2007. It needs a lot of redesign and not just additional feature bloat and rebranding. They are just riding the brand name hardware wave as long as they can because people will buy it regardless of the UI design stagnation.

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2010
iOS was revolutionary when it was released 6 years ago but it's one area that Apple has left in 2007. It needs a lot of redesign and not just additional feature bloat and rebranding. They are just riding the brand name hardware wave as long as they can because people will buy it regardless of the UI design stagnation.

Very true. A lot from a UI design perspective needs cleaning up. Let's makes these smartphones SMART.

moxxey

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
...or to ditch it completely for the upcoming Retina 11inch MBA.

What upcoming retina 11 Air?!

Universal agreement is that the MBP range will become fully retina by the end of this year, but the Air's are too small and light to get retina so quickly. Battery capacity for a laptop would have to be far greater than the iPad, which would make it much heavier (and not an Air).

I'd get an iPad now. You can always trade it to someone at later date. They hold their value fairly well.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Things were so much simpler when Steve was alive - half the models - double the innovation ...

Curse you - New Apple!
Bull. Steve was CEO for about 15 years. How many different iPods and different Macs have been released under his command? I can tell you, it's a lot. ;)

Apple has never been a 'one size/model fits all company', they've always 'experimented' with different designs and form factors. Nothing new here.

----------

Very true. A lot from a UI design perspective needs cleaning up. Let's makes these smartphones SMART.
A lot of it doesn't. Cleaning up for the sake of cleaning up is never a good thing to do.

iOS is very simple and elegant yet powerful. One would be a fool to compromise this quality just because people are getting 'bored'.

Widgets, tiles, hubs, whatever: they're not better, they're different! I think the superior notification system of iOS combined with a static grid is the most powerful and elegant GUI one can imagine. Apple should be VERY cautious to make adjustments to this. Hundreds of millions people are using iPhones this way, you do not want to scare them away by making changes that aren't really better.

They do should not look into some issues (not sure which), but most of it it's fine. The GUI is fine. It looks beautiful, it works smoothly.

cflem

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Texas
When - WHEN - iOS gets widgets it will work the exact same as dashboard in OSX... Right swipe to dashboard page... Now in iOS you could have the option to make the dashboard your homepage... Both OSX and iOS using the same widgets. That's how it will go down.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
When - WHEN - iOS gets widgets it will work the exact same as dashboard in OSX... Right swipe to dashboard page... Now in iOS you could have the option to make the dashboard your homepage... Both OSX and iOS using the same widgets. That's how it will go down.

why dont you just jailbreak your phone?

----------

and iwidgets are much better

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Hope they make the screen a little bigger - say 10.1" and bring out a set of Apple branded cases so you can hold the iPad and iPad mini like a book. The leather Kindle cases from Amazon really enhance the user experience. Something similar from Apple would be nice rather than those stupid and clumsy magnetic cover things.

kobyh15

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
Better usage statistics and mouse support are all that seem necessary to add :confused:
If iOS 7 comes out with some totally new interface that isn't better than the old one, "don't fix something if it ain't broke", staying at iOS 6.

I just want Apple to build off of notification center. I'd like to be able to access wifi and Bluetooth via notification center. Or just let me add what I want to notification center. And use the iPad's extra screen space and spread the notification across more of the screen. Siri can always get better as well. That doesn't seem like too much to ask.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
What upcoming retina 11 Air?!

There was a rumor on here that the 11 air is coming in the next revision and I wouldn't be surprised. I also wouldn't be surprised if they ended up merging the MBP and MBA lines soon. But yeah you're right, iPads do hold a great resale value so I'll prob end up getting the iPad 5 anyway to replace my iPad 3.

vazquez1085

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2011
New York
I sold my 16gb wifi only with screen protector and two cases yest for $400.00 in anticipation for this next gen iPad 5..Im really hoping it drops sooner than later

rovex

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2011
I'm not sure they have anything to lose with a March release people will still flock in there millions all the more $$$.

getstuff4less

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
If you sold it in anticipation of a new iPad, why not wait until the media invites were sent out? You're going to be without iPad potentially for months.

Kevin Do

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
I love this thin and light iPad, cause the ipad 4 is too heavy for me to read for along time

horace528

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
Apple really needs more security. How could every product be leaked?
I mean not just one product, but almost all their products are leaked.
Unless Apple is doing this on purpose, it is outrageous. :eek:

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Can't wait for the thinner, lighter iPad and mini retina. I'll be selling my iPad 3 and N7 as soon as they're announced.

wgnoyes

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Good. Another case mftr setting himself to be burned with the actual RTM is completely different from what the rumor mills said.

lucasfer899

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
London
Can't wait to see what Apple has in store for iPad 5, in any case, I'll be straight on that, and my mum can have her iPad 4 back ^.^

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.