Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macdot

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Odd question, I know, but I have two computers that I use with an Apple Display. I also have a BT keyboard and trackpad that I only use when the computers are connected to the display. Is there any way (a USB dongle or something connected to the monitor) to have the keyboard/trackpad only work with whichever computer is connected to the monitor via USB? Thanks for any help.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
I own one. I wouldn't recommend. It takes like 15 seconds on the switch between, and frequently loses connection if the computer sleeps.

Just so that I understand, when the computer goes to sleep the keyboard lose connection to the other device or just to the computer? Thanks

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
The BT keyboard and trackpad connect to the computer, not the display. I'm not sure if there is something that you can connect to the display, but I don't think there is such product (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I think using a wired keyboard and mouse plugged into the display will get you what you want.

Swiss-G

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Odd question, I know, but I have two computers that I use with an Apple Display. I also have a BT keyboard and trackpad that I only use when the computers are connected to the display. Is there any way (a USB dongle or something connected to the monitor) to have the keyboard/trackpad only work with whichever computer is connected to the monitor via USB? Thanks for any help.

Not tried this myself but others have suggested pairing the BT keyboard and trackpad with both computers and simply toggle Bluetooth off on the computer you are not using and turn Bluetooth on on ther other. When you need to switch computers reverse the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.