Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yes!

I'm lucky. As a Yankees fan now living in Houston, I only face the problem when they play the Rangers. A jailbreak and location spoofer solve the problem on my phone, though.

Same thing here, in Arizona. When inter-league play causes the Yanks to play the Diamondbacks my iPhone/iPad thinks I am in some gawd-forsaken place in Wyoming. (I would appreciate not being reminded of 2001.)

Michael

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Why buy the APP? If I can watch local game video on my Iphone via Wi-Fi with a cable APP why won't MLB allow us to watch over their APP??? Just another way to get funds from the cable compaies

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
The blackout rules are very strange in a couple of places. The state of Iowa is in the blackout areas of the Cubs, White Sox, Brewers, Twins, Cardinals, and Royals. Southern Nevada (think Las Vegas) is in the blackout areas of the Athletics, Giants, Angels, Dodgers, Padres, and Diamondbacks.

In Philadelphia Comcast would block me out of not only the Phillies but the Pirates and Nationals. :rolleyes: At least this time I only have the Blue Jays to worry about as I'm in Canada (though not Toronto which makes it about as silly...)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Which is why I suggested they do what HBO and other similar services do by having you log on with your directv or cable account.

TWC and I belive Comcast have iPad apps for streaming live TV. Even though they are linked to your IP, and so can only be used in the home of a subscriber, few of the cable networks seems to be willing to provide their content this way. And any time their programming is used in another way, they expect more money. This industry is fossilized, but until their scheme for making money begins to seriously falter, they will keep to their model. Unfortunately the way sports media works only makes the situation worse.

jimsz

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2013
The most ridiculous part of MLB is that I have TRIED to buy their package for the last 3 years.

There is 1 Major league team 100 miles away (in another country) , 2 more 200 miles away, 3 more 500 miles away.

I can't watch any of their home games. None. Blacked out. 6 teams. My city has no major league team, no major league team that plays on local TV (1 is on cable) and I am blacked out of 6 home teams who's average distance is over 300 miles away.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2003
in app purchase vs auto renewal

So....only if you subscribe via in app purchase do you get the audio/video on your mac as well as your other devices? Seems strange. I was a premium subscriber last year and my subscription is set to auto renew (today I think). Will I get less features than someone who subscribes via in app purchase?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
Solution: "I live in the middle of nowhere." Blackout for local games lifted.
Does it use a Zip code or GPS to determine where you really are at? Maybe that could be faked.

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
So....only if you subscribe via in app purchase do you get the audio/video on your mac as well as your other devices? Seems strange. I was a premium subscriber last year and my subscription is set to auto renew (today I think). Will I get less features than someone who subscribes via in app purchase?

My account auto-renewed yesterday. I'm almost positive (and I tried to read through everything) that we will get all of the premium features.

Does it use a Zip code or GPS to determine where you really are at? Maybe that could be faked.

You would need a location spoofer - if you're on an iPhone, you would have to jailbreak.

doctorossi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
Hmm... $15 for the radio season, last year, was right on the line for me. At $20, this year, I think I'm gonna pass. :(

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville

IP address, apparently. An imperfect method at best, and a lock that can be picked with enough technical knowhow. Yet another tax on honesty, sadly.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
last year i used the location spoofer and ended up fooling myself, thinking it was going to be raining all week, because my weather app picked up my fake England location

sfmman2000

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2012
On portable Apple devices, MLB uses GPS location to check blackout zones, so a location spoofer is helpful.

On MLB.tv for your computer, it uses your IP address, so something like Tor combined with FoxyProxy is helpful.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
This app is completely useless as long as they continue to black out your home market. What's the point of having an app to watch baseball on your iPad if you cant watch your favorite team?

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
To those who say unlocking the iPhone isn't necessary anymore... have fun while I watch my Cardinals in St. Louis on my iPhone.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
They could very easily stream the local networks actual feed with commercials and all to those who in local markets. Problem solved.

I agree with your sentiment, but it's worth noting that it's not just local games that are blacked out. Fox has an exclusivity window (fortunately recently expired, or soon to expire) where no other games are allowed to be televised or streamed at all if they occur during Fox's featured Saturday game window. TBS has exclusive rights to some Braves' games, so you can't watch them from anywhere in the US. Etc. etc.

I do wish MLB would do as you propose - which, incidentally, is basically what they already do on the radio side. And, not so incidentally, this is why I will only buy the audio subscription from MLB.com - and it still comes with AtBat. I made the mistake of buying the video subscription once, but it will never happen again until they change these arcane blackout policies.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I used this last year and it worked great. I've got an Apple TV this year and can confirm Airplay works great with the app

Just so I'm clear - are you saying you AirPlay the games from your iPad / iPhone? That would be cool if it works...

I wonder if that app is available on jail broken Apple TVs? Not that it'd help me right now since I have an ATV 3...

oldhifi

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2013
USA
Too much for blacked out games, some of the Braves games were blocked in CO last year, and I live in TN.

STLCardsfan

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2008
Texas
Not just local blackouts - Saturday afternoons, too!

I live in the Dallas area, so watching the Cardinals is usually pain free, except when they have an afternoon game on Saturdays. FOX owns the broadcast rights to all games until the evening timeslots (I think that's around 6pmCT or so).

So, if your local FOX channel broadcasts a different game(s) in the afternoon, you are still blacked out from watching any other game (other than local team) that starts before the evening. FOX usually broadcasts an early and a late afternoon game - but our local channel only picks up the late game and puts 'Paid Program' advertising in the early slot. I guess Josh Hamilton's comment about this area not being a baseball town isn't as off base as local protestors make it. :rolleyes:

It would be nice if they lifted that restriction since there is no way in %$& you can do anything about that kind of blackout. If your local FOX channel isn't showing that game, you should not have to suffer the blackout restriction.

AMRivlin

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2006
Open letter to MLB Advanced Media

Dear Bob Bowman;

I have subscribed to MLB.TV (full season video streaming) since 2004. (I think it launched in 2003.) Your app and quality of broadcast offering is best in class, having improved annually. On the flipside your service contracts using 1988 league marketing and broadcast rights are piss poor and you know it.

If WatchESPN, CNN, HBOGO, HULU, and the Superbowl can air on phones/tvs/internet, by checking subscription status, so can MLB. I pay for a traditional cabletv package that covers the Blue Jays. Why should us fans be penalized? We won't.

I live in Vancouver, BC and can watch the Mariners 2 hours away with no blackouts, yet Toronto is blacked out because I live in Canada? Until you fix this pre1988 system, I will enjoy using a location spoof on all my devices.

Side Note: I am happy to read that FOX Saturday will no longer be blacked out nationally beginning in 2014. BUT you are still blacking out locally? Come on!

Lastly, I am happy with the 100-130 range and will continue to pay it. For those who who think your pricing is too steep, consider splitting it with your wife, or 10 friends :)

Sincerely,

MLB Super Fan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.