Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 25, 2011
I have an ATT iPhone 4S and recently began using the mobile hotspot feature for work.

I am connecting an iPad 4 via bluetooth and my macbook air via bluetooth or USB.

I found that the MBA speeds were significantly slower than while using the iPad. Even so, the iPad tethered to the 4S isn't exactly "fast". I know there are other variables involved, but in general how much better would an iPhone 5 be with mobile hotspot/tethering speeds?

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
From what I've seen AT&T LTE is 5x the speed of HSPA+. I think you can get a bit better speed from your existing 4S by using the WiFi hotspot feature to tether instead of Bluetooth.

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
With the bump in processor 5 is slightly faster but if you use LTE, yeah it would be much faster. Especially if your using Verizon's or Sprint's CDMA network for 3G connectivity

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
iPhone 4S vs 5 hotspot tethering speeds

I have a Verizon iPhone 5 and pay for the hotspot instead of using a jailbreak app. My connection constantly drops every 10-15 minutes or so then reconnects.

I noticed then when trying to download the ios betas to my computer. The download just hangs and I have to start over. Can't use my ps3 online without getting disconnected every little bit too.

Has anyone else noticed this? The hotspot is incredibly inconsistent vs an android hotspot. Not sure what's up with it but I have gone through 3 phones and all do this.

Too answer the topic though, lte is mind blowing. Much faster than what the 4S can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.