Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
What is a better option in today's economy?

Trade or Degree?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
What's up with all these QR codes here lately? Super secret society messaging system?

As for the question: is both, as long as you're doin' it smart? possible?

skippymac

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Hampshire, UK
What is a better option in today's economy?

Trade or Degree?

IMO totally depends on what you want to do. Spending years learning the theory behind building a house isn't going to help you build one well. On the other hand there's no point getting a job say coding if you don't know anything about computers/programming languages.

Now of course there's some jobs that overlap, and an argument could be made that both learning and experience will help you in either job but generally speaking one has more value than another. YMMV :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
OP, Also, if you're looking at it from a monetary perspective it just depends. You can make a lot by having skills in either. What the big factor is, is hard work. I know people who have degrees and make very little. I know people who have trade skills and make little. But I also know people who have one or the other and make a killing. The ones who make the most put the most into it.

Personally, I have decided to put some hard work into my career but most into my family. I don't make a ton but my family life is doing wonderfully. Very few make a ton at work and have a good family life. Not an easy balance.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
... Spending years learning the theory behind building a house isn't going to help you build one well. ...

Oh, those are true words! I learned to imagine incredible houses, yet, I will never ever earn enough money by that to pay others do build one for me (and you are right, I could never build it with my own hands in the first place). I guess you can't have it all. >sigh<

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
I know this isn't what you're looking for, but it depends on your situation.

My personal belief is that EVERYONE is entitled to a college education, but it is not the right CHOICE for everyone. Unfortunately, today's society has told everyone that they should go to college. This results in unprepared students who go to college for a year or two and leave with debt and no degree.

Consider your options for associates degrees or technical certificates as you've mentioned. For some, that's definitely the answer.

If you were to survey a group of people, I'd bet you'd get some answers that some of the group wishes they hadn't spend the time and money on a college education.

You should always TRY to choose a path in life that makes you happy. Unfortunately, that doesn't always lead to a productive degree field in which you'd enter. But since society tells young people that they MUST go to college, they go. They major in general studies or the like. They have debt and a degree worth nothing.

Don't put yourself in that situation.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
Would it be a bad idea to pursue a degree then start a trade after your degree? Or would it be best to drop out with 2 years of credits, take on a trade and if I don't like it continue school later on.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Would it be a bad idea to pursue a degree then start a trade after your degree? Or would it be best to drop out with 2 years of credits, take on a trade and if I don't like it continue school later on.
You should of thought about that before spending money on school.

I don't know what good any education would do for you as you always ask us what to do with your life anyways.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Quick question. How do I learn to network effectively?
Don't be afraid to talk to people and ask questions. If working with them get to know them. Ask about their personal life, kids, married, where they're from, to establish anything you have in common. You'll be surprised and continue to ask them how they're family is doing whenever you see them (don't over do it). People like that sort of attention, especially if someone has been sick.

Those are just a few but that's the sort of thinking you should have. The difference between good networking and bad is being genuine about it. People can tell when you don't really care.

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I work in local government and both paths can lead to success. I've seen people rise up from the ranks (e.g., apprentice millwrights) and become leaders in the organization and I've seen people come out of school with degrees and do the same thing. The degree'd folks do tend to get there quicker.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I work in local government and both paths can lead to success. I've seen people rise up from the ranks (e.g., apprentice millwrights) and become leaders in the organization and I've seen people come out of school with degrees and do the same thing. The degree'd folks do tend to get there quicker.

Agreed.

And I have seen people (say in the police, or in local government) start off in the ranks, get a degree at night (I've taught a lot of people in these situations), who then proceed to seek promotion within the organisation as they then have both the practical experience and a further professional qualification (along with the confidence & knowledge) a combination of both can give you.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Don't be afraid to talk to people and ask questions. If working with them get to know them. Ask about their personal life, kids, married, where they're from, to establish anything you have in common. You'll be surprised and continue to ask them how they're family is doing whenever you see them (don't over do it). People like that sort of attention, especially if someone has been sick.

Those are just a few but that's the sort of thinking you should have. The difference between good networking and bad is being genuine about it. People can tell when you don't really care.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.