Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rekras

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2001
NJ
http://www.apple.com/myths/

god bless jobs, he first puts out the new imac (a beautiful hunk of computer that PC users drool over), now he finishes them with this !!!! It can’t be denied that Microsoft has made a good business out of copying the innovative Mac OS. And, truth be told, Windows XP is their best effort to date. But Mac OS X has sent them back to the drawing boards".
GOD I LOVE APPLE:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
It can’t be denied that Microsoft has made a good business out of copying the innovative Mac OS.

That's a rather brash statement. What a saucy thing for Apple to say. I like it

cplmd

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2001
Louisiana
Where have I seen this before......?

Kinda reminds me of the "Linux Myths" pages that Microsoft publishes on their web site.

It's actually nice to see Apple kick a lil sand in ol' Bill's eye - but don't get too smug Apple workers - Microsoft has bought some big names in the computer science / user interface research areas and $1 billion will buy them some innovation - don't let the reality distortion field blind you - give us a decent MAC handheld and something to get that home network under control.:rolleyes:

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
Kick some M$ @$$

Go Apple!

Show M$ who's boss.

That page should be required reading for all computer users everywhere. There should be a law that keeps PC companies from using unfair and false propaganda to promote their products. M$ and intel would be screwed :D

Phaedrus

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2002
Ohio
Quote from cplmd:

"It's actually nice to see Apple kick a lil sand in ol' Bill's eye - but don't get too smug Apple workers - Microsoft has bought some big names in the computer science / user interface research areas and $1 billion will buy them some innovation - don't let the reality distortion field blind you - give us a decent MAC handheld and something to get that home network under control."

Take heed, and viva la mac!

agreenster

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2001
Mac OS vs WinOS

Apple actually went to court with Microsoft over this issue years ago. Apple claimed that Windows was an indirect copy of Apple's OS.

Anyway, the judge finally ruled that Microsoft didnt steal the OS from Apple, but Xerox, who was using a 'window' driven GUI (instead of code) for their printing systems, along with a mouse. Apple had actually done a bit of research with Xerox as well, and the judge ruled that BOTH of them really didnt innovate the GUI. Xerox never went to court with either of them.

However, Apple WAS the first DESKTOP computer company to popularize the GUI, and Microsoft just played catch-up for the first couple years. I think that is why Apple reps. claim they came up with it first. They didnt actually 'invent' the GUI, they just made it practical and useful to the masses.

To use an analogy, Xerox 'discovered' fire, so Apple built the fireplace.

SO, no. Microsoft didnt REALLY steal the idea from Apple. Apple visualized desktop/home computing using Xerox's GUI idea, and Microsoft just jumped on the new bandwagon after Apple did. Now, however, if you ever hear people talk, it was Microsoft who innovated this entire thing, when really they were the last ones to do it. Kinda like hearing Al Gore say he invented the internet.......

I still think, however, that Apple always did, and continues to produce the easiest, cleanest, and certainly best-looking OS out there. Now, its a bit more powerful with Unix under the hood, but some hard core programmers would still tell you that their Unix still has a long way to go. I just want OSX to go FASTER.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
haha

Steve has been a little fire cracker lately. The Adobe comments at MWSF... now this! Didnt he make some Comment to TIME after they let the iMac slip?

Thats great that Apple is being a little agressive about this sort of thing :)

U

Unregistered

I think it should go like this:

5. Myth: Windows has caught up with the Mac.
Fact: Windows is ****.

H

Have Some Aphex Acid

Originally posted by Unregistered
I think it should go like this:

5. Myth: Windows has caught up with the Mac.
Fact: Windows is ****.

that made me LOL.

U

Unregistered

Apple's webpage is great. I just began a new job this week and my manager asked me to assemble a technology wish list (and I've worked with him before, he actually takes my advice seriously.) The first item on my list was switching all of our departments computers (currently crap Compaq notebooks on Win2K) to Titanium PowerBooks running OS-X. I'm going to e-mail the Myths link to my boss as a pre-emptive strike against the IT department's objections.

U

Unregistered

Not quite

Originally posted by agreenster
(...)Anyway, the judge finally ruled that Microsoft didnt steal the OS from Apple, but Xerox, who was using a 'window' driven GUI (instead of code) for their printing systems, along with a mouse. Apple had actually done a bit of research with Xerox as well, and the judge ruled that BOTH of them really didnt innovate the GUI. Xerox never went to court with either of them.

However, Apple WAS the first DESKTOP computer company to popularize the GUI, and Microsoft just played catch-up for the first couple years. I think that is why Apple reps. claim they came up with it first. They didnt actually 'invent' the GUI, they just made it practical and useful to the masses.

To use an analogy, Xerox 'discovered' fire, so Apple built the fireplace. (...)

Apple SAW a GUI at XEROX, and Jobs had his vision: All computers will in time use a graphical user interface. No one at Apple had any idea how the XEROX machine worked. They had to invent a GUI based OS all by them self. Microsoft on the other hand, not only saw what both XEROX and Apple was doing, they got the see much of the source code for Mac OS! (They were supposed to write apps for the Mac, and had to know how it worked)

So, Apple may have gotten the idea from XEROX, but about everything from menus, point-and-click, folders and so on, WERE APPLES INVENTIONS!!! If you set up a XEROX, a Mac Plus and a 386 running Win 3.11, and then compare the OSes and how they function, the XEROX will look like an alien OS, while the 386 will look strinkingly similar to the Mac (although much more ugly)...

And so, back to the topic...
It's great that Apple puts up a page like this. Really cool! Now we Mac pepole can do your part, by sniking in to our boss' office and set this page as the default homepage on his (or hers) Windoze box!

crassusad44

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2001
Scandinavia
Not quite

Originally posted by agreenster
(...)Anyway, the judge finally ruled that Microsoft didnt steal the OS from Apple, but Xerox, who was using a 'window' driven GUI (instead of code) for their printing systems, along with a mouse. Apple had actually done a bit of research with Xerox as well, and the judge ruled that BOTH of them really didnt innovate the GUI. Xerox never went to court with either of them.

To use an analogy, Xerox 'discovered' fire, so Apple built the fireplace. (...)

Apple SAW a GUI at XEROX, and Jobs had his vision: All computers will in time use a graphical user interface. No one at Apple had any idea how the XEROX machine worked. They had to invent a GUI based OS all by them self. Microsoft on the other hand, not only saw what both XEROX and Apple was doing, they got the see much of the source code for Mac OS! (They were supposed to write apps for the Mac, and had to know how it worked)

So, Apple may have gotten the idea from XEROX, but about everything from menus, point-and-click, folders and so on, WERE APPLES INVENTIONS!!! If you set up a XEROX, a Mac Plus and a 386 running Win 3.11, and then compare the OSes and how they function, the XEROX will look like an alien OS, while the 386 will look strinkingly similar to the Mac (although much more ugly)...

And so, back to the topic...
It's great that Apple puts up a page like this. Really cool! Now we Mac pepole can do your part, by sniking in to our boss' office and set this page as the default homepage on his (or hers) Windoze box!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Re: Not quite

Originally posted by crassusad44
Now we Mac pepole can do your part, by sniking in to our boss' office and set this page as the default homepage on his (or hers) Windoze box!

Excellent idea!! Oh, wait... both my bosses use Macs... :rolleyes: :p ;)

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
Anyone have the link for the "Linux Myths" site? I'm up for a laugh and reading about how WinNT is more secure then Linux seems like the perfect joke.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.