Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Hi all. I have recently purchased dual monitors for my MM set up. 24" Phillips Moda's.

The main monitor is run off thunderbolt to hdmi, the second hdmi to hdmi.

The second monitor is ok but the main one seems to have a yellowish tint.

What i mean is, if i open Safari and drag the page to the second monitor and stop between screens the main side is yellowish and the second monitor side is pure white.

There are loads of settings on the Moda and have tried to adjust them but the picture is still not as clear as the second monitor.

I have swapped the connections so i dont think it has anything to do with them.

Im just wondering if this is a common thing with dual monitor set up with the MM before i return the monitor as faulty.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
It seems that there are some issues with using HDMI on some MacMinis with some monitors.
There was an update to fix some problems with HDMI, so make sure you've installed all the Apple Software Updates.

However, if you've switched the connections/monitors, and the same monitor has the yellow tint when connected to the Thunderbolt port, then that does suggest a problem with the monitor, not the Mini.

My advice is to use DVI, with a suitable adaptor, if your monitor has that socket. Otherwise, take it back.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
It seems that there are some issues with using HDMI on some MacMinis with some monitors.
There was an update to fix some problems with HDMI, so make sure you've installed all the Apple Software Updates.

However, if you've switched the connections/monitors, and the same monitor has the yellow tint when connected to the Thunderbolt port, then that does suggest a problem with the monitor, not the Mini.

My advice is to use DVI, with a suitable adaptor, if your monitor has that socket. Otherwise, take it back.

Thanks for the quick reply.

All up dates have been done and the monitors have DVI as well as HDMI so ill give that a shot before i return the monitor.

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I am starting to wonder if this is a "normal" characteristic of the differences in the interfaces...

I have a 2010 Mac mini, and had two 24" Dell Ultrasharp monitors and also noticed this in OS X and in Windows. It was not substantial and I am not into photography or video editing where I could image it would be a make or break situation, but I just wonder if it is because of the interface technology?

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
I am starting to wonder if this is a "normal" characteristic of the differences in the interfaces...

I have a 2010 Mac mini, and had two 24" Dell Ultrasharp monitors and also noticed this in OS X and in Windows. It was not substantial and I am not into photography or video editing where I could image it would be a make or break situation, but I just wonder if it is because of the interface technology?

I think this time around its the monitor as i have swapped the connections and its exactly the same.

I have just applied a dual screen wallpaper and the difference in the picture on both sides is very noticeable.

Looks like i'll be returning the monitor.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"I think this time around its the monitor as i have swapped the connections and its exactly the same.
I have just applied a dual screen wallpaper and the difference in the picture on both sides is very noticeable.
Looks like i'll be returning the monitor."

Have you tried calibrating the "yellow tint" monitor using the "Color" panel of the Displays preference pane?

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
"I think this time around its the monitor as i have swapped the connections and its exactly the same.
Looks like i'll be returning the monitor."

Have you tried calibrating the "yellow tint" monitor using the "Color" panel of the Displays preference pane?

Yes. Ive tried everything.

Theoretically it shouldn't need calibrating as they are identical monitors connected to the same system (albeit different connections).

I have a new one coming on tuesday so i'll wait and see then. if theres no difference then i'll know that its just the way the MM acts using dual monitors.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
if theres no difference then i'll know that its just the way the MM acts using dual monitors.
.... using HDMI.

I have two identical monitors using DVI and there is no colour difference at all. If you tried using DVI and got different results, then either it's the monitor, or something very screwy is going on.

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
.... using HDMI.

I have two identical monitors using DVI and there is no colour difference at all. If you tried using DVI and got different results, then either it's the monitor, or something very screwy is going on.

I take it your using DVI on one and HDMI on the other or are you using a splitter?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
I take it your using DVI on one and HDMI on the other or are you using a splitter?
No. HDMI to DVI adaptor on one; MiniDisplayPort (Thunderbolt) to DVI adaptor on the other.
The first adaptor comes with the Mini; the second is available from the Apple Store.

Last edited:

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Ok. So the new monitor has arrived and still no difference.

Had Apple on the phone last night and they cant figure it out either. Their only suggestion is to take it into Apple and let them have a look at it just incase one of the connectors are faulty. (Only problem with that is i have just added my own SSD and dont really want to take everything apart again. Still unsure if this voids the warranty as Apple are not specific about this).

If for instance i bought a HDMI splitter and ran both monitors from one port would this expand the monitor or would both monitors display the same image.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 338
Last edited:

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
If for instance i bought a HDMI splitter and ran both monitors from one port would this expand the monitor or would both monitors display the same image.
Buy the Apple MiniDisplayPort to DVI adaptor, and use that from the Thunderbolt port. Use the HDMI to DVI adaptor that comes with the Mini.

There do seem to be issues with HDMI. Unless you're actually hooking your Mini up to a TV, I wouldn't use it. (It reminds of the days when computers had a UHF output so you could plug them into your TV...!)

Designed4Mac

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
I Wish I Knew
Buy the Apple MiniDisplayPort to DVI adaptor, and use that from the Thunderbolt port. Use the HDMI to DVI adaptor that comes with the Mini.

There do seem to be issues with HDMI. Unless you're actually hooking your Mini up to a TV, I wouldn't use it. (It reminds of the days when computers had a UHF output so you could plug them into your TV...!)

Only one problem. i have 2xHDMI and 1xVGA on each monitor. Would this still work if i had hdmi to dvi with a dvi to vga lead on the end of it and a minidisplayport to vga on the other?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
the monitors have DVI as well as HDMI so ill give that a shot
So you don't have DVI?

Well, VGA is an old standard from back in the day, and I'm not sure it's the best option for modern digital monitors. You can buy direct adaptors to VGA, but if you don't have DVI ports on your monitors, then I would stick with HDMI and persevere with fixing this problem.
I'm not sure how to proceed, however.

You could test new a user account, to rule out any user prefs or settings that are causing the issue. Otherwise, persist with Apple. You've successfully shown it's not the monitor.

But you've definitely installed this:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1616

Last edited:

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
Fixed my problem thanks.

True, I just experienced this with a crappy / cheapy AOC monitor. Worked fine on my MBA but not as a second monitor attached via TB on my mini (mid 2012). As the smart poster suggested I now have the cheapy AOC going from the HDMI out of the mini and my better VP2365eb Viewsonic on the end of the thunderbolt chain. Problem solved. Just need to then tell OS X that you want to make the TB connected monitor your main one and you're set.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I had the EXACT same problem with my dual LG LED monitor setup and a Mac Mini late 2013. Tried everything! I swapped monitors so that they were hooked up to the opposite cable and yet the problem persisted! It's unexplainable and mind boggling.

I even noted a similar problem using a Windows 8 PC. It seems that these computers do not output equal signals to both monitors. It's extremely annoying but I have found no solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.