Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
If I understand shares even remotely correctly then one share of AAPL would cost me $448 (current number)?? Who has that kind of money to buy one or two of those let alone possibly hundreds?? I know I don't. Could Apple do anything to make the share cheaper for someone like the average joe to buy?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
What is the difference buy one for $448 or 10 for $44.8 ? Of course you could buy just 5, but why ?

Yes, sometimes companies split shares to get smaller values each share but it don't make it cheaper.

A $44.8 share would not reach $700 in near future (only if the iWatch will be the next killer ;) )

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Yes, sometimes companies split shares to get smaller values each share but it don't make it cheaper.

Sure it generally doesn't decrease the cost of buying a fixed portion of Apple, but since most brokerage houses prefer to deal with blocks of 100 shares of stock it makes buying a block cheaper and also lowers the typical fees, etc.. of doing so.

It does make the stock more volatile/fluid though.

B

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
It was $700 pretty recently. People who bought years ago when it was much cheaper are banking now. That's the way it works :)

Yeah. Wish I could have bought them years ago but I was too young at the time. Would be nice to have that money now. I could really use it.

silentownage001

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
NJ
I know I don't. Could Apple do anything to make the share cheaper for someone like the average joe to buy?

I highly doubt they care if you can buy it or not. There are people and institutions that can buy the stock. Look at Google just a tad bit below $800 right now.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
If I understand shares even remotely correctly then one share of AAPL would cost me $448 (current number)?? Who has that kind of money to buy one or two of those let alone possibly hundreds?? I know I don't. Could Apple do anything to make the share cheaper for someone like the average joe to buy?

You don't really understand stocks, do you?

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
You should have bought when it was $2 a share...

Wish I could have. I'd probably have lots of money right now.

----------

I highly doubt they care if you can buy it or not. There are people and institutions that can buy the stock. Look at Google just a tad bit below $800 right now.

Of course they don't care. As long as they keep getting richer and we keep getting poorer that's all that matters to them or any other company.

----------

Like I said

And that means what??

----------

You don't really understand stocks, do you?

Clearly not but thanks for helping me understand. I totally get it now. (sarcasm intended).

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Of course they don't care. As long as they keep getting richer and we keep getting poorer that's all that matters to them or any other company ......
No, just like you, they only care about getting richer, it doesn't make any sense (business or otherwise) to care about others getting poorer :rolleyes:.

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Wish I could have. I'd probably have lots of money right now.

Well, you'd only have been 2 years of age at the time.

Of course they don't care. As long as they keep getting richer and we keep getting poorer that's all that matters to them or any other company.

Your getting poorer is not their fault.

And that means what??

That at 30 years of age you are likely too young to buy many shares on your own.

Clearly not but thanks for helping me understand. I totally get it now. (sarcasm intended).

Ah yes, the mature wit of sarcasm. That will help your financial situation.

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
No, just like you, they only care about getting richer, it doesn't make any sense (business or otherwise) to care about others getting poorer :rolleyes:.

I don't care about getting rich. But being a bit more financially comfortable would be nice. .... Are you saying we shouldn't care about those who are poor?? How nice of you. That kind of thinking is part of why the USA is in such bad shape right now.

----------

Ah yes, the mature wit of sarcasm. That will help your financial situation.

Clearly you still don't know how to explain things. If I don't know anything about stocks then how about you explain it a bit.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
I don't care about getting rich. But being a bit more financially comfortable would be nice. .... Are you saying we shouldn't care about those who are poor?? How nice of you. That kind of thinking is part of why the USA is in such bad shape right now.....
Rich is a relative term and you ARE caring about getting richer, otherwise why post about buying stock?

Your question is even more obtuse: I never said anything other than it is in no one' s interest, business or otherwise, to care about making others POORER. :cool:

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I remember back before all the iPhone business, I recall it was about $25 a share and I knew that was time to buy in ;)

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Clearly I've started a pointless argument and clearly no one here knows how stocks work cause no one has answered that for me. Guess I'll have to slum it through Google.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010
Clearly I've started a pointless argument and clearly no one here knows how stocks work cause no one has answered that for me. Guess I'll have to slum it through Google.

The second reply clearly answered your question. :)

Another option: while you are googling, look for a Mutual Fund that is heavily invested in AAPL.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Another option: while you are googling, look for a Mutual Fund that is heavily invested in AAPL.

This. If you don't already know how stocks work and already have a diversified portfolio, shares of stock in individual companies probably aren't for you.

Rule #1 of investing in stock: Invest only what you can afford to lose. (a.k.a. Investing is risk.)

e.g. those who bought shares at $700/share may be looking at $350/share soon and the value of their holdings is thus halved. Sure maybe it'll end up > $700 at some time later, but maybe it won't.

You can minimize that risk by buying funds that buy multiple stocks.

B

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
This. If you don't already know how stocks work and already have a diversified portfolio, shares of stock in individual companies probably aren't for you.

Rule #1 of investing in stock: Invest only what you can afford to lose. (a.k.a. Investing is risk.)

e.g. those who bought shares at $700/share may be looking at $350/share soon and the value of their holdings is thus halved. Sure maybe it'll end up > $700 at some time later, but maybe it won't.

You can minimize that risk by buying funds that buy multiple stocks.

B

Well I don't have a portfolio. I've never bought stocks, bonds, mutual funds etc. of any kind.

Also didn't Apple split their stock before and now it's climbed back up again??

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Well I don't have a portfolio. I've never bought stocks, bonds, mutual funds etc. of any kind.

So what make you think you should start with AAPL now? If you're fretting about the price of a single share, you clearly can't afford the risk of losing it all in a stock market "correction".

Also didn't Apple split their stock before and now it's climbed back up again??

AAPL's splits took place on 02/28/2005, 06/21/2000, 06/16/1987, but so what? Today's AAPL isn't what it was in 2005, 2000 or 1987.

Why would they split? They have tons of cash so no need to issue more shares, ...

B

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010

I wouldn't go to a financial site to get a smart phone recommendation :).

That said, a quick google of Mutual/ ETF shows probably the highest percentage of AAPL is Powershares "QQQQ that tracks the NASDAQ 100 index and holds a 21% stake in the tech stock". QQQQ last quote $67.14.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/schifrin/2012/03/05/5-vanguard-etfs-juiced-up-with-apples-stock/

Ticker now QQQ and AAPL holdings 13.4% .......

http://www.invescopowershares.com/products/holdings.aspx?ticker=qqq

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.