Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Hi,

Just got a brand new Macbook Air 13inch i7 and this is current stats from BatteryHealth

dNWzCE0.png

Is there something up here? Load cycles is 1 yet current capacity is 97%

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there something up here? Load cycles is 1 yet current capacity is 97%
It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Okay thanks. Just a quick question when I got the laptop it was on 97% battery and I just used it from then on. Could that be why it is 97%?

How would I go about getting it to 100%?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Okay thanks. Just a quick question when I got the laptop it was on 97% battery and I just used it from then on. Could that be why it is 97%?
No, that had nothing to do with it. Some batteries show over 100% when new, some less. It's only an estimate, after all, and will fluctuate up and down over time.
You don't. While it will fluctuate over time, the general direction is down, as all batteries deplete and die over time. Just use your Mac and don't obsess on the battery readings.

Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug any time you need to, regardless of the charged percentage, and you never need to completely drain your battery. Just make sure you don't run on AC power exclusively, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy.

Geoff.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Okay. Is there a certain stage when I can become concerned? It's dropped now to 94%.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

It is like that on purpose to prevent overcharging. Unless you run it down below 90% or so, it will hover around the 90s. Unplug it and use it today until it gets down well below 90, then plug it back in. I bet you will see it get closer to 100 then.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Batteries are not exact science (ask Boeing). Live happy and dunn worry about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.