Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
The first games to be streamed on MLB.tv will be played tomorrow, but on the Apple TV, you can't advance past the final game of the 2012 World Series. Also, the Houston Astros logo has yet to be updated. I wonder if we'll see an update at some point, or if these issues can be corrected without updating the software. I wouldn't mind seeing some new features, either.

catskinsox

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
The first games to be streamed on MLB.tv will be played tomorrow, but on the Apple TV, you can't advance past the final game of the 2012 World Series. Also, the Houston Astros logo has yet to be updated. I wonder if we'll see an update at some point, or if these issues can be corrected without updating the software. I wouldn't mind seeing some new features, either.

Also wondering this. I just subscribed on the Apple TV, hoping that tomorrows games will be there. Plus, I linked my account to my MLB.com account, but my MLB account is not showing that I have a subscription to MLB.TV. I filled out the customer service form asking about both my account issues and the lack of updated games for Spring Training 2013. I'll post here if I hear anything back.

ohio.emt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Ohio
I think the app can be updated with out an update for the Apple TV. Channels have shown up without updates before like the iTunes music festival channel. Hopefully this is the case with MLB.tv also.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
Hopefully they're going to update it soon, because the first game to be broadcast on MLB.tv is just four hours away, and it's still not showing anything past game 4 of the 2012 World Series.

catskinsox

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2006
Still no update for me on the Apple TV. Good news, I CAN watch on MLB.com and on MLB At Bat 13. I'm currently Airplaying the Astros game to the Apple TV from the iPhone.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
I called in, they said itll be ready by the start of the official season but you can watch spring training on ios or on a desktop.

machpost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
I called in, they said itll be ready by the start of the official season but you can watch spring training on ios or on a desktop.

What a load of ****. We pay a hefty annual subscription fee for the ability to watch these games on the Apple TV. Spring Training games were available last spring. What's the holdup?

noitamroftuo

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
What a load of ****. We pay a hefty annual subscription fee for the ability to watch these games on the Apple TV. Spring Training games were available last spring. What's the holdup?

i just registered to agree with this. i am a little upset

machpost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
My guess is that an update is required for the app to support the 2013 season, and MLB missed out on having it ready for the most recent Apple TV update.

WinBig

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
Disappointed

I have been having the same problem the last two days. The only reason I purchased MLBTV premium was to watch it on my Apple TV. I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and if the Apple TV update won't be coming out in the next few days, I'm going to call MLB and cancel my subscription...expecting a refund. I'll renew when the update is available. Very disappointed.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
This happened last year too, I missed part of spring training games and then when some finally showed up I was only able to select a few, many others were greyed out (not geo blocked I am outside of the USA). IIRC it was fixed late in the spring training season.

Dchaney80

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2013
So much for that selling point of "over 200 spring training games" maybe apple can get their **** together and update this pos if this is updated on my roku box I'm ****canning this apple box

WinBig

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
following up

I just opened an Apple Support Ticket and asked them to call me. I will let you all know what comes of this...

WinBig

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
talked to Apple Support

I just talked to customer support and he said this was most likely happening because an Apple TV update is needed, as we had already known. He highly suggested we all go to Apple.com/feedback and let them know we are having this problem. He said the more people complain, the higher the priority it will probably be made.

This is what I posted at Apple.com/feedback for Apple TV:

"I'm unable to use MLB TV 2013 on my Apple TV. The MLB TV icon in Apple TV still reverts back to 2012 although I have renewed my MLB TV subscription for 2013. I just talked to customer support and he said this was most likely happening because an Apple TV update is needed.
There is a lot of talk about this on MacRumors forum.
Please address as soon as possible. I pay a lot of money for MLB TV subscription, and primarily bought it for use on my Apple TV."

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
For what it's worth, I have the same problem with my Panasonic TV. It has an MLB.TV app, and it's not showing any 2013 spring training games either. The last game available is the last 2012 World Series game.

WinBig

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2013
This doesn't only fall on the Apple, or Panasonic for that matter. MLB TV should not be advertising that it can be used on AppleTV or Panasonic TV, when in fact, it actually can't.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
This is the same issue that happens on Roku every year. MLB never updates the app until right before the season. This is nothing new.

badger80

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
I've had an MLB.TV subscription for a couple years and it's usually 1-2 weeks into spring training before the app is updated for he Apple TV. I'd be surprised if we have to wait much longer.

Lefty516

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Try AirPlay if you can

I have been an MLB.tv subscriber for going on my third year now. I have the same issue as everybody else. If you have an iPad a workaround is to get the iOS at bat app and then AirPlay the video to your Apple TV. I agree it is lame they didn't get the app updated in time. My guess is they figure most people with Apple Tv's have either macs or iPads.

Another option I haven't tried yet is to AirPlay from my iMac.

Another nice thing about AirPlay from the iPad is that you can multitask while watching the video on the Apple TV. I am browsing the web and typed this on the iPad as I watched Cole Hamels strike out Justin Heyward! Go Phillies!

Beachguy

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2011
Florida, USA
I''ve had the problem on my Apple TV as well. Luckily, I also have a Roku and it IS up to date. Listening to a game now, watched one a few days ago.

Lbuffo

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
I don't remember this happening last year. We purchased our Apple TV in January 2012 hooked it up and we were able to watch all of the spring training games. When oh when is MLB going to update this app?

machpost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
Washington, DC
Hooray! Looks like there have been a few enhancements, like the ability to listen to Gameday Audio on the Apple TV this season. Hopefully the live video/audio quality has been enhanced, as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.