Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
USA
I thought only USB 2.0 adapters were garbage.

USB 3.0 adapters aren't any better?

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
If I could only find a hard drive with two TB ports for under 300.

Don't need the drive to have the TB ports.

eSATA adapter $199

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10574

If already have a quad interface drive ( eSATA , FW800/400, usb 2.0 ) then done for a $100 less than $300.

Otherwise just need a drive with an eSATA port for about $100.

If already have a drive then $99 enclosure

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ME3QHKIT0GB/

and done. $300 (before taxes/shipping )

----------

This is a big problem right now. I had to spend a fortune on dual TB enclosures to be able to get extra ports. I needed to be able to house 5 drives via TB.

Likewise, somewhat wrongheaded constrictions. What really looking for is a 5+ enclosure with SATA connections.

If find box and that worry about how to connect the SATA box to TB there are more options.

What is missing is empty, multibay enclosures that don't weave an relatively expensive RAID controller ( and functionality) into the system. Basically something that is just a JBOD box. Those boxes exist though. They just typically have SAS or eSATA connectors on them.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I would have much preferred if they had kept the FW port (At least one, the Mini still has one.) and maybe a few extra USB ports. Without DVD built in it's like you're down 2 ports. So 6x USB3 would have been a good start, it's not like they don't have the room back there. HDMI would be a nice touch also, again the Mini has one.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Don't need the drive to have the TB ports.

eSATA adapter $199

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10574

If already have a quad interface drive ( eSATA , FW800/400, usb 2.0 ) then done for a $100 less than $300.

Otherwise just need a drive with an eSATA port for about $100.

If already have a drive then $99 enclosure

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ME3QHKIT0GB/

and done. $300 (before taxes/shipping )

----------

Likewise, somewhat wrongheaded constrictions. What really looking for is a 5+ enclosure with SATA connections.

If find box and that worry about how to connect the SATA box to TB there are more options.

What is missing is empty, multibay enclosures that don't weave an relatively expensive RAID controller ( and functionality) into the system. Basically something that is just a JBOD box. Those boxes exist though. They just typically have SAS or eSATA connectors on them.

Unfortunately it is only 4 disks (and 2.5" size), but the Promise Technology "Pegasus J4" is configured like that (a pair of them will give you 8 drives to play with). Each drive appears to OS X separately.

I have mine configured with 4ea. HGST 1TB 7200rpm disks currently configured as 2 RAID-0 arrays, each one 2TB in size and transfer rates of 255MB/sec. If I set it up as a 4 drive RAID-0, I get transfer rates of >500MB/s. All configuration is done in OS X with Disk Utility, not a imbedded RAID hardware controller.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I would have much preferred if they had kept the FW port (At least one, the Mini still has one.) and maybe a few extra USB ports. Without DVD built in it's like you're down 2 ports. So 6x USB3 would have been a good start, it's not like they don't have the room back there. HDMI would be a nice touch also, again the Mini has one.

I love the fact that Apple is bold enough to get rid of legacy crap. Sometimes it seems premature... but they do drive progress.

I was watching the two following clips on YouTube... and without a doubt, I think that Apple made the right choices.

MBA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E98Eyl5Et0w

Lenovo X300: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hnOCUkbix0

/Jim

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I love the fact that Apple is bold enough to get rid of legacy crap. Sometimes it seems premature... but they do drive progress.

I mostly agree but the fact still remains that if you need DVD you'll have to use one of the USB ports, unless you share DVD from an older Mac, which I've done one the 2 occasions I needed it to install software.

I also have a wired KB so that's 2 ports down, add a local printer and you're down to just one USB port unless you get a hub, which I have and assume many other will also.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I mostly agree but the fact still remains that if you need DVD you'll have to use one of the USB ports, unless you share DVD from an older Mac, which I've done one the 2 occasions I needed it to install software.

I also have a wired KB so that's 2 ports down, add a local printer and you're down to just one USB port unless you get a hub, which I have and assume many other will also.

It's a first world problem. When we invented USB... we designed it to support 127 devices through cheap hubs. That single fact (decoupling peripherals from the number (and type) of physical ports)... plus our decision to provide external power are the two that propelled USB to ubiquity.

If you have more than 4 devices connected to your iMac... you already have a mess of wires. Using an external hub probably allows you to hide much of it away... actually creating a cleaner installation.

/Jim

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'd like to know who has every hung 127 devices of a single USB port.

I have 2 Hubs, a Belkin 7 port USB 2.0 with 4x HDDs and iPhone lead, the 2 forward port are great for thumb drives. Also got a new 4 port USB 3.0 hub for my newer USB 3.0 HDDs including one I use for Time Machine.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I'd like to know who has every hung 127 devices of a single USB port.

At the early USB 1.1 "plugfests" (interoperability workshops)... in the evenings, after all of the prototype testing was over... the engineers from each peripheral company would sequentially plug their devices into a single system. They would chug some beer after each device was plugged in... waiting for the inevitable "blue screen of death". Things kept improving from event to event as USB matured. Eventually, things got good enough that all 127 devices were operational.

Tben... at '98 Comdex we did a large "press event" and invited "Bill Nye the Science Guy" to plug in the final USB device. There was so much static from the carpet in the dry Las Vegas desert air we stopped at 111 devices to avoid embarrassment in front of the press.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/computing/9811/17/usb.cdx.idg/

/Jim

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
So 6x USB3 would have been a good start, it's not like they don't have the room back there..

There aren't 6 USB3 ports in the chipset. If look at the chart here:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4318/intel-roadmap-ivy-bridge-panther-point-ssds/2

You'll see there is only 4 USB 3.0 ports on the chipset even though the total number is much higher. The other issue will be power and shielding for the USB 3.0 ports. It is easy to do crappy USB 3.0 ports that leak all kinds of havoc into the Bluetooth (and other EM ) bands. It is also somewhat easy to do more USB 2.0 so that have "mix and match" USB ports. Apple isn't likely to do that either. ( all USB 3.0 or all USB 2.0 ).

So the chipset has 4 and there are 4 on the back. That's why.

More than a few more general PC motherboard designs put embedded USB hubs onto the motherboard so that get to "all the USB ports you'll ever need" state. Most folks don't need a built in hub so it is not likely going to make an Apple design. Those that need a hub can just buy one instead of making everyone buy one.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
So the chipset has 4 and there are 4 on the back. That's why.

Okay I didn't realize the technical reasons were so restrictive.

I agree it's unlikely Apple would have both USB 2 & 3 on the same computer or device.

I can live with external Hubs as long as they work and look good, I'd love one with USB3, device charger and SD reader but not found anything I like so far.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Okay I didn't realize the technical reasons were so restrictive.

Even if next gen Intel chipsets offer more I wouldn't count on Apple going much higher though. They've never subscribed to running everything slavishly from the chipset to the edges of a Mac.

I agree it's unlikely Apple would have both USB 2 & 3 on the same computer or device.

On an updated Mac Pro there is a chance will get them because the "front" is so far from the "back". I could see Apple keeping the current 5 ( two front , three back ) but transition to either

two USB 3.0 front and three USB 2.0 back

or vice versa

two USB 2.0 front and three USB 3.0 back

They'll probably be using a 4 port discrete USB 3.0 controller solution. (it would match providing 3 USB 3.0 ports on back of updated TB display) Maybe a 2 port controller though in which case the first is nice fit (and perhaps the TB dispaly looses a USB socket.) [ there is a 4 port Fresco Logic controller available so I think they'll go with 4. But Apple pinches pennys from time to time. ]

It wouldn't be surprising though to loose at least one of the front FW ports and that would become the more symmetrical 3 front ( USB 3.0) and 3 rear ( USB 2.0) ports.

I don't think they will put them near each other but very far apart should work with minimal user attention. ( keyboards, printers, mice , security DRM fobs, monitor hubs go in the back and portable/sneaker-net devices go in front. That is a pretty natural slow/old versus faster/new split. )

I'd love one with USB3, device charger and SD reader but not found anything I like so far.

The SD reader is likely the significant blocking factor there. A discrete card reader would still work and could take it with you when necessary.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
The next Mac Pro is anyone's guess, so here's my guess. If they keep the same basic layout and case design then I can see 2 USB3 ports on the front and maybe 3 on the back, I don't see them mixing USB 2 & 3 and I'm sure the 2x on the front will be shared. FW might go from the front and replaced with TB but I think the Pro will retain 2x FW800 on the back along with 2 TB ports.

But getting back the iMac I really wish they found a way to put 1 or 2 USB 3 ports on the side or underneath, so the lead goes down, it would be easier to get to and when not in use you'd never know they were there. Also I wish the SD card was a tiny slot on the side, maybe at the very bottom on the 'chin' again much easier to use every day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.