Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Hopefully the iPhone 6 will be bigger (wider and longer) and not just longer. And include an NFC chip

I never understand this thing about complaining the phone is not wider, all phones are moving towards 16:9 and the iPhone was the the first. You didn't hear this crap about wider when the galaxy nexus came out with the 16:9 screen.

Anyway the new aspect ratio is a better advance to make it wider and longer which would only make things bigger on the screen. Also 16:9 is a standard aspect ratio what makes you think apple would be dumb enough to just increase length again to an aspect ratio that wouldn't even make sense?

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
I never understand this thing about complaining the phone is not wider, all phones are moving towards 16:9 and the iPhone was the the first. You didn't hear this crap about wider when the galaxy nexus came out with the 16:9 screen.

Anyway the new aspect ratio is a better advance to make it wider and longer which would only make things bigger on the screen. Also 16:9 is a standard aspect ratio what makes you think apple would be dumb enough to just increase length again to an aspect ratio that wouldn't even make sense?

I dont' think anybody EVER said to make the iphone longer!!! they person you quoted said wider and longer, which would maintain the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Did the iPhone reach its ceiling?

I dont' think anybody EVER said to make the iphone longer!!! they person you quoted said wider and longer, which would maintain the 16:9 aspect ratio.

And he also said "I hope they just don't make it longer". Which I replied it would be really dumb of apple to just make it longer because then the aspect ratio would no longer be at a standard.

Last edited:

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
It's not the iPhone imo,all smart phones have been pretty much the same. Yeah android phones are bigger but don't do anything unprecedented that iPhone cannot do.

walmartmartyr

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
mine does what i want it to do. anything else would be gimmicky.

I want quality, fast, quick pics, simple easy to use, battery life, screen, email, txt, games, phone quality, style. In the future it will be nice to just take your phone when you leave the house and leave the wallet home, but I doubt that day is comming soon.

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
Don't forget that it wasn't android that came out with NC center. Jail broken iPhones had that feature first.

Well it did come from Android. NC from jail broken iPhones had to have been influenced from Android (or an operating system if it had it before android). The HTC G1, the very first publicly released Android phone with Android 1.0 had this drop down notification bar. My guess is back then, jail broken iPhones did not have this feature for a notification bar. As android grew, I'm sure that's how the devs in the jail breaking scene decided to come up with their own notification bar. Which then Apple took n included it in iOS. I mean I'm only 21 so maybe some older OS had drop down notifications before Android 1.0 but I'm almost positive the whole Notification Center in some ways based on Android. Lets not be naive here. We all know each OS influences each other. Apple with their Notification Center and Android with their Google Now, to some extent. But as other have said, NFC is the big one that still has yet to caught on. I see some vending machines with NFC pads on them for phones or credit/debit cards that have them. Some CVS stores and all the WaWas around here have them. But I think that's pretty much it. I wish it would have caught on better. Maybe if Apple includes it, it will catch on better because when you're able to use it, it's very useful

----------

Now if someone can prove me wrong, go right ahead. But the first iPhone was released June of 2007. The first android phone was released in October 2008. I highly doubt the JB community thought about and created NC within that year and some change span

quietstormSD

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
San Diego, CA
As it stands now, I don't think NFC is a big deal. How many people have I seen utilizing it in the real world? Zero, and I live in the Atlanta area -- not the middle of nowhere. I'm sure the companies using NFC technology are just scratching the surface of what the technology is capable of, though. The only thing I could envision using it for in terms of its abilities now would be those tappable sensors that you can put on the dashboard of your car to change settings on the phone.

I think NFC in Android phones right now is a lot like Passbook on iOS. People get their new phones, get all excited about having NFC or Passbook for about a week until they realize the use cases for the technology right now are very few and far between. Then, they just go back to doing things the way they've always done them in most cases. Even on the Android tech geek podcasts I listen to, no one is saying anything about the usefulness of NFC in their daily lives.

Now, if the major credit cards and banks start embracing the technology, that changes the game. I could envision a time in 5-10 years where the PIN-input machines we all use now go away and each merchant has an NFC terminal where they can see a unique ID for each device in the vicinity that has an NFC chip. You get up to the clerk, they ask you what your unique ID is (a random four-digit code that changes after each transaction and is visible on your screen). You tell them the code, they push the transaction details to your device, you choose the method of payment from your digital "wallet", complete the transaction, and get an e-receipt on your device. That's what I want to see from NFC; but I think it's still several years into the future.

I see what you're saying. But I think if Apple pushes into the NFC world, that would further push the technology and vendors adopting the use of the technology too.

Also Apple is pretty strict of not letting carriers sabotage their "apps" or "functionality" of the phone, or even the look (not allowing carrier logos right on the hardware). So I think that may help NFC more, because Apple won't allow carriers to hinder the NFC experience with their own NFC payment options.

I do agree, once credit card companies get on board with NFC, that is when it will truly be awesome. Just today, I was out and about and forgot my wallet. It would have been awesome if I had my credit cards loaded on my phone and just pay that way.

jayrflow

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2013
I completely agree that of Apple includes it, NFC will take off. I've seen some cards with NFC chips in them but not a lot. Just imagine how simpler life would be with NFC of Apple helped push it forward.

The one thing tho is that Apple would have to abandon this aluminum casing they have on the iPhone 5. With my experience on Android, if you have a case that's made of aluminum or metal, NFC would be completely borked.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Well it did come from Android. NC from jail broken iPhones had to have been influenced from Android (or an operating system if it had it before android). The HTC G1, the very first publicly released Android phone with Android 1.0 had this drop down notification bar. My guess is back then, jail broken iPhones did not have this feature for a notification bar. As android grew, I'm sure that's how the devs in the jail breaking scene decided to come up with their own notification bar. Which then Apple took n included it in iOS. I mean I'm only 21 so maybe some older OS had drop down notifications before Android 1.0 but I'm almost positive the whole Notification Center in some ways based on Android. Lets not be naive here. We all know each OS influences each other. Apple with their Notification Center and Android with their Google Now, to some extent. But as other have said, NFC is the big one that still has yet to caught on. I see some vending machines with NFC pads on them for phones or credit/debit cards that have them. Some CVS stores and all the WaWas around here have them. But I think that's pretty much it. I wish it would have caught on better. Maybe if Apple includes it, it will catch on better because when you're able to use it, it's very useful

----------

Now if someone can prove me wrong, go right ahead. But the first iPhone was released June of 2007. The first android phone was released in October 2008. I highly doubt the JB community thought about and created NC within that year and some change span

I believe the first android phone came out in 2008. SBsettings has been around since 2007, so neither apple nor google came up with the idea. Google did improve on the idea though. Now if you want real innovation from software then you will not get it from google or apple and you will have to look at the JBdevs or the Devs for android like on XDA. But like you said who knows the original drop down menu might have even came out before SBsettings for another phone. Anyway my notification bar with intelliscreenX is much better then any notification bar from apple or android.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The rest of the world, NFC is been used for years, so it's not the technology, it's something else that's holding back the usage in the U.S. The Four Square folks and one other are working on it, but yeah, it will take a hardware vendor, with marketing muscle to make it happen. Samsung, as big as they are, you don't really expect them to break-thru a market.

With iPhone1, I said I wait for Stereo Bluetooth and real GPS, now that I got it, that's all I really want, everything else am gonna ask how useful? and do I really want to pay for it.

Just started to play with the camera too. Nope, my old Sony 8 mpp point&shoot with real optical zoom is still better than the iPhone's, not as convenient.

lbros360

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2013
Have you ever tried the Galaxy Note 2? It's a beast phone. Way better than this iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 is my work phone n the Galaxy Note 2 is my personal phone. I'm no Android fanboy (I own an iPad 4, iPad mini, MacBook Pro and an iPhone 5) but damn the Galaxy Note 2 runs laps around the iPhone 5. That's if you can deal with the huge size of the phone

I know how you feel!!! I LOVE my note 2. Best phone out there

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Did the iPhone reach its ceiling?

I think HTC reached it for Apple.

HTC%20One_Silver_3V.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.