Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
i have an ipad 4, when is the ipad 5 expected to come out? april? do u guys think i should sell my ipad 4?

pwfletcher

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
I have a four and am not concerned with getting the 5, but I may unload it to get the new retina mini. However, not sure how comfortable surfing the net on that little screen would be even if it is retina. :confused:

pwfletcher

macrumors regular
May 2, 2002
Yes, sell to me

Don't forget to save a little money for the new iWatch ;-)

Seriously though, what more could the iPad 5 offer than we already have right now? More storage? We already have maxed out specs. I don't see a significant jump in technology coming with the next upgrade.

Last edited:

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Gazelle is already only offering $375 for a 64 gig wifi iPad 4 in flawless condition. Wack.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
Forget Gazelle. Craig's List that beazy, put it on Ebay or Amazon.

And btw, I love my iPad 4. When the 5 is announced, THAT is when I'll sell my iPad 4 because I'd rather lose another $50-75 in the selling price than go a few weeks without an iPad. I use this thing EVERY day.

Also, don't forget that the jail break will not be available for the iPad 5 probably until next year. They WILL patch the 6.1.2 exploit before dropping iOS 7.0.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I wonder how many people include JB when considering their next upgrade path. If that's your priority, like essenar hinted at, now would actually be the time to buy/hold on instead of sell

It doesn't seem to be mentioned all that often

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
i have an ipad 4, when is the ipad 5 expected to come out? april? do u guys think i should sell my ipad 4?

What will the iPad 5 give you that the iPad 4 doesn't do? Don't worry about what apple may or may not release with the 5, the iPad 4 is a great device and the 5 will only be incrementally better - apple typically just makes evolutionary updates, not revolutionary updates, i.e., small updates vs. large ones.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012

You ought to introspect why you own the iPad in the first place.

Is it because you find it useful and enhances some functions in your life?

Or is it a symbol to show off that you have the money to buy the latest and the greatest?

It's not my place to judge the two choices, but if you agree with the former, then keep your current iPad as long as it performs the functions you wish it does. If you agree with the latter, then sure sell the iPad and get in line for the iPad 5.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I would wait to see what the 5 offers before selling. The iPads aren't that expensive to begin with so you wouldn't lose loads of extra money by waiting.

crghwkns

macrumors member
May 31, 2011
Nobody really needed to upgrade from iPad 3 to 4, especially now they're doing these twice-yearly updates.

They're going to push even their most loyal hipster customers too far soon.

narutoninjakid

macrumors 6502
Dec 6, 2012
New Jersey
Just got a 4 32GB WiFi. The next iPad im getting is probably gonna be the iPad 6 or 7. You have to skip in between generations iPad 5 is not really meant for iPad 4 owners in my opinion in terms of extra features.

----------

I wonder how many people include JB when considering their next upgrade path. If that's your priority, like essenar hinted at, now would actually be the time to buy/hold on instead of sell

It doesn't seem to be mentioned all that often

That's one of my reasons for getting a 4 i know how long we had to wait to get these jailbreaks. Without tweaks an iPad value in my eyes is dramatically reduced lol. iPad 5 will have no jailbreak for a while.

Commy1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Enjoy the iPad 4, it's a great piece of hardware and the newest one will basically look like the iPad mini, except fill size, there won't be anything wondrous about it.
Save your money, wait for the new Apple rumor products to come out and reevaluate.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
This is my opinion.

But the iPad is a very mature product at generation 4 now. Sure if you want to burn money and resell it now, do it before new ones come out (sometime between April-September.

It's a guessing game at this point. If you are a serial ipad updater who gets new ipad every generation. Than I'd suggest you just get the low end 16gb wifi model each time to minimize your loss.

For "normal" people the iPad 4 will last at minimal 2 or even 3 years easily.

Ipad 2 was good enough (and still good enough after almost 2 years). The iPad 1 had lack of RAM (256MB) and that's why it was discontinued after 2 years.

I suspect ipad 2 to be supported through iOS7 (because iPad 2 and iPad mini run essentially the same specs).

The only reason iPad 4 was released much earlier than expected was
1. Apple wanted to move to the lightning connector on iPad and iPad mini and iphone devices.
2. Apple realize the A5X chip was barely able to support the Retina display on iPad 3 and almost all high def games were scaled down.

go ipad

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2012
It's not even March yet. Why selling your perfectly fine (I assume it's in good condition) device?

I am a heavy user, but also waiting for iPad 5 and will wait LONGER for any updates. Selling it right now is way too early.

How much can you get it anyway, if sell it now?:confused:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

I heard Q3, if you really must get the iPad5 then I'd say sell now, and save up a bit more money on top to get the iPad5 128GB. Personally wouldn't do that as I'd just buy the next iPad and give my 4 to a family member, but if you are going to sell rather do it early before there's a rush to sell them.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Gazelle is already only offering $375 for a 64 gig wifi iPad 4 in flawless condition. Wack.

Gazelle is for chumps.

A 32 gig wifi iPad 4, in flawless condition, with a case thrown in, recently sold on swappa for $499.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Gazelle is for chumps.

A 32 gig wifi iPad 4, in flawless condition, with a case thrown in, recently sold on swappa for $499.

Thats nuts I just watched a iPad 3 16gb Black go for $400 on ebay. I'm thinking about selling mine.

Luis2004

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2012
Thats nuts I just watched a iPad 3 16gb Black go for $400 on ebay. I'm thinking about selling mine.

Swappa's pretty good generally, at least for Android devices. Just sold my Galaxy Nexus, which was going for about $125 on eBay, for $200.

I'm thinking of maybe selling my iPad 3 as well, but I'm not sure. I'm thinking the iPad mini will be obsolete sooner rather than later because of non-retina and crappy RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.