Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crooks

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2012
CALIFORNIA!
Hi All,

I'm a prospective college student looking to buy an iPad. I'm currently deciding between a 32GB iPad 4 or iPad Mini 32GB and I don't know which one to pick. I can't wait until Fall 2013, so I have to pick between these two. Hopefully someone can give me some advice?

I would use the iPad primarily for: watching movies, web browsing, some gaming, and taking it to school to do some research, notes, etc. Weight matters, but the iPad 2is already pretty light for me to carry in a backpack. (I realize the iPad 3/4 is a bit heavier, this shouldn't really matter too much)

Screen res is a big one, but my father owns an iPad Mini and I find the screen "bearable". I own an iPhone 5 so I can immediately tell the difference.

I love the design of the iPad Mini, but I can't take the low res screen and A5. On the other hand, I love the iPad 4's screen, but the design is a bit outdated, not to mention its noticeably heavier than the iPad Mini. Again, the weight isn't too much of an issue. The A6X is a benefit, but not a dealbreaker.

I'm seriously torn on which to go with :(

mac00l

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2011
Everyone will tell you something different.

For me the iPad mini is perfect, currently is the device I use the most. But for each its own.

The screen is not perfect, but the size and weight is. It's a no brainier for me. If I had to sell everything, the iPad mini would be the last to be sold.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
For day-to-day use, I find the iPad mini to be perfect for my needs. It's small, compact, has great battery life. The screen does not bother me at all. It think this is the perfect iPad for long term handheld use.

The iPad (regular) is fine, but it is certainly bigger. But it's also got more power, has a nicer display (even though I don't need it, I wouldn't say I don't want it), battery life is just as good. For viewing movies on a table (for handheld of a shorter period) it's excellent; much better for watching between a few folks. Also for research and note, the bigger screen is easier to use.

For me I moved from an iPad 3 to an iPad mini. I don't regret making the change one bit. I love the size of the iPad mini, the performance is adequate for my needs, and I don't mind that it doesn't have a Retina display.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
For me the mini is too smsll to be useful, it feels cramped typing on it and so on. When I am bringing my ipad the 2 choices that either size allows for are in my hand or in a bag. In neither case would the smaller mini be easier to bring.

JTyler82

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
Personally, I LOVED the mini. When I returned it, 2 clerks even asked "who returns an ipad mini?!"

I just needed something with a better (NOT bigger) screen. Because I mainly use it for ibooks/textbooks for school.

I would just buy whatever is gonna suit YOUR needs. Think about the future. Think about are you gonna be happy or regret it even after your 30 day return policy.

Last edited:

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
If you have an iPad 2 and don't care about size, can you really justify a mini? Yes, it has a better screen, but not wildly better and the smaller size and smaller text pretty much cancels out any benefit.

I would lean towards keeping my iPad 2 and waiting for the next generation. Either the iPad 5, or the mini 2 if it has a better screen than the current mini.

If I've misunderstood and you don't currently have an iPad, then maybe I would be tempted to get 16 GB mini because it's much cheaper and then replaced it when the iPad 5/mini 2 is released.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
Hi All,

I'm a prospective college student looking to buy an iPad. I'm currently deciding between a 32GB iPad 4 or iPad Mini 32GB and I don't know which one to pick. I can't wait until Fall 2013, so I have to pick between these two. Hopefully someone can give me some advice?

I would use the iPad primarily for: watching movies, web browsing, some gaming, and taking it to school to do some research, notes, etc. Weight matters, but the iPad 2is already pretty light for me to carry in a backpack. (I realize the iPad 3/4 is a bit heavier, this shouldn't really matter too much)

Screen res is a big one, but my father owns an iPad Mini and I find the screen "bearable". I own an iPhone 5 so I can immediately tell the difference.

I love the design of the iPad Mini, but I can't take the low res screen and A5. On the other hand, I love the iPad 4's screen, but the design is a bit outdated, not to mention its noticeably heavier than the iPad Mini. Again, the weight isn't too much of an issue. The A6X is a benefit, but not a dealbreaker.

I'm seriously torn on which to go with :(

To me the key word in your post is "bearable", I don't feel you should spend that much money on something that is "bearable" because after awhile it is going to become "unbearable"

Aug 5, 2012
The mini is too small for proper use.

The screen is noticeably bad as well.

All in all not a great first gen item.

Either get full iPad or wait for the retina mini.

Onimusha370

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
even though i love my mini, for doing college work i'd say the full size ipad is better suited to your needs

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006

You know you don't have to trash the mini simply because you don't like it. If you prefer the full sized, talk about *it's* good or preferred qualities, but I suppose it's always easier to be negative than positive?

BTW, the screen is *not* noticeably bad, it's *not* too small for proper use, I use it for reading PDFs of journal articles (from JSTOR) and book scans for school all the time, it's the main reason I bought the thing, so I'd say I'm getting more "proper" use than some who buy a full sized iPad with no use in mind whatsoever but just want the device "because" (which is absolutely fine).

The mini is a wonderful device, it's one of the best devices I've ever owned, and there are millions of other actual mini owners who would agree vs. a bunch of armchair spec whores most of whom have never even touched the thing but derive some strange sense of superiority by trashing something (ad nauseam).

My advice regarding an iPad, both would be wonderful devices, you won't go wrong with either one. Personally, I'm a portability whore, my laptop is an MBA 11" because size and weight reign supreme with me so I went with the mini and I couldn't be happier (it's as close to the size of my wonderful Kindle, which sadly can't display PDFs well enough). If portability isn't such a thing with you, go with the full sized iPad. If portability is important, go with the mini - also the mini is a great gaming device (got to do something fun when you're not studying, right?!). Good luck with your decision, as I said, neither would be wrong and no matter what decision you make, remember Apple products have great resale value, so you can always sell yours and upgrade when the next version of either one comes along without losing a lot of money - I think both upgrades will be exciting when they come.

Last edited:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I'd get neither and worry more about having a decent laptop for college. But since you asked, you've already answered your question on ipads. You prefer the bigger retina screen.

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
The mini is a wonderful device, it's one of the best devices I've ever owned, and there are millions of other actual mini owners who would agree vs. a bunch of armchair spec whores most of whom have never even touched the thing but derive some strange sense of superiority by trashing something (ad nauseam).
What two things would you like to see them improve in the next version?

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
What two things would you like to see them improve in the next version?

Good question. I'd say: 1) display - I'd be an idiot to say a better resolution screen would be unwelcome, but also I'd love for them to come up with some display that incorporated the benefits of e-ink displays, where you can read for days and weeks not just hours (I just love reading on my Kindle Paperwhite), and of course anything they can do graphics-wise that would make game playing on it even better, I'm all for. 2) size/weight - thinner and lighter will never be a bad thing in a device that is all about thin and lightweight.

As for the iPad full sized, I'd love to see it get the "mini treatment" (i.e. thinner, lighter, smaller bezel if that's possible and practical). I don't see the full sized iPad replacing a mini of mine, but at some point I could easily see getting another full sized iPad (used to own a gen 1) as a complementary device (but that's a luxury at this point for me).

What about you?

Aug 5, 2012
You know you don't have to trash the mini simply because you don't like it. If you prefer the full sized, talk about *it's* good or preferred qualities, but I suppose it's always easier to be negative than positive?

BTW, the screen is *not* noticeably bad, it's *not* too small for proper use, I use it for reading PDFs of journal articles (from JSTOR) and book scans for school all the time, it's the main reason I bought the thing, so I'd say I'm getting more "proper" use than some who buy a full sized iPad with no use in mind whatsoever but just want the device "because" (which is absolutely fine).

My advice regarding an iPad, both would be wonderful devices, you won't go wrong with either one. Personally, I'm a portability whore, my laptop is an MBA 11" because size and weight reign supreme with me so I went with the mini and I couldn't be happier (it's as close to the size of my wonderful Kindle, which sadly can't display PDFs well enough). If portability isn't such a thing with you, go with the full sized iPad. If portability is important, go with the mini - also the mini is a great gaming device (got to do something fun when you're not studying, right?!). Good luck with your decision, as I said, neither would be wrong and no matter what decision you make, remember Apple products have great resale value, so you can always sell yours and upgrade when the next version of either one comes along without losing a lot of money - I think both upgrades will be exciting when they come.

Just my opinion.

I bought it and was really disappointed. Ended up giving it to my cleaner for her son to have.

I'll try again when the retina version is released.

bobbysmith

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
What about you?
1) A digitizer so you could take notes and draw with a thin stylus, 2) more memory or a redesigned browser that doesn't reload all the tabs when it feels like it, 3) a better screen so small text (especially figure text, footnotes, and so on) is more comfortable without having to zoom, 4) a less slippery back. The current one is made of lube, except for the Apple

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

Given what you said here, I think you should get the iPad 4.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Is it pretty much 100% confirmed that the new iPad 5 will NOT be released next month like previous generations?

I think it is doubtful that a new iPad will be released in the next month or two as Apple just recently updated them. However, only Apple knows for sure.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
iPad 4 in my opinion. iPad won't make a great productivity platform FYI, lacks a file system and if you're a master at the keyboard/mouse a laptop is superior.

Good for everything else you listed though.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011

proper use? whats that?

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The screen is my biggest problem with the mini. After using devices with much higher pixel density the screen is noticeably worse. I'm not going to say it's unbearable or bad but I'm not going to say I can't notice the difference either. The A5 is fine but the RAM may become an issue at some point and for me it already is in some cases. Putting 512mb into it is just stupid. Other than that, the size is very handy and it runs full iPad apps. If longevity is what you're looking for though, go with the iPad 4. We have the 3 and it's still very portable and the weight isn't an issue. It will last you a long time and it has a much more modern CPU architecture that I'm willing to bet apple won't ditch with the next generation iPad. The iPad 4 will serve you well and last you longer. With the Mini you could upgrade more often however because of the price.

Even though I have the mini and really like it I'd recommend the iPad 4 for your situation.

Beezzy

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2011
I just got an iPad 4 32GB, I can't use a mini, no retina display and it has an A5 CPU in there, it is a buzzkill for me when my iPhone 5 is more powerful than my tablet. The iPad 4 is the perfect size, games, videos, and apps look amazing on the screen. I like the size personally better than the mini, until the mini is Retina, I can't consider it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.