Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
A federal court ruled Thursday that Intel's Itanium processor violates patents owned by Intergraph and ordered Intel to pay $150 million in damages.

The ruling is the culmination of the trial phase of a bitter, multi-issue dispute, dating back to 1997. Huntsville, Ala.-based Intergraph, once a close ally of Intel's in the workstation market, alleged that Itanium, an Intel chip for servers, infringed on designs embodied in two Intergraph patents and in its Clipper processor, a microchip formerly used in Intergraph's workstations.

Years ago, a court threw out antitrust complaints filed by Intergraph, and this past April, Intel agreed to pay $300 million to settle claims that its Pentium lines of chips infringed on Intergraph patents.

Notice that they infringed Intergraph's patents on the Pentium as well, interesting.

150 mil isn't anything they can't handle, but it doesn't make them look good.

And you're complaining why?;)

Enjoy.:)

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
hahahaha

sheesh microsloth steals from apple and intel steals from another processor company, jeez isnt it just typical? they cannot do anything original

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Nice to see that Intergraph has come out a winner again. They're amazing! I'm not sure that the money will help a lot, other than to pay the attorneys' fees, though.

If only it were so easy to prove software issues.

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
my only question is

why did they get so little money? i mean if intel hadn't stolen like they did, its possible other chip fabs could have been more successful than intel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.