Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMacAttack1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Recent convert from my PC and running into an inconvenience on my Mac w/iTunes 11.

On my PC, when I added mp3s to my music folder and then dragged them into iTunes, it was set up where the mp3s would automatically organize themselves into the appropriate folder.

On my Mac, when I add the mp3s to the music folder, then drag them into iTunes, they are added to iTunes just fine, but still sit as individual mp3s in my music folder instead of going to the appropriate folder.

I do have "keep itunes media folder organized" checked. I have tried to uncheck, then recheck it. This did not help.

Also, is there an easier/faster way to add music to iTunes and keep it organized in my library (like, rather than adding mp3s to my music folder then dragging into iTunes, is there a way I could get the to drag into iTunes directly and still be added into my music folder).

Thank you!

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Your mp3s won't move from your music folder when you import them. If you have the "Copy items to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library" option ticked, you can then delete the originals after import.

BigMacAttack1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Your mp3s won't move from your music folder when you import them. If you have the "Copy items to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library" option ticked, you can then delete the originals after import.

Yeah, I'm not trying to make copies, but rather simply get the mp3s to automatically go to the folder for the musician within the "music" folder. For example, I downloaded a Flaming Lips album and I drug the mp3s to my "music" folder and from there into iTunes. On my PC, when I added them to iTunes, they would automatically organize themselves into the appropriate folder for the musician. I can't seem to figure out how to do this on a Mac. Surely there's a way rather than doing it manually.

BigMacAttack1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Bellingham, WA
I called Apple on this and the guy told me to check "Have iTunes make a copy in the media folder" or whatever it's called. I haven't done this in the past. He said once that's done, I can delete the other folders and all of my music will just be in the iTunes media folder. He also said that when I download new albums, I can drag the files from Downloads in the Finder to iTunes and they'll then be automatically added/organized in my iTunes media folder. Anyone out there have this set-up or done this before?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

I called Apple on this and the guy told me to check "Have iTunes make a copy in the media folder" or whatever it's called. I haven't done this in the past. He said once that's done, I can delete the other folders and all of my music will just be in the iTunes media folder. He also said that when I download new albums, I can drag the files from Downloads in the Finder to iTunes and they'll then be automatically added/organized in my iTunes media folder. Anyone out there have this set-up or done this before?

That's how it's always worked for me. Drag into iTunes, delete original folder.

I have it set up a different way on my mini with external hard drives, but that's because I have a lot of video.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
told me to check "Have iTunes make a copy in the media folder" or whatever it's called. I haven't done this in the past. He said once that's done, I can delete the other folders and all of my music will just be in the iTunes media folder.
Hmmm...where have I heard that before???

Oh yes...
If you have the "Copy items to iTunes Media Folder when adding to Library" option ticked, you can then delete the originals after import.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.