Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jread

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
I have gone a couple of years with just an iPad and iPhone, and using an old Windows laptop when I need an actual "computer". I have pretty much made my iPad my primary computer and only use my phone for music, texts and calls. I also use my iPhone when I need internet access and am not near WiFi since my iPad is WiFi-only.

Lately I've been looking at the MacBooks as I really like the new ones with the retina display. I'm used to retina screens and really don't want to use a regular screen anymore, so I was definitely intrigued when they became available on the MacBook. Another reason I'd like to have a MacBook is that my old Windows laptop is too outdated to play the latest games, etc. and to be honest I really miss having a keyboard. I get by with the keyboard on my iPad, but it's definitely a lot slower and less efficient to type on it.

I know there are people who have every Apple product, but I am not really interested in that. I have no use for an iPod Touch, for instance, because it doesn't offer anything that my iPhone 5 doesn't already do. As for the iPad, I love its portability, but I miss having a keyboard and I miss having the processing power to do more than play iOS games, check email or surf the web. I mean, my iPhone can do all of those things anyway, just on a smaller screen.

So, are there any of you who have all three? Do you actually use all three? I really just want to have either the iPad or MacBook Pro, but not really both. Is the MacBook Pro portable enough that you can take it everywhere? I haven't decided if I want the 13" or 15" as I do like the better hardware available on the 15". It seems like having a dedicated video card would make a lot of difference (but I'm just assuming here).

Anyway, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. The MacBook Pro is insanely expensive so I don't want to get it and end up just using my iPad all the time instead. I'd like to have the MacBook Pro for more intensive computing and use my iPhone for anything iOS related. I guess I'm just worried that the MacBook Pro probably won't give me the portability that I get with the iPad.

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
First of, you dont really need the retina display. The normal display is already so great that you cant find the pixels. Retina means you can put your macbook 10cm from your eye and not see the pixels, but you dont do that in real life computing.

Second, all the macs suck for gaming, as well as most windows notebooks. If you want gaming on current titles, you need a nice PC with at least a GTX 650, that one being a great card already. Any computer would be great for your old library of games.

The macbooks are very portable, and might replace your ipad for most uses. I still use a ipad when Im laying down on bed, its better cause its lighter/smaller and easier to hold. I also use it for quick website acess while Im plying in my Mac (I simply play not that current games)

From my perpective, you would be fine with any macbook or a Sony Vaio (the reason I recomend them is because they have multi-touch, just like the macs)

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
My work involves multiple virtual machines, necessitating a high end rMBP for me. My iPhone 4 is also very heavily used. My iPad is handy for presentations and reading. Love 'em all for different reasons. iCloud keeps them all in sync.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
I have a MacBook Air,and iPhone,I got myself an iPad mini two weeks ago,but found it just lying around unused,I was still using my Air over the iPad-ended up returning it.

view2darrel

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2012
i am a windows user all my life. i have an ipad and iphone. at first i was hesitant to buy a mac since its expensive. but i needed to replace my dying laptop. i also have a gaming desktop since i also like to play games. so i bought my 1st mac. MBP mid 2012. since then i rarelyuse my desktop. once you get a mac you'll never go back to windows. im loving the os environment. specially icloud. it syncs all over my devices. i write on my ios devices. my mac syncs it. i write on my mac then my ios syncs. i dont have antivirus installed and my mac never gets one, (doesnt mean its virus proof , macs are rarely getting virus, trojan etc. depends on your usage) i really love it. it also has great selection of apps , you'll never regret getting a mac. well its my opinion though. its your choice in the end :). hope my experience helps you decide.

if you want portability get the air. be sure to max out the ram (8GB) its not user upgradable. macbook pro is user upgradable using 3rd party ram , ssd and hdd. it will not void warranty as you can always put back the stock equipment when claiming warranty.

sn0wman72

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2010
I would think that many folks on this forum have 3 or more Apple devices

I for one have an iMac, iPhone, iPad, and a MBP. The iPhone is used as a phone and portable email device. In many ways I prefer the MBP (13") to the iPad for recreational use...email, surfing the web etc. The iMac I like for the big screen...all that real estate is nice when working on multiple things.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
See my sig for the devices I own.

Not to brag, but one (irritating) thing that apple has done well is to sufficiently differentiate their products such that they can never serve as complete replacements for one another.

Granted, the iMac does get used a little less these days, but since I share it with my dad, I couldn't simply get an external display and call it a day. Get a MacBook if you must, you will find they all complement one another very well.

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
I'm in the process of getting either an iPhone 5 or a Note 2. At the moment I have a MacBook Pro and an iPad 4.

MacBook Pro = Work horse, document writer, media center, game station (Yes, it plays games quite fine), download hub, mass storage.

iPad 4 = Communications device, game station, videos in bed, book reader, class notes.

What the phone will offer = pictures when I'm out, Yelp'ing on the road, viewing PDF's when I'm on the road, WiFi hotspot, occasional game if I'm at the DMV or doctor's office, messaging people when I'm in class or at work.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Computers are well past being a novelty. Most people (in the first world) have needs, wants and desires that cannot be met by a single device (satisfactorily).

I have a MBP, iPhone and iPad. If I had to ditch one, it would be the iPad, no question. However, I expect that in time it will be the MBP that goes.

Jmhoey

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2013
All depends

Basic but important question you pose. The answer ultimately will depend on the scope of your usage. I have all three. I am an IT professional and a professional photographer. Until recently I had a 21" iMac and replaced that with an rMBPro. With the latest models I finally had the options I needed: 16GB RAM, 768GB SSD, dedicated video card.

I use my iPad religiously. I conduct business on it (Square and Intuit Cc processing), show clients photos, use iWork, Dropbox, over 200 apps have a use for me. I can do most of this on the iPhone as well, but it doesn't look all that professional. I replaced the iMac with the rMBPro because I also write and wanted the portability. I am still chained to my desk for photo work, my Aperture library is on a 4TB external drive. While the iPad can tether to my Nikon the laptop is a far better tool for live review of shoots. Also, my work in IT calls for Citrix and RDP access to servers and workstations from home. The iPad can do it, but a true laptop is the only way to go.

I will often carry both the iPad and rMBPro around in my bag. Some business apps for iOS are just not available on OS X and even if they were it would not be as convenient to whip that out over an iPad. My iPhone is used for calls and texts, and tethering when needed.

So from that brief overview of some of my uses, how does your daily use compare? Investing in a laptop is costly to be sure, and not at all necessary if you do not have pressing needs. Wonderful as my iPad is, it simply can not do full Photoshop, Aperture, Final Cut, and a number of CS6 programs I use for my business and video editing at times. If you do not have those kinds of needs I would save the money and put it to something else. If your are more interested in gaming, and want to stay with Apple, consider loading up an iMac. Otherwise look into a PC designed specifically form gaming. Makes me shudder suggesting a Windows PC.

All in all my house has three current MBPros, all 15", two white MacBooks, two iPhones, two iPads and an iPad mini, a G5 tower, even a Mac Classic and Apple IIgs. They all get used regularly and heavily. I would suggest taking a week and logging your use, make note of the times you find yourself thinking "ah, if I had a laptop for this..." and see how it pans out. Again, ultimately you need to inventory your use and needs to come to a suitable decision. If you do go for the rMBPro you will love it. Lightest thing out there besides the Air, great screen, works like a dog and asks for more.

Best of luck.

KiwiAdventure

Suspended
Dec 7, 2010
New Zealand
My iPhone 5 is almost redundant and will be my last iPhone purchase for a few years as my iPad 3 is used more often while out and about seeing clients. It is also fantastic on planes watching movies/TV shows and on Holiday.

My Macbook Pro has Parallels for pricing. I tend to use it more for internet surfing than my iPad due to the bigger screen. What I really want is a larger iPad screen.

If I was to update any of the three I would update my iPad if the new 5 is a lot better.

My Macbook Pro is just under 3 years old. Apple Care replaced my 160g drive with a 500g when it stopped working last month so no need to change it now.

I am looking at up dating my wife's iPad 2 end of next month so I hope the iPad 5 is out by then.

What I have found I can sell my 12 to 24 month old iPhones and iPads for good dollars this is the only reason I purchasea an iPhone 5.

Last edited:

mslide

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2007
I have a 13" MBP, iPad mini and an iPhone and I use all three extensively on a daily basis.

iPhone: Aside from the obvious, phone calls, it's used for web stuff while on the go and when we don't have the iPad with us.

iPad mini: The main casual internet device. While at home, the iPad is the device I use most and at first I thought it would be the opposite. I use it all the time for web surfing, reading news/books, etc. We also take it with us while on the go and use our iPhone's wifi hotspot for internet.

MBP: Used when I want/need to do real work.

The iPad and MBP might seem redundant but I don't think so at all. I can't do real work on in iPad and web browsing/reading/watching youtube videos/etc is such a nicer experience than on the MBP or iPhone. iPhone's obvious since it's the most portable and necessary for phone calls.

auhagen

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Denmark
Well I have all 3 devices. Other than that I got a iMac and a Mini.

As others have said, they complement each other, but if it wasn't for my old job, I would never have gotten the iPad. I rarely use it, but it's a fun toy and it has its purposes.

iPhone = Phone, and mail when I'm on the job.
Macbook P = Mainly used for web browsing, and communication.
iMac = Workstation and for gaming.
Mini = Server, Plexserver, iTunes server, Plex in my home cinema.
iPad = Remote for Plex, used for airplay, some days I use it for web browsing and communication instead of the MBP.

I would love to get rid of the MBP and the iPad in trade for a lovely 13" air, but that will only happen when 512gb ssd's are way cheeper.

xShane

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2012
United States
I have gone a couple of years with just an iPad and iPhone, and using an old Windows laptop when I need an actual "computer". I have pretty much made my iPad my primary computer and only use my phone for music, texts and calls. I also use my iPhone when I need internet access and am not near WiFi since my iPad is WiFi-only.

Lately I've been looking at the MacBooks as I really like the new ones with the retina display. I'm used to retina screens and really don't want to use a regular screen anymore, so I was definitely intrigued when they became available on the MacBook. Another reason I'd like to have a MacBook is that my old Windows laptop is too outdated to play the latest games, etc. and to be honest I really miss having a keyboard. I get by with the keyboard on my iPad, but it's definitely a lot slower and less efficient to type on it.

I know there are people who have every Apple product, but I am not really interested in that. I have no use for an iPod Touch, for instance, because it doesn't offer anything that my iPhone 5 doesn't already do. As for the iPad, I love its portability, but I miss having a keyboard and I miss having the processing power to do more than play iOS games, check email or surf the web. I mean, my iPhone can do all of those things anyway, just on a smaller screen.

So, are there any of you who have all three? Do you actually use all three? I really just want to have either the iPad or MacBook Pro, but not really both. Is the MacBook Pro portable enough that you can take it everywhere? I haven't decided if I want the 13" or 15" as I do like the better hardware available on the 15". It seems like having a dedicated video card would make a lot of difference (but I'm just assuming here).

Anyway, I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this. The MacBook Pro is insanely expensive so I don't want to get it and end up just using my iPad all the time instead. I'd like to have the MacBook Pro for more intensive computing and use my iPhone for anything iOS related. I guess I'm just worried that the MacBook Pro probably won't give me the portability that I get with the iPad.

If you intend on getting a 15" rMBP (and spending that kind of money) to play the latest games and for typical web browsing use, you're getting it for the wrong reasons.

It sounds like the iPad is a great device for your needs, with a few minor annoyances. Have you tried hooking up a keyboard to it?

As for the iPad, I love its portability, but I miss having a keyboard and I miss having the processing power to do more than play iOS games, check email or surf the web.

Elaborate please. Which demanding processes/applications do you plan on using?

jread

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Austin, TX
Big thanks to all of you for your replies so far!

If you intend on getting a 15" rMBP (and spending that kind of money) to play the latest games and for typical web browsing use, you're getting it for the wrong reasons.

It sounds like the iPad is a great device for your needs, with a few minor annoyances. Have you tried hooking up a keyboard to it?

Elaborate please. Which demanding processes/applications do you plan on using?

Well, I don't have any truly demanding processes. I do not do any photo processing or anything like that. I am in IT for work and do a lot of application development, server management, etc., but any of that I do outside of the office is done using GoToMyPC, which is "ok" on the iPad but still a bit clunky and difficult to use (even worse on the iPhone though I've made it work when I had to).

As far as games, I'm not looking for anything too intense. I mainly want to be able to play Star Craft 2 with some friends and maybe a few other games that are not too demanding (though still too demanding for my old Windows laptop). Other than that, I'd mainly use it for browsing the internet, which the iPad is adequate for but you still don't get to full experience like you would on an OSX machine.

I don't know, maybe you're right... maybe the rMBP is overkill. There are just many times where the limitations of the iPad become an issue and I wish I had a non-iOS machine to get things done. I was thinking that with the rMBP being so light and portable now, maybe I wouldn't mind carrying around a laptop again (especially one that can do so much more than my iPad). This past weekend I had to do a lot of work on an Oracle database and a few servers, and it was absolute hell trying bang out command line text using GoToMyPC on the iPad.

pingfan59

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2011
I have an iPhone, iPad, and a MBP 15. I use all of them most of the time.

i use the MBP for starcraft 2 and wow. Along with school work that is better suited for the full safari browser or windows using parallels.

use iPad for surfing the web, doing basic assignments such as discussion forums. News, social media, and presentations, etc.

I usually carry all three with me most of the time and it depends on the time or need that warrants either the iPad or the MBP.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I have all three and then some:
1) iPhone for phone calls, alarm clock, calendar reminder, navigation, sushi restaurant finder, movie ticket buying, taking pictures, pandora, ect.
2) iPad for jotting down notes, project planning, mirroring for presentations, email, mobile movie watching, reading books, internet research, games, coastal (water) navigation, latest news, ect.
3) MacBookPro is used to write code, internet research, light photoshop work, document writing, email, presentation mirroring (rarely)

It sounds like you need a little of both, but nothing specialized, so I'd go with portability, something like a Mac Air 11" or 13". I carry my MacBook around just about everywhere, but in in a backpack. It's not as mobile as an Air ( heck those things are silly easy to carry around ). The dedicated GPU is really what you are worried about, why? For 3D model development and heavy texturing I use a 27" iMac, not the MacBook Pro.

Last edited:

Essenar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2008
You can't pull out your iPad when you're in between work out sets at the gym, at a restaurant eating or on a break at work and you want to look up magazine articles, play a quick game, post a status update on Facebook or look up a cool place to play pool with your friends later.

You can't effectively take notes during a meeting or class, watch a Netflix video when you're in bed or read a book while you're in the bathroom taking a dump using your MacBook.

You can't use an iOS device to write a journal, download gigabytes of data from a server, store thousands of photos, edit photos/videos, do research, play Borderlands or update your Google Calendar effectively.

Is an iPad, an iPhone AND a MacBook necessary? No. But someone can definitely be a lot more productive with their work if they know how to utilize all three.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

I have all three plus two iMac's. Each has a purpose that I use them for. The iMac's do all my heavy work, like video and audio editing. The iPhone, obviously as a phone and the most mobile device for things. The iPad for more relaxed browsing and reading when I am out and about or on the couch. The MBP is for when I am either mobile or away from the iMac and yet need to do some more serious work that is otherwise cumbersome on the iPad.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Mac Pro, 17" MBP, 15" MBPr, 13" MBA, iPad 4, iPad Mini, iPhone 5. All see very heavy usage for work & personal.

Each are different & I have very specific reasons for each. There's no substitute for having the best tool for the job :)

DrakeInception

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
You definitely should get a MacPro. I just got mine running Mountain Lion a day before, and it works great. Especially if you have to do a lot of typing and presenting stuff because PowerPoint is just so shi*tty compared to keynote. In fact, I have to present some stuff tomorrow and I swear to god Keynote effect is just so incredible.

bkends35

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2013
USA
I've got a rMBP, iPad 4, and a Galaxy S3. Ever since I got my MBP, I've used it tons more than my iPad. I use my phone for browsing on the go and a few games, iPad for games and web browsing at home or on plane rides and my rMBP for actually getting stuff done like typing papers and doing projects.

I would definitely recommend getting a MBP or MBA because you can get so much more done compared to an iPad. Although they're very expensive, they last years and years, many people use them for 5 or 6 years no problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.