Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Point is, bad commercials or what (I think they OK), Apple is making itself visible to the movie loving world.

Last edited:

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Still can't decide if this ad campaign is working or not - see one of the ads on TV and I kinda shake my head, then during the next ad break another one is shown and it kinda seems to work. Sitting on the fence with a drink or 2 over Apple's new ad campaign. Could be worse...?! Or it could be better...

I agree. It seems the viewer is bombarded with too much information, in which case people tend to tune out.
In advertising, simple powerful messages usually work better.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
Why do they have to yell out the words?? It would be so much better if it was just the text and background music...

I agree, but I think these are OK. I think it would also be better if they showed more of the useful and/or popular apps and functions. At least they showed a few movies; the iPad is surprisingly excellent for watching movies. A little display of AirPlay showing the movie on a big screen would be cool because that's one of my favorite functions.

----------

Fail...

The words are "Lights," "Camera," "Action."

Yes I know you were trying to make a point, but it didn't work. :rolleyes:

I seriously laugh at those who say these ads are annoying and loud. Get a grip people, it's a 30 second ad and they 'yell' every 10 seconds for .5 second. Not that bad people. Maybe some are on their computers too much and the slightest noise hurts their ear drums. :( Hope none you live the big city, you might hear a car honk or someone sneeze in your home. :p

:rolleyes:

It's the shouting combined with the music. I think it's more cheesy than annoyingly loud. The iPad is supposed to be a chill machine. You sit on the couch with it or do work on it at a desk. Remember that word Steve always used: "zen". I don't think Jobs would have approved of this ad's music and shouting, and I don't either.

Also, imagine watching the academy awards with the flowing Jurassic Park music then seeing this. It's annoying.

Renzatic

Suspended
This ad is fine for me. Wonder why anyone complaining about loud? No it's not.

Because it's not...dare I say...Apple enough.

I can imagine the perfect iPad commercial. It starts out with just a white screen with some light jazz playing in the background. Nothing more. Then an iPad appears in the midst of all this white. The jazz tempo picks up a bit. Then, after about 10 seconds of staring at the iPad, the word "iPad" appear on the screen.

In Helvetica.

Cue fade out. Commercial ends.

I bet people would spazz right slap the **** out over that commercial. They'd be sitting there in their post modern bean bags, tears streaming down their cheeks, screaming "It's so CLASSY! I feel like I just watched the Rolls Royce of advertisements! WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING WITH MY LIFE"?

It'd be most pulchritudinous.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
HEY!

Why is everyone griping about Apples commercials??

The Samsung Zombie Unicorn ones really suck!

COME to think of it, that is another full broadside at Apple.
Epic war, and the casualties are Microsoft, Nokia, BlackBerry, Motorola and like.

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Because it's not...dare I say...Apple enough.

I can imagine the perfect iPad commercial. It starts out with just a white screen with some light jazz playing in the background. Nothing more. Then an iPad appears in the midst of all this white. The jazz tempo picks up a bit. Then, after about 10 seconds of staring at the iPad, the word "iPad" appear on the screen.

In Helvetica.

Cue fade out. Commercial ends.

I bet people would spazz right slap the **** out over that commercial. They'd be sitting there in their post modern bean bags, tears streaming down their cheeks, screaming "It's so CLASSY! I feel like I just watched the Rolls Royce of advertisements! WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING WITH MY LIFE"?

It'd be most pulchritudinous.

AND make it in classic Black and White! :D

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I wonder if all the people who hate these new Apple commercials would rather watch another Big Pharma ad for the latest, greatest miracle drug and its laundry list of side effects.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Apple, if Hollywood is still something you're interested in...

...Get your Mac Pro replacement out the door. Show us you're still interested in Macs for movie content creation.

...Think about how your pro app trajectory has Shaken out. You have serious competition now. Many studios no longer view your pro products as killer apps. Be mindful of this.

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Fail...

The words are "Lights," "Camera," "Action."

Yes I know you were trying to make a point, but it didn't work. :rolleyes:

I seriously laugh at those who say these ads are annoying and loud. Get a grip people, it's a 30 second ad and they 'yell' every 10 seconds for .5 second. Not that bad people. Maybe some are on their computers too much and the slightest noise hurts their ear drums. :( Hope none you live the big city, you might hear a car honk or someone sneeze in your home. :p

Worked for me. Thought his post was hilarious. And so did the other people that upvoted it.

Fatalbert

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2013
HEY!

Why is everyone griping about Apples commercials??

The Samsung Zombie Unicorn ones really suck!

COME to think of it, that is another full broadside at Apple.
Epic war, and the casualties are Microsoft, Nokia, BlackBerry, Motorola and like.

Doesn't matter how bad the Samsung commercials are.

----------

Hey Apple! Hey! Hey Apple! Apple, Apple, hey! Hey Apple!
People make movies on Mac Pros, not iPads! ;)

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Ever since the Genius ads, the advertising department has been putting out some ads that are straight up bad. That yelling of, "lights, camera, action," would have been cheesy in an ad for iMovie in 2000, let alone 2013.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I don't think people will get what the iPad can do with these ads. I think the main thing you would take away if you were paying attention is that you can watch movies, but even that's not really clear. Maybe the idea is that it can do everything. I'm not an ad exec, but I don't think a 30 second commercial should have more than one really simple idea.

Even lights, camera, action is not simple because those are "clever" words, not things people do. If you had instead: take a movie, edit a movie, watch a movie, that would be easier to follow. As it was, the three categories didn't make sense to me, and I watched the ad several times looking for the logic in it.

Even Apple's ads for the iPhone where they talk about something as boring as having a second microphone for better sound quality leaves a lasting idea with the customer, such as: Oh, I hear the iPhone has good sound quality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.