Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Mophie today announced the iPhone 5 version of the Juice Pack Air, which offers more battery life than the recently announced Juice Pack Helium for the iPhone 5.

mophiejuicepackair.jpg
The ideal case for the everyday 9-5er and for those whose day doesn't always end when they leave the office. Lighter and thinner than previous generations, but packed with more power to make sure your phone can keep up with your busy lifestyle.
While the Helium comes equipped with a 1500mAh battery, the Air offers a 1700mAh battery, which promises to double the iPhone 5's battery life, adding an additional eight hours of LTE use. The Helium, in contrast, is only capable of charging an iPhone battery to 80 percent, offering six hours of LTE use.

The Air and the Helium share a similar thin design, but the Air is slightly larger in all dimensions, including weight. The Air is 2.60 in x 5.54 in x 0.63 in and 2.68 oz, while the Helium is 2.49 in x 5.49 in x 0.59 in and 2.44 oz.

The black version of the Juice Pack Air will ship in 7-10 days, while the red and white versions will ship on March 22. All three cases can currently be purchased through Mophie's online store. for $99.95.

Article Link: Mophie Announces Juice Pack Air for iPhone 5

Nrwrit3r

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2010
I would be excited, but honestly the ibattz is so much better, since it's cheaper and gives otterbox protection. No idea why it isn't more popular than mophie!

gefsmith

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
I bought the helium when they first went on sale. Unfortunately it's not syncing when connected via the microUSB.

Have to pull the bottom off to sync. Not a good start out of the box.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I bought the helium when they first went on sale. Unfortunately it's not syncing when connected via the microUSB.

Have to pull the bottom off to sync. Not a good start out of the box.

Perhaps your unit is defective? I've never had issues syncing through previous juice packs.

cameronjpu

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2007
I just wish Apple would make a limited edition iPhone that included a larger battery. That way you wouldn't have to have the added thickness of two extra layers of plastic when you added the battery like this.

dweezle3

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2010
Earth
I just wish Apple would make a limited edition iPhone that included a larger battery. That way you wouldn't have to have the added thickness of two extra layers of plastic when you added the battery like this.

Exactly! Maybe I'm in the minority, but I personally wouldn't mind a phone that's even twice as thick as the current iPhone 5 if it meant double the battery life. I think Apple's taken the "thinnest phone on the market" competition a bit too far, and I'm sad to see that sacrificing features such as battery life was even a consideration for them.

abz786

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2007
Alberta, Canada
whats funny is that i have had mine now for almost 2 weeks haha!!! they are just announcing it now!!! Wow, mine must have slipt through the system! :D:D:D

CmdrPuffin

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2013
Exactly! Maybe I'm in the minority, but I personally wouldn't mind a phone that's even twice as thick as the current iPhone 5 if it meant double the battery life. I think Apple's taken the "thinnest phone on the market" competition a bit too far, and I'm sad to see that sacrificing features such as battery life was even a consideration for them.

I wouldn't mind a phone that's more than two times as thick as the iPhone 5 if I could actually use it like I wanted to and not have to worry about the battery constantly. I have to carry a power pack with me to charge if I ever want to play games, watch movies or use the GPS on the go.

I've managed to take my iPhone 5 from 100% to 0% in 3 hours before with heavy use. 1434 mAh is not enough for power users. We really need to at least have the option of more. Until then at least there's mophie.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2010
Does anyone still really have a problem with their iPhone five battery?

I use mine pretty heavily throughout the day but at night I still have plenty of battery left.

I get about 7 hours use before charging again.

----------

That's a great idea. I'd be interested if it lasted 2-3 days.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012

The probability Apple will design a second back and a second battery for a second model i5 is zero.

----------

whats funny is that i have had mine now for almost 2 weeks haha!!! they are just announcing it now!!! Wow, mine must have slipt through the system! :D:D:D

Do you have an Air or a Helium?

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
If Apple actually put a battery in the iPhone that lasted a full 9-5 work day like they should, these "packs" would not be necessary..

Apple, get your act together, whats the point of a Smartphone, that you have to treat like a dumb phone and not use to get it to last a full a working day on a single charge ?

Innovate, apple, give us a smartphone that last a full day on a single charge, instead of doing the dumbass thing of making it 11 microns thinner everytime you update the phone

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Yep, what good is a phone that's so thin and light you don't even notice when you're carrying it if it doesn't last more than a few hours when using the powerful features it supports and you have to bulk it up with cases like these?

iproductsuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Perhaps your unit is defective? I've never had issues syncing through previous juice packs.

The iPhone 5 helium and jp air are NOT advertised to sync via wire to a computer. This is known and that's why mophie states on their FAQ's that you can sync wirelessly.

Swampthing

Suspended
Mar 5, 2004
Yep, what good is a phone that's so thin and light you don't even notice when you're carrying it if it doesn't last more than a few hours when using the powerful features it supports and you have to bulk it up with cases like these?

Of course, you do realize this isn't just an Apple problem? ALL the major smart phones on the market don't last much beyond a day anymore. It's become a pretty standard part of life... go to bed, plug in your smart phone to recharge overnight.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
If Apple actually put a battery in the iPhone that lasted a full 9-5 work day like they should, these "packs" would not be necessary..

Apple, get your act together, whats the point of a Smartphone, that you have to treat like a dumb phone and not use to get it to last a full a working day on a single charge ?

Innovate, apple, give us a smartphone that last a full day on a single charge, instead of doing the dumbass thing of making it 11 microns thinner everytime you update the phone

'Lasted a full 9-5 work day', 'last a full working day' and 'last a full day' are meaningless terms.

Based on how I use my phone, my i5 lasts me two, 'full 9-5 work days'.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.