Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which option should I take to repair my vehicle?

• Fix the vehicle myself

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Hire a mechanic

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
Hello all,

I own a 2008 Mazda Tribute. I want to replace the PCV Valve on my vehicle. The bad news is the PCV Valve sits right underneath the intake manifold. I have never done this before and I don't have all the tools. I just own a 125-piece tool set from Home Depot. But I can buy the factory service manual from Ebay. It's the same exact manual the Mazda Mechanics use at the dealership. It costs $110 and $14 S & H.

I know I can rent tools from the auto parts store. I have all the parts I need. I have the PCV Valve, PCV Hose and the intake manifold gasket set.

I'm trying to save money and really want to do it myself. It will be a great learning experience. Unfortunately it's our only car. But I do know it will take longer than getting a qualified mechanic and it will cost more money if I get a mechanic. By the way the mechanic is a acquaintance of mine. Worked for many car places and has experience. He will be doing this as a side job. So it will be cheaper than the shop rate.

So I'm not sure what is the cheapest route to take hire the mechanic I know or do it myself?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Let the mechanic do it. You will end up wasting more money doing it yourself considering you might have to rent some tools out and buy a manual. They sell a lot of junk at some stores too, my dad found that out last year when he tried to replace something and it was either too small or flimsy.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
  1. Do you know the problem with your car?
  2. Do you know how to fix it?
  3. Do you have the resources to fix it?

If you answered no to any of these questions, I'd get a mechanic. It'll save you a lot of hassle.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'd never try and do something like that on my own. I say mechanic especially considering it is your only car.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
PCV valve is like the easiest thing to swap out in a car.

Don't waste your money on a factory repair book either, you can probably find a Chilton book or something for like 20 bucks.

jc0481

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 16, 2005
No info on net on how to replace?

Nope nothing. Please let me know if you do find something. I did find some but it's for the older Mazda Tribute models. Not the 2008 model.

I have looked at a Haynes manual but very vague on the repairs I need to do. I will look into Chilton.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.