Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghettochris

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2008
Real gamers don't want this stuff or kinect type controls

I would not want to use that for a first person shooter. I don't want to have to hold my arms up, relaxing on armrests with keyboard and mouse is how I want to control my character, at least until they come up with a direct brain interface where I can control the character with my mind alone.

icanboogie

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2008
Berlin
Did anyone preorder their's? I submitted my order but did not receive a confirmation page that my order went through or an email confirming my order.

I did!
They did shut up & they took my money.
I'm on preorder #61, which feels pretty cool.

I also have concerns about battery life, though. might help if it works on bluetooth 4, but I didnt find info on this.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Why track electric signals in your wrist? Why not just track them directly in your brain? Surely that's gen 2 - I'll wait for it.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
The demo video shows someone scrolling by waving two fingers in the air (mimicking the standard OS X trackpad gesture), snapping fingers to start iTunes playing, rotating a fist to increase the volume, holding up a hand in a 'stop' motion to pause a video, gesturing backwards to rewind a video and snapping fingers to play the video.

This all sounds like a solution in search of a problem to me.

Unless and until this gee-whiz tech is easier to use than a standard remote control, it will be relegated to purchase by only the enthusiast market, and later, to early retirement at the back of a drawer.

Does anybody remember the CueCat? And how it was the next big thing and would change the whole world and everything?

220px-Cuecat2.jpg

Or even more on point......

10265-powerglove.jpg

Last edited:

Gugulino

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2008
Switzerland
It's awesome, but I'm curious as to how it interprets intended motions vs. accidental input. The clip of the snowboarder is particularly humorous. The arms are flailing around but at some point it recognizes that a little flip of the wrist means "change track."

This is not an insurmountable technological hurdle, but I'd be curious to hear how the developers address it. It could be a deal breaker if every time I scratch my butt it shares my current status to Twitter.

Perhaps you have to say "Computer" or push a button before this thing reacts to your moves.
Another hurdle could be that every human is different anatomically.

KohPhiPhi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2011
For everyone who thinks this is cool and Minority Reports is the future of computer interaction, just wave your hands in the air for a half hour and then tell me how cool this is. You'll be back to the mouse in no time.

I agree. Holding your arm in the air constantly will create muscle pain very fast. I was already experiencing that pain playing Call of Duty in the Wii (you aim with the controller).

asiga

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2012
It's uncomfortable. Nobody will do aerobics when using computers.

The weird thing is, when reading the article, I was thinking of Wozniak even before I read he liked the idea. Somehow, it's the kind of idea Woz would consider cool.

What I don't get is why a number of people here considered it practical. It's quite unpractical. Time will show that touchpads and trackpads are far more comfortable than this.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
For everyone who thinks this is cool and Minority Reports is the future of computer interaction, just wave your hands in the air for a half hour and then tell me how cool this is. You'll be back to the mouse in no time.

i would say 10 min or less.

however the demos for these devices however impractical they may be look very cool and technology behind it will be used in some smart way.

how does the all conquering siri fit into this type of vision?

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
I think all this stuff gets more interesting when it's all tied together. Imagine this thing being aware of proximity and direction along with appliances connected to an "internet of things". Then add "natural gesture recognition" that acts like Siri, but for movements. So you point at your lights to turn them on, gesture "calm down" with your hand until they're dim enough for you and then give it the thumbs up to lock it in.

When we get a motion, voice, and manual override, then scientists can fully focus on having machines understand us the way another human would. Making an "I'm not sure" gesture with your hand means generalize a little, because this isn't quite it. Pinching your fingers together in a "little bit" gesture means to increment in smaller amounts... or whatever another human would understand it to mean in that particular context.

Instead of learning how to talk to the computer (or object/appliance) it becomes a case of "let me tell you what I want. Let me show you what I want. Let me jump in and take over the fine control".

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
i would say 10 min or less.

however the demos for these devices however impractical they may be look very cool and technology behind it will be used in some smart way.

how does the all conquering siri fit into this type of vision?

its clearly not for computers or repetitive tasks. but for something that you need to do few times a day...control home related stuffs, an odd game or two, a presentation perhaps?
and thats what is shown in the video.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
This tech would be great in prosthesis.

Exactly.
Imagine a robotic hand responding to the signals generated from someone's forearm. For someone who had lost a hand, full function would be restored in a very natural way for them.

Now imagine that same robotic hand, attached to a small rover, responding to the forearm motions of someone watching a monitor of the hand, remotely. The ability for true human dexterity in environments where no human hand could safely exist. Microscopic nano-hands for precise surgical or chemical engineering feats. Hydraulic mega-metal hands for construction projects.

Neat.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
its clearly not for computers or repetitive tasks. but for something that you need to do few times a day...control home related stuffs, an odd game or two, a presentation perhaps?
and thats what is shown in the video.

Why would someone pay $149 for something you will use "a few times a day" and, more importantly, that you can do just as easily with the hardware included on the computer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.