Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlexMaximus

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2006
A400M Base
one question though remains..

Hello Minority Report!

but..

In 10 years from now, -will the real "Jedi Lightsaber gadget developer" have come from the Apple platform ???

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
Would be great for controlling Keynote presentations. Since my MacBook doesn't have the IR port which older models had, and Keynote Remote in my iPhone doesn't work on my school wifi unless I turn on Personal Hotspot, this armand would surely be a coolest way.

I'm only wondering how the developers dealt with uninentional moves filtering.

AENAON

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
Cyprus
This is one incredible idea!

A lot of posts compare it to kinect, google glass or powerglove or even a normal touchscreen/trackpad. But if what I think is right, this will be the killer interface.

I think that for one reason: latency.

kinect takes visual input. Gesture must complete, line of sight and good lighting is mandatory, and then it can register a motion.

google glass needs voice commands, by far the worst and slowest input, prone to all sorts of errors like noise, accents, background voices...

even a trackpad needs to wait for a motion to complete in order to register it as a command and we're super happy with it.

Now, this can register the spasm of your muscle before it even sets your hand in motion. If they've played their cards right, this is by default the best damn interface ever! At least as quick as a touchpad, no line of sight needed, and infinitely more gestures than a trackpad.

Seriously, shut up and take my money!

SmileyBlast!

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
This is one incredible idea!

A lot of posts compare it to kinect, google glass or powerglove or even a normal touchscreen/trackpad. But if what I think is right, this will be the killer interface.

I think that for one reason: latency.

kinect takes visual input. Gesture must complete, line of sight and good lighting is mandatory, and then it can register a motion.

google glass needs voice commands, by far the worst and slowest input, prone to all sorts of errors like noise, accents, background voices...

even a trackpad needs to wait for a motion to complete in order to register it as a command and we're super happy with it.

Now, this can register the spasm of your muscle before it even sets your hand in motion. If they've played their cards right, this is by default the best damn interface ever! At least as quick as a touchpad, no line of sight needed, and infinitely more gestures than a trackpad.

Seriously, shut up and take my money!

Except when you shudder or sneeze at the wrong moment and accidentally erase your hard drive or something.

I think they need to be really careful implementing this with a good redo/undo system in place.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Pretty cool technology, but I have absolutely no interest in ever using it.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
I find it interesting. This product just gave everyone the "wow" factor. Apple doesn't do that anymore. Technology is moving too fast for Apple.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I often practise playing the flute to backing music; but the awkward thing is if I make a mistake, I have to go to the computer and restart the song. Something vaguely like this would be perfect - if it could recognise when I'm playing and match the music to it; restart when I do.

Even better - if it's accurate enough - it could analyse my playing and highlight errors/weaknesses.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
For everyone who thinks this is cool and Minority Reports is the future of computer interaction, just wave your hands in the air for a half hour and then tell me how cool this is. You'll be back to the mouse in no time.
Or once again resting palms on a keyboard. Even "voice" commands wear you out. We are fat, lazy and hopeless until they fix gravity.

As far as the tech goes... if I see anybody walking down the street wearing google glasses and waving his arms spasmodically while talking on his bluetooth... well, he's fair game for whatever "accident" befalls him.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I find it interesting. This product just gave everyone the "wow" factor. Apple doesn't do that anymore. Technology is moving too fast for Apple.

I think it happens in every industry. A dominant player (which Apple is in the smartphone & tablet markets) doesn't want to rock the boat. The innovation tends to come from smaller companies with nothing to lose.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
YEEESSSSS! This with Google Glass, and we're 10-20 years ahead of our movie technology predictions!

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida
I did!
They did shut up & they took my money.
I'm on preorder #61, which feels pretty cool.

I also have concerns about battery life, though. might help if it works on bluetooth 4, but I didnt find info on this.

Oh my gosh I thought this was a concept! Awesome!! Trying to decide if I should pre-order. Can't see much use for it YET because not much has been developed for it. It's awesome nonetheless.

jyen

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
Rsi

Just think of all the RSI problems this thing is gonna cause. Looks cool, but I don't think think it'll be practical in the long run.

Cancelled
Jul 30, 2012
READ the FAQ!

OMG! This is something truly Revolutionary! And people aren't even reading the 1-page FAQ there before posting ignorant remarks!

https://getmyo.com/faq

Here's some of the answers there, posted for Your Laziness:

What about accidental input?

We use a unique gesture that is unlikely to occur normally to enable and disable control using the MYO. The MYO alerts the user via haptic feedback to let them know when it is enabled and detecting movement.

Will the myo fit my arm?

The myo has been designed as a one-size-fits-all device that will accommodate most individuals.

What sort of precision does the myo have?

The MYO senses gestures and movements in two ways: 1) muscle activity, and 2) motion sensing. When sensing the muscle movements of the user, the device can detect changes in hand gesture right down to each individual finger. When tracking the positioning in space of the arm and hand, the device can detect subtle movements all directions.

----------

Just think of all the RSI problems this thing is gonna cause. Looks cool, but I don't think think it'll be practical in the long run.

You don't have to use it all the time! It can be disabled easily with a gesture. And why on earth do you think it won't be practical in the long run? Evolution of this technology will mean that just twitching your fingers will be enough to control anything!

jyen

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2012
OMG! This is something truly Revolutionary! And people aren't even reading the 1-page FAQ there before posting ignorant remarks!

https://getmyo.com/faq

Here's some of the answers there, posted for Your Laziness:

What about accidental input?

We use a unique gesture that is unlikely to occur normally to enable and disable control using the MYO. The MYO alerts the user via haptic feedback to let them know when it is enabled and detecting movement.

Will the myo fit my arm?

The myo has been designed as a one-size-fits-all device that will accommodate most individuals.

What sort of precision does the myo have?

The MYO senses gestures and movements in two ways: 1) muscle activity, and 2) motion sensing. When sensing the muscle movements of the user, the device can detect changes in hand gesture right down to each individual finger. When tracking the positioning in space of the arm and hand, the device can detect subtle movements all directions.

----------

You don't have to use it all the time! It can be disabled easily with a gesture. And why on earth do you think it won't be practical in the long run? Evolution of this technology will mean that just twitching your fingers will be enough to control anything!

If you can disable it with a gesture, how will you turn it back on? Once it's disabled, it won't detect any gestures. It's a catch-22.

Just to clarify about "long run," I mean that you won't use it for an extended period of time. The concept is cool, but in practice it wouldn't be that valuable as it would wear you out (try lifting up your arm and flex your forearm for 5 seconds, and you'll see how tiring that can be). Granted, there probably will be other applications where it would be more useful.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
its clearly not for computers or repetitive tasks. but for something that you need to do few times a day...control home related stuffs, an odd game or two, a presentation perhaps?
and thats what is shown in the video.

well they do show it switching apps and controlling itunes. and something as trivial and easy to do as increasing volume

i think its smart technology and as is often the case with them the end usage is a bit different and exceeds the original idea.

btw how does it know what device its supposed to control?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.